IGNORED

Recommend: Scary/Horror Movies for 8 y/o

Aguy

My wife has been on a scary movie kick lately, so we've been watching all The Conjuring franchise. My son (8 y/o) wants to watch them, but we think they are too scary. So we started slow with Hocus Pocus, which he found not scary. Then we watched Jurassic Park, and he only covered his eyes when the lawyer got eaten. So next step we think is Gremlins. Any one have some other age appropriate scary/horror movies?

Editorials Team · Posted

Troll scared me pretty good when I was about 8

I'd say Army of Darkness is a possibility.  I watched it when it came out so I would have been about 7, and didn't have any nightmares.  Ghostbusters is another good one.

Those would definitely be too scary for some kids, but if you're thinking Gremlins I'd say they're in the ballpark.

Of course we only had VHS back then, so it was a little blurrier and hard to make out, which probably blunted the impact.

I truly have no idea what an 8 year old can handle. Perhaps Poltergeist? I might be saying that because the clown traumatized me as a kid and I want to pass that on to someone else.

Maybe old monster movies like Godzilla? The Cable Guy is probably too crude, but eventually might be a good PG-13 horror (or maybe thriller) choice. It's a dark movie that some age of kids probably likes in any case.

Edited by DefaultGen

Oh I most definetly did NOT like scary stuff as a kid!  I often got nightmares.  One of the most notable examples is how I'd see the scary blood red boxart of Child's Play with the killer doll on it and honestly, you couldn't pay me $100 to watch that at the time!  BUT...once I did later get around to seeing it (my college days when it happened to be on a rerun or something) it's definitely one of things where the boxart is scarier than the movie itself. 😛

I use to love that stuff as a kid. I think Invaders from Mars (1986) struck a perfect balance for me. The real "scare" is at the end though, which I won't spoil. I mean, it's nothing earth shattering for an adult but as a kid it was good stuff.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RH said:

I use to love that stuff as a kid. I think Invaders from Mars +1986) struck a perfect balance for me. The real "scare" is at the end though, which I won't spoil. I mean, it's nothing earth shattering for an adult but as a kid it was good stuff.

If you haven't seen it the original version is very good - I know I liked it when I was young.

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I truly have no idea what an 8 year old can handle. Perhaps Poltergeist? I might be saying that because the clown traumatized me as a kid and I want to pass that on to someone else.

Maybe old monster movies like Godzilla? The Cable Guy is probably too crude, but eventually might be a good PG-13 horror (or maybe thriller) choice. It's a dark movie that some age of kids probably likes in any case.

I recall having watched Poltergeist as a kid, maybe grade 1 or 2. I enjoyed them. I also enjoyed Friday the 13th movies quite young though so maybe I'm just fucked up lol.

Secret of Nimh might be a good one, there are some scary bits for kids.

• Like 1

The Gate
This was a fav of mine around that age.  "Kids, left home alone, accidentally unleashes a horde of malevolent, pint-sized demons from a mysterious hole in their suburban backyard."  Great creature effects and some intense scenes, but not really gory or anything a kid that age couldn't handle.  Full movie is free on youtube.  Enjoy!

Edited by fox
  • Like 2

Only one I can think of off the top of my mind that hasn't been mentioned yet is "The Dark Crystal", but beware; it's a disturbing allegory about adults feeding on the fear of children, so if you go with it, be sure to apologize to your kid for me..    .. hadda reject a couple dozen "definitely not appropriate for an 8-year-olds", before I finally came up with this one.

Remember watching freddy and pin head at when i was 8 . Thought it was the coolest shit in the world . And been stuck on horror ever since . Maybe time bandits or flash gordon , but thats not horror . Maybe swamp thing . . . That was a cool movie , imo 

Edited by Jfreakofkorn

12 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

Gremlins scared the crap out of me in first grade 😄 That's what horror movies are for right? I'd suggest Ghostbusters. Not too scary but still pulls off the ghoul theme well. 

Yeah about Gremlins, you know how one of their rules is not to feed them after midnight?  They never bother saying when in the morning it's safe to feed them again.