IGNORED

Super Mario World vs Super Mario Bros 3

LaytToTheParty

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

^ Ironically, that is why I find it easier to play something like Breath of the Wild rather than my NES.  I can hop into my Switch for 15 minutes while the kids play out back, getting back into the game without skipping a beat

This is really surprising to me and its had me thinking a lot today. Mostly because you are active in completion threads and things like that. Everyone I know who plays breath of the wild plays it pretty much exclusively. Thats what turns me off games with save states at this point in life. Modern stuff seems like a part time job. Id like to hear more about how you manage that and find time for other games with a grown up life, but I know this thread isn't the place. Feel free to pm me

25 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This is really surprising to me and its had me thinking a lot today. Mostly because you are active in completion threads and things like that. Everyone I know who plays breath of the wild plays it pretty much exclusively. Thats what turns me off games with save states at this point in life. Modern stuff seems like a part time job. Id like to hear more about how you manage that and find time for other games with a grown up life, but I know this thread isn't the place. Feel free to pm me

I'll throw my hat in the ring as a supporter for short sessions of BotW. Since the game is designed around open exploration and short challenge shrines, it is very easy to pick up and play. Pick one area to explore and then call it a day.

• Like 2

One factor that I think really brought World down was slowdown. Super Mario Bros 3 was pushing the hardware, looked amazing, and had little to no slow down. World on the other hand, is on more powerful hardware and it has constant slowdown. When you get a starman, when there are too many projectiles on screen, and, worst of all, when there are more than like 3 Chargin' Chucks. There's one level in particular where there's like 6 or 7 Chargin Chucks and the frame rate drops below 20.

6 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

and, worst of all, when there are more than like 3 Chargin' Chucks. There's one level in particular where there's like 6 or 7 Chargin Chucks and the frame rate drops below 20.

I doubt the design intent was for you to end up with that many Chargin' Chucks on screen at once, though, versus killing them along the way.

Editorials Team · Posted
21 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Hah!  That is a great question...

Short answer, stay up late, have incredibly flexible work hours, have a wife who falls asleep at 10-11 every night, and I haven't actually completed BotW yet, or explored the whole map, or done a lot of the stuff.  Even though I started it 2 years ago.  Mostly because of the adult life.  But I squeeze in little play sessions where I can.

And avoid pointless/endless timesinks like twitch/most multiplayer/Minecraft/mmorpgs/battle royales/dischord/etc

Oh, also, give up your football season tickets, stop aggressively working out and lifting weights, stop with all adult sports leagues, and lose 90% of your social life because none of your group of friends had kids.  Leaving lots of nights where you are free to beat old carts. 

Though I do plan on crashing their beer "festival" on Saturday with all 3 boys in tow 🤣

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 7:22 AM, LaytToTheParty said:

Yeah, I love that damn carrot. More people need to play SML2. SML2>SMB2 any day for me.

Ah, but I think SML1 is better than SML2. The controls in SML1 are a bit janky, but I grew to like them pretty well. Much better than SML2's floaty controls. The music in both are good, but I like the music in SML1 more. Nothing can beat SML1's credit music.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted

World by far.  While I love SMB3, I really, really love SMW.  I love the save feature, love the fact that you can replay any level, and love all the secrets.  I can't play without doing every single exit ever.  That being said, both are very good and very well made.  I have beat them both, but I would play World over 3 any day of the week for a mario game.

Spoiler

ALTTP ftw

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Ah, but I think SML1 is better than SML2. The controls in SML1 are a bit janky, but I grew to like them pretty well. Much better than SML2's floaty controls. The music in both are good, but I like the music in SML1 more. Nothing can beat SML1's credit music.

Generally, I'd say more people prefer SML, but I have to agree with you on the part about controls. SML1's controls feel way more tight and responsive to me, and SML2's controls are extremely floaty. It's like SMB1 vs SMB3 imo. More people like SMB3 because it's bigger and looks nicer, but it also has floatier controls than the first game. SML2 is bigger, has more stages (32 vs 12), looks nicer, has more powerups, more secrets, more enemies, ect. It just comes down to personal preference and whether you prefer the simplicity of SML1.

38 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Generally, I'd say more people prefer SML, but I have to agree with you on the part about controls. SML1's controls feel way more tight and responsive to me, and SML2's controls are extremely floaty. It's like SMB1 vs SMB3 imo. More people like SMB3 because it's bigger and looks nicer, but it also has floatier controls than the first game. SML2 is bigger, has more stages (32 vs 12), looks nicer, has more powerups, more secrets, more enemies, ect. It just comes down to personal preference and whether you prefer the simplicity of SML1.

SML1 engaged in some of the more creative screen-size optimization seen on the Gameboy.

SML2 falls victim to the trend of screens ending up cramped due to the "standard sized" sprites.

Honestly would have loved to have seen more GB platformers try and squeeze more screen real estate out of their games in the way that SML1 managed to do.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Based on your views on SMW, I figured part of your preference for SML2 was due to our being a longer, more complex game. Personally, game length has never been that important to me (except when a game overstays its welcome), so I enjoy the story experience with SML1 (although you can at least turn the 12 levels into 24 with hard mode). The extra complexity in SML2 is nice but doesn't add as much as is detracted by the worse controls. To me the most important aspect of any platformer is the controls. If I don't like them, I'm not going to like the game. 

