IGNORED

has any one notice the prices for some video game stuff shot up after the corona virus started?

I was just noticing today that the price of sealed booster packs of Pokemon Cards have skyrocketed since Corona. Last August at Boston Fan Expo I bought a sealed Scyther Jungle Pack from 1999 for $30, which was just a bit cheaper than what you could find on eBay at the time. Now, you simply can't get one for under $100 on eBay. The original booster packs from early '99 are now going for over $200 just for a weighed light

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Hammerfestus said:

Things are definitely boosted.  not sure how the covid plays into it other than those checks that went out.

Checks that went out, plus a lot of people bored at home. I imagine the latter has actually done more to fan the flames. 

37 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Checks that went out, plus a lot of people bored at home. I imagine the latter has actually done more to fan the flames. 

Plus part of the stimulus package was an increased unemployment benefit (an extra $600 a week if I understand it correctly) - so many people may actually have more money in their pocket along with more time on their hands than before the corona stuff.  

• Haha 1

So my niece and her fiance are both 24. She's unemployed,collecting unemployment with the added $600 and currently working under the table. She told her mom she's "doesn't know what to do with all the money". Her fiance recently bought a switch for $430 and inflated prices on N64 stuff.

Bottom line, the amount of people under 30 with no kids and more money than they've ever had before is currently at an all time high. 

Yeah it's weird - lots of stuff getting inflated, while at the same time, I see people selling games at market value loss.  Maybe desperation selling?  I dunno, but I've personally made some crazy ass purchases lately due to really great deals.

30 minutes ago, Soma said:

Yeah it's weird - lots of stuff getting inflated, while at the same time, I see people selling games at market value loss.  Maybe desperation selling?  I dunno, but I've personally made some crazy ass purchases lately due to really great deals.

dang man so its going both ways?  interesting.  what kinda crazy arse purchase did you make?

49 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

It’s like the rarer stuff shot up in value and the common stuff is staying mostly the same. 

I would actually say that a lot that's well known or desirable in either the rare or common categories has gone up for some systems. I've seen some rarer lesser known stuff just sit, or go for very little in comparison to their rarity. On the flip side of that, I've also seen some common games sell for a bit more than they probably should have. 

Everything is up and when I and I've noticed others bring it up on other locations, people get mad, and not as much at the prices, but people calling it out probably since it angers the resellers loving this moment.

I've noticed a lot of stuff seems in a range of 25 to 100% higher in paid values looking at ebay from a specific month to the ones before it.  It's a trifecta of bad things that caused it.  Virus locked people in so they got bored and could only buy online.  Then you get the free gov't money either the stimulus (1200/per person +500/kid) or the unemployment bribe of $600+usual rate making many stay home getting paid more on their ass through July.  And then also it's tax refund season so that on top of it too.  3 very easily abused sources of found/given money combined with being shut in.  A perfect storm of greed and avarice on all fronts well beyond games.

It sucks, there are actually a couple common N64 games I'd like as an example, and between the first quarter and now, well it's disgusting.  Same can be said with a moderately valued DS title that got stupid too. I won't pay the increase so until I get lucky or it cools off I can do just fine without.

On 6/7/2020 at 12:32 AM, Nes Freak said:

dang man so its going both ways?  interesting.  what kinda crazy arse purchase did you make?

I know I threw that out there with little context.  I'm not one to really share my finds, but I was referring to a few recent purchases - mainly Saturn stuff, and not at the most incredible price, but under market:  D missing manual for $16, Magic Knight Rayearth CIB for $250, Panzer Dragoon Saga PAL CIB for $400, various NES carts bought locally under market value... Not the best of deals, but surprised to find a few.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:29 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

So my niece and her fiance are both 24. She's unemployed,collecting unemployment with the added $600 and currently working under the table. She told her mom she's "doesn't know what to do with all the money". Her fiance recently bought a switch for $430 and inflated prices on N64 stuff.

Bottom line, the amount of people under 30 with no kids and more money than they've ever had before is currently at an all time high. 

can you imagine if she started to sell on the side?! 

working under the table. collecting unemployment and selling. thats the american dream right there. 

i did it for a while back in my 20's should have been smart but blew it all on whiskey weed and ass. 

respect your niece could really set herself up nice. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

so the poor and unemployed collecting unemployment are spending what "more money than i ever had" on pleasure items. 

the poor employed are banking and selling. 

the rich are still doing whatever the fuck they want. paying as much or as little as the feel. 

Sounds about right.  And if someone wanted to push you on it, bring up the classic case of a majority of larger size winnings lottery winners.  I'm talking those who creep into the 6-7+ figures range who never had anything like it before.  Stupid sets in, think it'll never run out, and you  just get anything that appeals to you now or before you couldn't have, so you feel the reason to right that wrong whatever the cost.  Then the money runs out, then the collectors appear, then your shit goes up for auction at the home and/or on ebay for a fraction of the price and you're broke again.  It's a wave of stupid decisions being made now, and best to either find a rare more reasonable type, cheat (for games use a kit, emulator+roms), or wait until it happens.

There’s nothing else to do then shop online, with stimulus check and some people making close to $1000 a week from unemployment people are getting stuff the will not usually get. 

Just wait till everything gets back to normal and all these people will be selling stuff back.  I’m seeing this already locally and at my local game store I frequent weekly, people who started to buy stuff at the begging are selling it back.

Edited by Psychobear85
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Man, I redownloaded the puregaming collector apps for the first time in awhile.  I'm going through them all, filling in my collections and wishlist, and yeah... Prices are ludicrous for PS1-to-today games across the board.  Guess unemployed people have to spend all of that extra cash on bad decisions.