IGNORED

Super Mario World vs Super Mario Bros 3

LaytToTheParty

9 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

derailing a bit, but I'm also a fan of the F13 game. Wouldn't put it up as high as you, though. BUT, I do consider A Nightmare On Elm Street to be top tier. THAT is one of my absolute favorite NES games of all time. Both of those games are totally misunderstood.

Wait until you see the insane run of F13 I captured that I'm about to make a thread on.

13 hours ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Why is that? Is it all nostalgia? Don't get me wrong, SMB3 is phenomenal, but it just seems to me like World improved upon the Mario formula in every way. It's like Zelda 1 vs Link to the Past, Metroid vs Super Metroid, ect

I'd say the opposite, probably.
For a long time, basically ever since Super Mario World came out, I've been used to the similar conclusion - that I liked SMW more for all the reasons you mention. It just has "more stuff".

I've only realised many years later, in more "recent times", that SMB3 is honestly the better game of the two. Not that it matters much, because both are great games. But SMB3 is just more lean and tight, just pure quality and creativity for every single second it goes on. And it's not like it's a more sparse game, as such. Hell, the game even has a few more stages than SMW does (90 vs 72), even if SMW makes up for that with its secret exits.

I think comparing Zelda 3 over Zelda 1 to Super Metroid over Metroid makes a lot of sense, but I can't possibly apply the same logic between SMB3 and SMW. Rather the two games are so incredibly similar it's really only a handful of tiny factors that set them apart.

As a final minor note, I also find the neat graphical look of SMB3 more appealing than the over-shaded SMW artwork.

Edited by Sumez

One more thing. Does anyone enjoy Yoshi's Island more than SMW? People are complaining about SMW being too slow, but Yoshi's Island makes SMW look like a speedrun. It's just so start-stoppy imo. Eat enemy, swallow, get egg, line egg up, throw egg, collect the little star dudes, repeat. And I think everyone hates Baby Mario in that game.

2 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

One more thing. Does anyone enjoy Yoshi's Island more than SMW? People are complaining about SMW being too slow, but Yoshi's Island makes SMW look like a speedrun. It's just so start-stoppy imo. Eat enemy, swallow, get egg, line egg up, throw egg, collect the little star dudes, repeat. And I think everyone hates Baby Mario in that game.

Yoshi's Island is a visual and auditory nightmare IMHO. It's like a bad trip. Plus crying babies. No thanks.

23 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

yeah... I think Yoshi's Island is an okay game. But it's nowhere near the level of SMW for me. And as a new-ish dad, the sound of baby Mario's cry increases cortisol levels in me.

Even as a kid myself, the baby screams were an incentive to play another game, not push through, lol.

5 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Ahh.. the beautiful world of EverDrives and improvement romhacks. 😄

Disable the baby crying in Yoshi's Island.
Patch in SRAM saving in SMB 3.

Not to mention the other improvements made to Super Mario World through improvement hacks.

SMB 3 has always been the ultimate snow day game for me. I guess I've programmed myself to enjoy the straight through aspect of it. I remember when the GBA port came out and had the save feature; that was convenient in that aspect. I never cared for the SMB All-Stars versions of the first few games either, and that has nothing to do with the addition of the save feature, and everything to do with the control switching up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blitus said:

You don't have to.  Just skip to where your progress last ended.

It's still really clunky to do it that way. A password would have done the exact same thing, but quicker and cleaner.

3 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

In my opinion, the game is worth playing through in one sitting.

I can't sit for that long, especially for one game.

Edited by Tulpa

3 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Super Mario World is the gold standard for video games. Master piece. 10/10 GGOAT. G²OAT. Super Mario w/ cape is the best power up ever to grace the gaming world.

I'd say the same thing, but some people seem to hate the cape. I personally prefer the carrot in Super Mario Land 2 to the leaf in SMB3.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Yeah, I love that damn carrot. More people need to play SML2. SML2>SMB2 any day for me.

