IGNORED

PS2/Playstation 2 - let's talk about it

CT

Administrator · Posted
24 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

I remember having to gut my PS2 to fix it, I forgot the technique but it was always a temporary fix unfortunately.

For the blue bottom games, surprisingly I got them to work as burned games with a flip top mod.   

Tekken Tag was one of my favorite early games and it was very frustrating to only be able to play it some of the time.

2 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Then the jRPGs....

Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Xenosaga, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Rogue Galaxy, Persona, Digital Devil Saga, Wild Arms, Grandia, Arc the Lad, Shadow Hearts, and .hack// series just to name a few.

Everyone talks about how great the JRPG's were on the SNES, but the PS2 is highly underrated in that respect. I appreciate you making mention of the great JRPG's on the console.

• Like 1

I love the PS2, but I will always remember it as the first console I ever owned that died on me.  Of course it wasn't the last, but at least I've only had one PS2 ever fail on me.  I'm on my third PS3.  Oddly enough, I'm still using my launch PS1 to this day and I've never once had to turn it upside down.  

2 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

Everyone talks about how great the JRPG's were on the SNES, but the PS2 is highly underrated in that respect. I appreciate you making mention of the great JRPG's on the console.

I was heavily into jRPGs back in my teens. I was what we would now call a “weeb” these days. Thank god there’s very little record of those days still online...I still google my old usernames once in a while when I need to humble myself and self-cringe 😛

You guys think I’m off the wall today? Jesus, if you only could have read my posts on anime forums 15-20 years ago...and the Gameshark forums from the super early 2000s! (To this day I can’t find the Lik & Skrap flash animations)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

but I spent many hours researching this particular system and have a really nicely curated list on my spreadsheet

Heck yeah.  I love the PS2, reminds me of college.  What are a few of your favorite RPG's and shooters?

11 hours ago, CT said:

what are some other games to look out for that may increase in price in the coming years?

Tsugunai: Atonement, Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color, Graffiti Kingdom, Metropolismania 2, Stretch Panic (Maybe?), Finny the Fish, Raw Danger, Lupin the Third.

I can't speak for how playable any of these games are, these are just pulled from a list I made many years ago titled "Ps2 Games that'll likely be expensive in the coming years", the rest of the titles on the list are all now $30-$200 games. So no point in listing them now!

Edit: A few of these have already gotten pricey it would seem. 

Edited by Sir Centroid

16 hours ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

My main focus right now is on PS2 and PS3. No idea if PS3 will ever get expensive.. But I've already gone ahead and purchased pretty much all the JRPGs and horror games with an average buy in of like $10. Have around 220 unique titles. 

People said the same thing about PS2/GameCube stuff so I will say the same thing will happen to PS3/360 games. Now is a good time to be buying that stuff

• Like 1

15 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

The fat PS2s that couldn't read blue bottomed discs correctly and the slims just randomly dying turned me off on PS2.

I still enjoy some stuff too, just got into Burnout 3.

I had a fatboy 60gb for the longest time and never had an issue with blue bottom discs.  Also had a number of slims and never had issues.  Love the PS2.  It was rock solid IMO.

Best part to me is hacking a fatboy with a large HDD and playing all the games you want off ISOs.  Fun times.

15 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

Ah, that'll do it. I always wondered if the King's Field games will ever jack up in price. I don't suspect the obsessive fanbase is aware of their souls nature 😛

I want the original longbox King's Field PS1 game.  I love all the Souls games and with the Demon's Souls remake coming exclusively to PS5 I can only see the demand getting higher.

I was happy to pick up a nice CIB Kuon about a year ago for $350.  It is now the most expensive PS2 game to my knowledge, overtaking Rule of Rose.  I have that one as well. 

Edited by tbone3969

8 hours ago, Sir Centroid said:

Tsugunai: Atonement, Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color, Graffiti Kingdom, Metropolismania 2, Stretch Panic (Maybe?), Finny the Fish, Raw Danger, Lupin the Third.

I can't speak for how playable any of these games are, these are just pulled from a list I made many years ago titled "Ps2 Games that'll likely be expensive in the coming years", the rest of the titles on the list are all now $30-$200 games. So no point in listing them now!

Yes the have gotten pricey.  You have a good sense it seems.  Any tips on 360 or PS3 games while they are still cheap?  Thanks.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

Are there any physical PS3 shumps released in NA besides Under Defeat? 

Mostly Japanese, alas. Plus side, the console is region free. There's not a lot to choose from, but if you want a "sure thing" then horror and shmups are fair go-to choices. I've been beefing up my horror collection recently myself, buying back some stuff I sold off in the great PS3/4 purge of 2016.

Editorials Team · Posted
15 hours ago, Sir Centroid said:

Tsugunai: Atonement

It's been about 17 years since I played through it, but I want to say it's a fun RPG that can be extremely slow.  Unskippable cutscenes, drawn out combat, etc.

The central gimmick is pretty interesting though.

I know this is the PS2 thread, but I like that everyone is pointing out to be on the look out for PS3 games NOW. Get'em cheap while you can, it won't last that long. I started stocking up on PS3 about a year into the PS4 life cycle. A year from now I will be doing the same with PS4 games. Always think ahead.

Administrator · Posted

I know this is the PS2 thread, but I like that everyone is pointing out to be on the look out for PS3 games NOW. Get'em cheap while you can, it won't last that long. I started stocking up on PS3 about a year into the PS4 life cycle. A year from now I will be doing the same with PS4 games. Always think ahead.

Honestly people have caught on, for the most part, already. Anyone who knows the PS3 library will know what generally to be looking at for long term collectibility/investment, and the key games are already getting somewhat up there. More will follow, and we're still not talking Kuon/Rule of Rose etc. kind of levels, but there are some games sitting around the $100 already that most people have never even heard of.

I feel like PS3 has a lot less stuff that will go into 'super rare' territory, I wonder what could do it?

9 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

I feel like PS3 has a lot less stuff that will go into 'super rare' territory, I wonder what could do it?

I don't know why, but I have this feeling some of the HD Compilations will. Like the God of War or MGS comps. Not sure, just a feeling.