IGNORED

PS2/Playstation 2 - let's talk about it

CT

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, goldenpp72 said:

I feel like PS3 has a lot less stuff that will go into 'super rare' territory, I wonder what could do it?

There are a few "super special" editions that were so prohibitively expensive when they released (couple hundo) that most people wouldn't pony up for em, making them relatively rare. Though this feels almost like cheating.

Sadly the most rare PS3 games are stupid sports games. (see: NBA Elite 11, NCAA 14)

There are a few "rare" (ish) games that I imagine will go up. Like I say, horror. 

23 hours ago, austin532 said:

It was a major selling point for the system no doubt. My parents even used my PS2 a few times to watch movies until they finally bought a DVD player.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:47 PM, Tekdrudge said:

I was working at Game Stop when the PS2 came out. I was pretty disappointed with the launch lineup, but I think the backwards compatibility and DVD capability helped greatly. The PS2 was the first DVD player for most people my age.

Oh yeah, that was such a big deal at the time. Which is pretty funny now.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Link said:

Oh yeah, that was such a big deal at the time. Which is pretty funny now.  

I remember my local Block Buster Video had to put up a sign after the Mark Whalberg Planet of the Apes came out, because for some reason the DVD didn't work on the PS2. They had a crap ton of people bring it back and complain.

• Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

One of these days Gloves I will get your super secret awesome curation list! I WILL HAVE IT! LOL.

gadgetclaw.gif

Truth is, I actually have a fair idea of what is rare and will probably be eventually expensive on PS3 specifically, due to my decade or so of dedication strictly to that one console (and trophy hunting). I know what's rare because I spent a lot of time buying/selling/searching for specific titles. Most of it will be imports, but there are some titles in NA for sure.

What will REALLY suck is the PS4, in part due to LRG and others. I'm looking at you, Poop Slinger.

image.png

image.png

One interesting thing is that the Xbox stuff doesn't seem to get very expensive over time. I imagine the 360 will end up getting some pricier stuff just because people will have nostalgia for it in the US, but otherwise the Xbox brands don't seem to carry a lot of devoted oldies fans so far. My original Xbox collection is amazingly good yet worth very little at the time, it's raised some but not like one would suspect.

• Like 1

Question is when we will see the nostalgia boom for PS2?  Maybe 5 or even 10 years ? Will the boom will be just as big as NES, SNES ?  Like is Vice City gonna go up in price, like a $20 game?  Will millennials ever care about getting their childhood PS2 and games etc. ??

3 hours ago, CT said:

Question is when we will see the nostalgia boom for PS2?  Maybe 5 or even 10 years ? Will the boom will be just as big as NES, SNES ?  Like is Vice City gonna go up in price, like a $20 game?  Will millennials ever care about getting their childhood PS2 and games etc. ??

In my experience that boom is happening now. PS2 titles are starting to become slim pickings at my local retro store. It hasn't hit super hard yet but it is very noticeable. Not as bad as GameCube though. Good luck finding a copy of Super Mario Sunshine. A fairly common game that has gone up in value very rapidly. If I could go back just five years and stock up on GameCube games I would.

Also, I want to point out, I personally do not collect for the value, or complete collections but for games I want to play. I am not a fan of resellers.

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

Good luck finding a copy of Super Mario Sunshine. A fairly common game that has gone up in value very rapidly. 

Which fucking sucks because whoever sold me their Mario Sunshine sold me a non-working copy and I didn't realize until a few weeks ago because I only just got my Gamecube set up.

• Sad 2

Just now, Gloves said:

Which fucking sucks because whoever sold me their Mario Sunshine sold me a non-working copy and I didn't realize until a few weeks ago because I only just got my Gamecube set up.

LAAAAAAMMMMMEEE!!!

One reason I hate those tiny GCN discs... Cute af but so fragile!

F dude. 😢

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

That is some shady crap right there. I'm always iffy about buying from people I don't know. I'm one of those guys that refuses to use eBay because of issues I had over a decade ago with eBay. Like Stone Cold says. "Don't Trust Anybody".

Administrator · Posted
Just now, OptOut said:

LAAAAAAMMMMMEEE!!!