I put the heart, but that's to the 2nd sentence, it's a stunning well made game.  Not sure I agree about being better than SMB2, but it has so much unique variety it only had it's hard to argue either.  Crying shame they lied about SML3, it's Wario Land.  I wanted a real sequel. 😞

19 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I put the heart, but that's to the 2nd sentence, it's a stunning well made game.  Not sure I agree about being better than SMB2, but it has so much unique variety it only had it's hard to argue either.  Crying shame they lied about SML3, it's Wario Land.  I wanted a real sequel. 😞

Yeah. Final boss was wicked, there were moon stages, Halloween stages, and even stages inside of a giant robot Mario that was being controlled by pigs. Such a unique game. I'm more of a fan of fast-paced gameplay, and SMB2 is crazy slow. But many people like that slow-paced, chill gameplay which I can totally understand. It just ain't my thing.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 9:27 AM, Sumez said:

As a final minor note, I also find the neat graphical look of SMB3 more appealing than the over-shaded SMW artwork.

I wish All-Stars had allowed you to swap between the old and new style. That + Saving would make the All-Stars version a closer decision between the two games.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:41 PM, Tanooki said:

I swear this is like that one hot button classic Nintendo issue that'll never die.  SMB3 vs SMB4(World.)

It’s true. This fight will never end, lol

On 5/29/2020 at 7:27 AM, Nostalgic Machine said:

I won't lie, this is like, the only time I've seen an even remotely positive consensus on lack of a save feature being a positive in this game.

Usually everyone claims it's the reason the game isn't perfect.

Here is what I said in a prior thread:

It’s SMB3, and no, it doesn’t need a battery.

It might make playing the game more compatible with today’s lifestyle, but it would fundamentally change the way it works, and for the worse, IMO. If you can pick it up from the middle any time, not starting out in Grass Land and making your way on, you don’t thoroughly learn the levels as you go on. I liken this game to an album that you listen to over and over again. It grabs you at first but you can’t really know an album without the repetition. You won’t appreciate the banjo or piano riff hidden in the background of a rock song much the first time. If you’re done the first time you pass it, you’ll never catch it. If you cross each world of Mario 3 only once, you’ll never get a white mushroom house, figure out the card games, or tips like jumping through the tornado in 2-2 with a koopa shell and then turn around to kill the sun like a boss. Maybe if levels didn’t lock when you finish them, I can hear you call out. You could play them over and over again and work on that. No, says I. Triggering a white house requires perfection. If you can try over and over with no consequence (such as lost prior progress) then it loses the point. And you could forever return to levels like 1-2 to racks up dozens of extra lives whenever you want. It would utterly upend the balance. SMB3 teases and pushes you, forcing you to move on. You can’t go back, and you can’t stop. It is made for epic all-night runs. It is made for obsession. I appreciate it because of the balance and restriction the way I’ve never appreciated other, later 2D platformers like SMW, NSMB, DKCR, or Rayman Origins. You can one and done levels there, and they push you to replay by putting in dragon coins or collectible letters, but that’s a cheap gimmick. They’re all fine games, but not ones that I want to play through a dozen more times in my life. 

The save mechanism of SMW makes it easier to beat the whole game, but ruins replayability and the whole concept of favorite stages. 

• Like 3

On 5/29/2020 at 7:09 AM, Nostalgic Machine said:

Super Mario Bros. 3 all the way.

My reasoning is nuts, because I prefer NOT having a save feature. 

This isn't nuts at all. Its exactly why I play more NES than anything else. If anything smb3 is a little long for my taste, but its smb3, so it gets a pass in that respect. 

If i hit the lotto tomorrow, I'd probably quit my job and get started on breath of the wild. But with wife, kid, work, my video game time consists of a lot of short runs. I want to be able to complete games in under an hour. And I want to play a lot of different games rather than the same thing over and over again. 

Smb3 would be my vote even if you factored that out. Probably just nostalgia 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

^ Ironically, that is why I find it easier to play something like Breath of the Wild rather than my NES.  I can hop into my Switch for 15 minutes while the kids play out back, getting back into the game without skipping a beat

The quick boot and sleep mode make the switch really convenient.  It's taking more effort for me to set up a console and wire up controllers than it is worth lately.

• Like 1