On 6/1/2020 at 2:40 PM, Link said:

It’s true. This fight will never end, lol

Here is what I said in a prior thread:

It’s SMB3, and no, it doesn’t need a battery.

It might make playing the game more compatible with today’s lifestyle, but it would fundamentally change the way it works, and for the worse, IMO. If you can pick it up from the middle any time, not starting out in Grass Land and making your way on, you don’t thoroughly learn the levels as you go on. I liken this game to an album that you listen to over and over again. It grabs you at first but you can’t really know an album without the repetition. You won’t appreciate the banjo or piano riff hidden in the background of a rock song much the first time. If you’re done the first time you pass it, you’ll never catch it. If you cross each world of Mario 3 only once, you’ll never get a white mushroom house, figure out the card games, or tips like jumping through the tornado in 2-2 with a koopa shell and then turn around to kill the sun like a boss. Maybe if levels didn’t lock when you finish them, I can hear you call out. You could play them over and over again and work on that. No, says I. Triggering a white house requires perfection. If you can try over and over with no consequence (such as lost prior progress) then it loses the point. And you could forever return to levels like 1-2 to racks up dozens of extra lives whenever you want. It would utterly upend the balance. SMB3 teases and pushes you, forcing you to move on. You can’t go back, and you can’t stop. It is made for epic all-night runs. It is made for obsession. I appreciate it because of the balance and restriction the way I’ve never appreciated other, later 2D platformers like SMW, NSMB, DKCR, or Rayman Origins. You can one and done levels there, and they push you to replay by putting in dragon coins or collectible letters, but that’s a cheap gimmick. They’re all fine games, but not ones that I want to play through a dozen more times in my life. 

The save mechanism of SMW makes it easier to beat the whole game, but ruins replayability and the whole concept of favorite stages. 

VERY well said, my friend! 👏

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2020 at 4:42 PM, BouncekDeLemos said:

I love the final boss battle in World more though. 

Playing through smb3 as an adult, that final koopa fight is the only thing I feel disappointed with. Its too quick and easy. I dont know if its just because Ive beat it so many times or it was always too easy. I remember struggling with it as a kid, but I was really young. It was smart that they structured it so that a p-wing wouldn't help you. But it should be 3 times as long and harder. Multiple phases/variances would have gone a long way and they got that right with SMW

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 10:37 PM, Quest4Nes said:

wrong 🙂

I like the mechanics of both. They each add their own unique flavor IMHO. As a kid it can be tricky flying with the cape, but once you get it, it's a blast.

Also, I just played through SMB3 on Sunday, in one sitting, on an original NES and CRT set up, because of this thread 😎.

On 6/8/2020 at 12:17 AM, ThePhleo said:

Everyone has their right to an opinion...even it's wrong.

We all know that Super Mario World is far superior to Super Mario Bros. 3.

Just look at that annoying flashing white line on the HUD in Mario 3. Ekk.

Play and enjoy both, because it's the people that insist it's one OR the other are the real losers. The gameplay in both is beyond tight for their respective time periods; SMB3 is one of the best overall NES games of all time. Most people will want to pop in SMW when you break out the SNES, as well.

1 hour ago, Nostalgic Machine said:

I like the mechanics of both. They each add their own unique flavor IMHO. As a kid it can be tricky flying with the cape, but once you get it, it's a blast.

Also, I just played through SMB3 on Sunday, in one sitting, on an original NES and CRT set up, because of this thread 😎.

Play and enjoy both, because it's the people that insist it's one OR the other are the real losers. The gameplay in both is beyond tight for their respective time periods; SMB3 is one of the best overall NES games of all time. Most people will want to pop in SMW when you break out the SNES, as well.

I’m only kidding. Mario 3 is easily the best overall NES game. The only real flaw is the horizontal garbage on the extreme ends of the screen, and that white line thing I told you about.

Other than that, it’s the ultimate NES game.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:26 AM, ThePhleo said:

I’m only kidding. Mario 3 is easily the best overall NES game. The only real flaw is the horizontal garbage on the extreme ends of the screen, and that white line thing I told you about.

Other than that, it’s the ultimate NES game.

Oh I know, my friend! Simply playing along and fanning the friendly flames, lol. People have great reasoning here on both sides, which is rare for discussion nowadays in general IMHO. It's obvious we all genuinely enjoy classic gaming and have passion for it! 😎

Great point about the horizontal lines. I totally zone those out; I don't even notice them anymore, lol. Ultimate NES game is NOT hyperbole; the only thing to top it is the original Legend of Zelda.

I am going to apparently go out on a limb and say SMW is better than SMB3.

Why? You can replay the levels whenever you want in a saved game. Unlike SMB3 where if you wanted to, say, play world 5, you can't just automatically get to it. Unless you have the GBA version, but that one has the same graphics as the All-Stars version. That, and SMW has a ton of interesting levels and secret stuff. Sure, SMB3 has warp whistles, but SMW actually has a couple of hidden worlds. And you can save an item for use whenever you want. And Yoshi. etc. etc.

• Like 2

Smb3 is better than smw. As others have said, the controls like flight of smb3 were better. I like the worlds in smb3 a lot better, and sometimes being more simplistic is better. When you have too much going on, it can ruin a game. I feel like that's what they've done with Pokemon lately for example. Not to say smw had too much going on though.

• Like 1