One reason I hate those tiny GCN discs... Cute af but so fragile!

F dude. 😢

Very lame. Seriously if anyone has a copy for sale lemme know cuz I haven't ever played it and was really damn looking forward to it but could never get my Gamecube working. Now I have a working one and the FRICKIN GAME won't work.

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Very lame. Seriously if anyone has a copy for sale lemme know cuz I haven't ever played it and was really damn looking forward to it but could never get my Gamecube working. Now I have a working one and the FRICKIN GAME won't work.

There are rumours that Nintendo is planning to rerelease it on Switch at some point. I mean it's still lame but that could be an option if it turns out to be true, and I guess a new Switch cart would also be cheaper these days! Unbelievable where GameCube is at right now!

Administrator · Posted
Just now, OptOut said:

There are rumours that Nintendo is planning to rerelease it on Switch at some point. I mean it's still lame but that could be an option if it turns out to be true, and I guess a new Switch cart would also be cheaper these days! Unbelievable where GameCube is at right now!

I want the original. 😢

I don't really like remakes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

It sucks that you got a bum game, but it actually is a favour to you as the game really is a masochist's paradise at best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How about Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy?

In my opinion, the single most underrated game of that entire console generation.

Basically a Metal Gear Solid game where you get cool psychic powers. Telekinesis that's way more fun than the gravity gun in Half Life 2 (I was bored by Half Life 2 right at release, simply because I had been spoiled by Psi-Ops). Pyrokinesis to light guys on fire to send them screaming like the cultists in the classic Blood game. Mind controlling guards to have them shoot up their buddies ("Bob? What are you doing? AHHHH!!!"). Sneaking up behind guards for a stealth kill that sucks all the juice out of their brain for a Scanners style head explosion.

The game was a constant sandbox of fun. You can pick up guards with telekinesis, watch them flail around, then just shoot them or fling them into a wall or their buddies. Every time you flung one, the game seemed to auto-aim them right into nearby explosive barrels.

2 hilarious highlights I still remember to this day:

- Mind controlling a guard in a sniper tower. Having him snipe all the other guards. Then I force him to jump off the tower and end the mind control in mid-air. He had half a second to go, "Huh? AHHHHHHHH!" before he hit the ground with a snap.

- One section you have run through a circular particle accelerator. A wave of lethal energy constantly travels around and you have to duck into one of the side holes until it passes or get fried. Me and a guard were shooting it out until the wave came. We both stopped shooting and ran for the safety of the hole. I got there first, turned around, and used telekinesis to hold him in place right outside the safe area. He screams as he tries to run in place before the wave fries him.

Definitely get a copy if you can. The game still holds up, and as far as I know is still the closest thing we got to a Magneto simulator.

The only downsides were a boring first 15 minute before you get powers, and the final 2 levels where they just stopped trying (stop playing right after the fire boss).

Edited by fahbs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CT said:

There will probably be an increase, but the nostalgia market will never be anywhere close to NES/SNES levels.

It's not just a matter of waiting until the generation that grew up with them reaches middle age with money to spend, it's the fact that NES was more monolithic. Nintendo WAS video games from 1985 to at least 1990, to the point that a lot of people just said "Nintendo" when referring to video games. It was the birth of the medium (not the first home video game system, but the one that established it as more than a fizzling fad). No future generation will ever be as synonymous to video games.

Also, nobody knew video game collecting would be a valuable thing back then, so nobody thought to save mint condition sealed stuff. Not so with more recent generations. Same exact thing that happened to baseball cards and comic books; everything from beyond a certain year (~1980) are almost all completely worthless because as soon as people realized they could be valuable, speculating collectors started hording everything. There will never be another Honus Wagner card or Action Comics #1.

Edited by fahbs
  • Like 1

This thread inspired me to look for a picture list someone put together and posted on NintendoAge way back. Thankfully I found the thread and here is the list:

Would love to see list like this for other systems EDIT: Looks like a ton can be found here: https://vsrecommendedgames.fandom.com/wiki/V/'s_Recommended_Games_Wiki

ISh6EeI

Edited by snes_collector