IGNORED

Music Debate #67: Mariah Carey

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

30 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

My 90s crush. When everyone was gaga for Britney Spears in the schoolgirl outfit, I was telling them they were all morons. Mariah in the bubble bath was where its at. Curves>ultra thin. Still use the Mariah vs Britney example today. 

Edited by NESfiend

I’m not a big fan of pop music in general but I’ve definitely got mad respect for the vocally talented women in the biz like Mariah. The same applies to current singers like Gaga, Ariana Grande, and even Carrie Underwood in the country arena.

And in that same vein, Mariah absolutely shreds Britney from a talent standpoint. Looks will always be more subjective, but I’m betting Mariah has aged better as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

My 90s crush. When everyone was gaga for Britney Spears in the schoolgirl outfit, I was telling them they were all morons. Mariah in the bubble bath was where its at. Curves>ultra thin. Still use the Mariah vs Britney example today. 

you were comparing a grown ass woman to a teenage girl though. Mariah carey was almost 30 by that point.  

I cant really vote on this one. She is very talented, but Im not going to listen to any of it.

Edited by Quest4Nes

Events Helper · Posted

@Reed Rothchild better version imo.....

Not gonna lie, guilty pleasure of mine 🙂  

Spoiler

Also 

Spoiler

🍆

Edit:  The poor man's MTV played this video a lot, we would tape, yes i said tape, our favorite videos.  The box i wanna say was the name of the channel, can't remember for sure.

Edited by Jeevan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sumez said:

I have absolutely no clue about this one's music. Isn't she just one of those singers who gets keeps getting new songs by ghostwriters and somehow makes a career out of that?

Yeah. She's a singer/performer not a songwriter, much like Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra. I wouldn't hold that against her.

• Like 1

I gave her a 7.  Good vocals but one of the most diva-of-divas in the biz, and that sometimes comes out at her performances.  If she legit seemed humble, or at least humble enough to consistently do her job at Christmas/New Years, I'd probably give her another point or two.

I know there's already a thread about "Can you separate the art from the artist" and usually I can, but Mariah is a good example of sometime her personality is just to much, and it comes out when she performs live (or is scheduled to show up and actually perform live.)

12 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah. She's a singer/performer not a songwriter, much like Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra. I wouldn't hold that against her.

I wouldn't hold it against her. But I would stick to judging her as such, and in the context of music as an art form, just "being good at singing" can be incredibly boring to me.
There are musicians out there that I really enjoy in part due to their unique vocals style (Bowie, David Byrne, etc), but I can't see myself as a fan of someone purely due to their singing, and I also feel like it would be unfair to give her a rating based on the terrible music in these videos if she didn't actually write that music.

Edited by Sumez

On 6/11/2020 at 12:04 AM, Quest4Nes said:

you were comparing a grown ass woman to a teenage girl though. Mariah carey was almost 30 by that point. 

A fair point, but no one saw it that way then. It was purely a big boobs vs tight butt debate. 

Edited by NESfiend