IGNORED

Recommend: Scary/Horror Movies for 8 y/o

Aguy

14 hours ago, Kimbolemonslice said:

Hereditary, I think its time he grows up.

Nah forget that, just go to 11 and start with Martyrs. Good intro to foreign films at the same time, two birds with one stone!

In all seriousness, at that age I think I was watching stuff like Gremlins, Poltergeist, A Nightmare on Elm St and Ghostbusters.

42 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yeah about Gremlins, you know how one of their rules is not to feed them after midnight?  They never bother saying when in the morning it's safe to feed them again.

I always assumed it was like alcohol where there’s just a couple hours break.  What do you do though if you don’t get off work until after midnight?  

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I remember watching the 1986 Invaders From Mars as a kid and enjoying it. But I haven't seen it in many years so don't know how it holds up. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091276/

I saw it again some time in the mid-2000s.  I recall thinking it was a good trip down memory lane and it was enjoyable like watching the Goonies. I say that because I also remember being in college and we had a Goonies showing specifically because my group of friends actually had a few of us who never saw it.  Of course, those of us who grew up with it thought it was amazing. And, to be clear, the Goonies are and were amazing, but the votes were unanimous that the film was "ok" at best for those who didn't grow up with it.

The premise to the film is that there is a boy who awakes in the middle of the night and sees a huge alien space ship descend into a pit behind his home.  No one believes him because, shocker, if you go to the pit you see no sign of a space craft.  But, "strange things" start happening and, IIRC, only a single teacher remotely believes the kid.  Anyway, it's a fun trip and as I hinted, there is a twist at the end.  It's mostly safe for kids.  I'm not into showing my kids horror, especially my daughter because she just can't deal with it, but this is one I'd definitely be willing to show them when my youngest is a a couple of years older.  I guess I'd call it more of a thriller or space horror though.

1 hour ago, RH said:

You'd consider An American Tale to be dark?  I must be misremembering it but I felt it was an average Don Bluth film.

All of Don Bluth's cartoon's were dark. I think those two would feel scarier for an eight year old than say his other big ones like Land Before Time or All Dogs Go To Heaven.

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Estil said:

Yeah about Gremlins, you know how one of their rules is not to feed them after midnight?  They never bother saying when in the morning it's safe to feed them again.

That's what's so great about Gremlins 2:

'What if they're eating on an airplane and cross into a different time zone?"

18 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Not a movie, but have you considered The Twilight Zone?  The original not any of the remade junk.  Still fantastic and creepy to this day.

The Twilight Zone didn't need to be gory or have shock scares. It was scary because it actually made you think. That might be a bit much for an 8 year old, but it could be worth a try.

2 hours ago, Gary Hobbesworth said:

Was this actually based on something Twain wrote?

Supposedly, yes.  Well, that short which was in the movie was.  The whole film is an odd exploration of the works of Twain and is kind of an exploration of his psyche.  I remember seeing it as a young kid.  I only saw it once and I remember thinking it was just weird.  It was also made by the same guy who made all of the claymation holiday specials and the California Raisins. 

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, RH said:

I've been meaning to watch that on Disney+.  My wife said she was freaked out by it as a kid. I didn't even hear about it until I was much older, and I haven't seen it either.  Is it any good?

I fuckin love Return to Oz.

• Like 1