IGNORED

PS2/Playstation 2 - let's talk about it

CT

I'm loving the PS2 at the moment.  You can find games on the cheap (albeit having to check for scratched discs), and with an upscaler they look ok on an HD TV.

What games are your favorite ? Lately I've been playing Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, GTA: San Andreas, Burnout 3 and Capcom and SNK compilations.

Also, with Rule of Rose going for hundreds of dollars, what are some other games to look out for that may increase in price in the coming years?

I've been using the PS2 slim, the silver one and it works great!

PS2 is really great, as for things to look out for before they become expensive, it's kind of hard to say. I bought a bunch of stuff years ago under the idea they would be cheap now and not later, and I was right.

Rule of Rose is the pricey one, but Haunting Ground is another and I feel the more people discover it's connection to Clock Tower, the more it will creep up. .hack, Xenosaga, Blood Will Tell, Shin Megami titles, Silent Hill stuff.. Stuff like Chulip, Skygunner, Klonoa, really any of the 'cult classics' that didn't sell much, and PS2 has likely 100+ very good games no one played.

I think my PS2 collection sits at around 500 games and i'm very grateful I took the time to hunt everything when it was like, 10-20 bucks a pop at most. I'm still missing like 8 games but they are of the 'so cheap I can't justify buying on eBay' variety.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, goldenpp72 said:

PS2 is really great, as for things to look out for before they become expensive, it's kind of hard to say. I bought a bunch of stuff years ago under the idea they would be cheap now and not later, and I was right.

Rule of Rose is the pricey one, but Haunting Ground is another and I feel the more people discover it's connection to Clock Tower, the more it will creep up. .hack, Xenosaga, Blood Will Tell, Shin Megami titles, Silent Hill stuff.. Stuff like Chulip, Skygunner, Klonoa, really any of the 'cult classics' that didn't sell much, and PS2 has likely 100+ very good games no one played.

I think my PS2 collection sits at around 500 games and i'm very grateful I took the time to hunt everything when it was like, 10-20 bucks a pop at most. I'm still missing like 8 games but they are of the 'so cheap I can't justify buying on eBay' variety.

Stooooppppp, pleeeeeease.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I still need to pick up some of thooooose. T_T

Might be ugly friend, lol. I don't know if you go for full sets or curated sets, but I spent many hours researching this particular system and have a really nicely curated list on my spreadsheet if you'd ever want to see stuff that might interest you, before it has a chance to creep up further. While I don't tend to go for the games that are already holy grails, I do have a good eye for things that will more likely become expensive 😛

Devil May Cry, God of War got their start on PS2 and they’re some of my favorite games on the platform.

You also have GTA 3 and Vice City.

Then the jRPGs....

Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Xenosaga, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Rogue Galaxy, Persona, Digital Devil Saga, Wild Arms, Grandia, Arc the Lad, Shadow Hearts, and .hack// series just to name a few.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, goldenpp72 said:

Might be ugly friend, lol. I don't know if you go for full sets or curated sets, but I spent many hours researching this particular system and have a really nicely curated list on my spreadsheet if you'd ever want to see stuff that might interest you, before it has a chance to creep up further. While I don't tend to go for the games that are already holy grails, I do have a good eye for things that will more likely become expensive 😛

I have a few of the mains, but not all.

Blood Will Tell and Kuon have eluded me thus far and they WON'T STOP GOING UP. Starting to piss me off.

The expensive games are only going to get more expensive IMO. Once they reach tipple digits, they become trophy pieces that people want to show off on social media for bragging rights and nothing more. Meaning the demand for them goes way up even though I highly doubt they actually play the games.

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I have a few of the mains, but not all.

There Will Be Blood and Kuon have eluded me thus far and they WON'T STOP GOING UP. Starting to piss me off.

Calm down. Drink some LaCroix or whatever that weird stuff you drink is. I guess it's some kind of Canadian tranquilizer.

• Haha 1

PS2 is in my top 2 favorite consoles (Other being Super Nintendo). Recently I played through the first Xenosaga, and I got part way through Cold Fear, but haven't gone back to it in a while. Other than that I've been watching my wife play through Psychonauts. 

I've gotten some pretty good steals this past year or so with PS2. I picked up Xenosaga 2 and 3 in a lot of about 100 games for $60 total, and I got Haunting Ground in a lot which came out to $.50 each... I thought it was alright. I'm wanting to get Kuon but can't drop that kind of money right now. 

I think my favorites in the collection are my sealed black label Kingdom Hearts and FFX. They were some of my first RPGs and mean a lot to me. I had a graded Futurama but sold it recently.

My main focus right now is on PS2 and PS3. No idea if PS3 will ever get expensive.. But I've already gone ahead and purchased pretty much all the JRPGs and horror games with an average buy in of like $10. Have around 220 unique titles. 

Edited by A_Feisty_Pickle

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

I will admit I never heard of Kuon until today, so I am missing one expensive one but it also doesn't look very good? Is it a hidden gem or just, obscure?

I've played it, it's pretty good. I believe though that the primary reason for the high price is that it's a FROM Software game. Pair that with it being a PS2 horror title (which are always in high demand) and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Just now, Gloves said:

I've played it, it's pretty good. I believe though that the primary reason for the high price is that it's a FROM Software game. Pair that with it being a PS2 horror title (which are always in high demand) and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Ah, that'll do it. I always wondered if the King's Field games will ever jack up in price. I don't suspect the obsessive fanbase is aware of their souls nature 😛

Administrator · Posted
Just now, captmorgandrinker said:

The fat PS2s that couldn't read blue bottomed discs correctly and the slims just randomly dying turned me off on PS2.

I still enjoy some stuff too, just got into Burnout 3.

Burnout 3 and Revenge are TIGHT.

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

The fat PS2s that couldn't read blue bottomed discs correctly and the slims just randomly dying turned me off on PS2.

I still enjoy some stuff too, just got into Burnout 3.

I remember having to gut my PS2 to fix it, I forgot the technique but it was always a temporary fix unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Calm down. Drink some LaCroix or whatever that weird stuff you drink is. I guess it's some kind of Canadian tranquilizer.

Have you ever drank Clearly Canadian? It was available in New Jersey in the late ‘90s and early 2000’s and I associate it with my childhood as much as I do PS1 & PS2...

Its the one thing Canada does right. Well that and poutine. (Don’t tell them that timmies sucks, they get nostalgic hurt because it used to be good...or so they say)

2 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Have you ever drank Clearly Canadian? It was available in New Jersey in the late ‘90s and early 2000’s and I associate it with my childhood as much as I do PS1 & PS2...

Its the one thing Canada does right. Well that and poutine. (Don’t tell them that timmies sucks, they get nostalgic hurt because it used to be good...or so they say)

I may have, but I know that I drank Canada Dry ginger ale back in the 90s.

Some great games listed already. I love the Fatal Frame series and think they’re worth it. Also Yakuza, although they’ve been remade now I think.

Don’t forget the Atlus classics if you like JRPGs, persona 3 & 4, Nocturne, digital devil saga and devil summoner.

Also the Shadowheart games are another great JRPG series sometimes overlooked.

I think the real fun with PS2 is when you go the Japanese route and get all their exclusive SHMUPs.

Final Fantasy X is one of my favorite games and GTA Vice City is up there too.  I also remember enjoying a lot of SOCOM II online.  One night I was playing and got surprised when a terrorist starting shooting me.  Somehow I clenched my calves hard enough to give myself two charley horses.  I remember laying on the ground for a minute after getting killed.  I haven't gamed competitively since.