IGNORED

Thoughts on Complete Sets

I've got all of the games I want and have been looking for for NES, SNES, Wii, GB, GBC, and GBA. Should I pursue complete sets? What are the pros and cons of complete sets? It seems to me that there are a ton of crappy shovelware titles on every system, especially on the NES and Wii, but I'd like to hear what y'all think.

4 minutes ago, B.A. said:

You should collect what you like, not what other people say is cool.

Yup, I already have. However, I'm kind of done collecting what I like, and I just enjoy collecting and the hunt in general. So now I'm down to 2 options: finding better condition copies of games I already have, or completing sets. Some systems just don't interest me, like the 32x, and Sega CD, since they seem to have 1 gem for every 30 shovelware titles.

On a side note, are the two SNES competition carts and that Exertainment combo cart considered part of the complete set?

17 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Some systems just don't interest me, like the 32x, and Sega CD, since they seem to have 1 gem for every 30 shovelware titles.

Since the Sega CD had such a small US library it likely has (IMHO) the highest ratio of gems/near gems/very good titles (and I realize a lot depends on what one's tastes are) of all the major consoles.  (And if you really want to go overboard Lunar the Silver Star has seven different artwork discs.)  

And a whole slew of those blue spined* oversized cases lined up on a shelf is mighty fine looking.

*Damn that miscreant Snatcher with the diagonal white stripes on the spine!

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2

@TabongaSure, the CD has some really good games, but for every Snatcher you have a bin of Jeopardys and Night Traps and just really, really cheesy FMV games. But, if you're into that kind of stuff, more power to ya. I think Knuckle's Chaotix was the only 32x game I've ever seen called good.

Edited by LaytToTheParty

Administrator · Posted
21 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Yup, I already have. However, I'm kind of done collecting what I like, and I just enjoy collecting and the hunt in general. So now I'm down to 2 options: finding better condition copies of games I already have, or completing sets. Some systems just don't interest me, like the 32x, and Sega CD, since they seem to have 1 gem for every 30 shovelware titles.

On a side note, are the two SNES competition carts and that Exertainment combo cart considered part of the complete set?

Those definitely aren't the only two options. 

For example, option 3 is a new type of hunt: find games you didn't know about that you might like. I guarantee there are games for systems you collect for that you simply didn't know about, but would enjoy. Take time, do research, try em, buy em. 

Complete sets are PURELY bragging rights. I'd certainly never go for one, waste of time, money, and space. 

More than some -but as I said IMHO.

Consider these:

Lunar Eternal Blue
Lunar Silver Star
Dark Wizard
Shining Force CD
Third World War
Popful Mail
Snatcher
Keio Flying Squadron
Night Trap (not perhaps a great game but very important in gaming history)
Secret of Monkey Island
Vay
Iron Helix
Sonic CD

To name many (but not all)  of the biggies - and we have a whole lot of second tier games also.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Those definitely aren't the only two options. 

For example, option 3 is a new type of hunt: find games you didn't know about that you might like. I guarantee there are games for systems you collect for that you simply didn't know about, but would enjoy. Take time, do research, try em, buy em. 

Complete sets are PURELY bragging rights. I'd certainly never go for one, waste of time, money, and space. 

Wow. I sound like an idiot. I've already exhausted every hidden gems, best games, and underrated titles list on the internet, but never thought to research and find games that no one know about, but I may like. Any suggestions for puzzle/adventure games? That's the genre I've gotten super into recently.

To whoever asked earlier, I've played through every game in my collection that I play on playing through (except for some Pokemon games, like Blue and Gold, since I've already played Silver, Red, Crystal, and Yellow) and the rest are just trade bait if I need it, like Keio Flying Squadron.

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Wow. I sound like an idiot. I've already exhausted every hidden gems, best games, and underrated titles list on the internet, but never thought to research and find games that no one know about, but I may like. Any suggestions for puzzle/adventure games? That's the genre I've gotten super into recently.

To whoever asked earlier, I've played through every game in my collection that I play on playing through (except for some Pokemon games, like Blue and Gold, since I've already played Silver, Red, Crystal, and Yellow) and the rest are just trade bait if I need it, like Keio Flying Squadron.

I'm not a puzzle guy so someone else would be better to ask there, but I can give at least a personal example. I'm in a similar situation to you where I have baaaasicarly everything I want already. 

But then I played Red Star on PS2. I had never heard of it and now it's actually one of my favorite action games on the system. It has coop that's really fun, and it's a fairly challenging game at times. You don't exactly see it on a lot of lists online. Samurai Western is another I'd not heard of much but picked up and enjoyed. 

7 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Without knowing what you have looked at on lists the boxxle games are pretty fun - only a few of them made it over here but you don't need to know a lick of Japanese to play the import ones.  Nectaris (PS1) is a military strategy game  (and a pretty unique one in a lot of ways) but a lot of the scenarios rely on a good bit of puzzle solving to muster an army big enough to win.  Equinox (SNES) is worth a look.  You probably saw it on gems lists but Landstalker (Genesis) is a good bit of fun if you haven't tried it.  (If you like SRPGs Dark Wizard (Sega CD) is a game not to be missed.)  

1 hour ago, LaytToTheParty said:

What are the pros and cons of complete sets?

Pros:

Sense of accomplishment in general

Allure of holding "the set"

Bragging rights (though if you're a dick about it, no one will give a shit)

Learning new things about your set

Ability to play any game on the original cartridge/disk

Cons:

Cost

Storage space

A ton of games you may never play/only play once

Changing priorities (one day you may look at your collection and go "My god, what the hell have I done?")

If you decide to sell later and prices drop, you might have to eat the costs

Friends and neighbors may hold an intervention (depends on your social circle)

"Friends and neighbors may hold an intervention (depends on your social circle)"

In such a situation I suggest a good old fashioned potlatch - it is the only way to be sure you have rooted out the problem.  Plus who doesn't enjoy a good bonfire to roast weenies and marshmallows?

Edited by Tabonga

38 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Without knowing what you have looked at on lists the boxxle games are pretty fun - only a few of them made it over here but you don't need to know a lick of Japanese to play the import ones.  Nectaris (PS1) is a military strategy game  (and a pretty unique one in a lot of ways) but a lot of the scenarios rely on a good bit of puzzle solving to muster an army big enough to win.  Equinox (SNES) is worth a look.  You probably saw it on gems lists but Landstalker (Genesis) is a good bit of fun if you haven't tried it.  (If you like SRPGs Dark Wizard (Sega CD) is a game not to be missed.)  

We should have some kind of hidden gems thread or just build a database with complete lists of games, giving each game its own entry, and just trust the community to provide descriptions and reviews of games they've played. Somewhat of a Wikipedia-like thing. We'd have to make it so certain users can be restricted from posting on the database for intentionally inaccurate information or troll reviews.

Edit: I posted on suggestions, since a database seems to be something that's been thrown around a lot. I know one already exists, but all it contains is homebrew games and game stores, so it's pretty barren.

Edited by LaytToTheParty

56 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

I’ve been on a puzzle kick lately. Puyo games (Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine/Kirby’s Avalanche in the west before the series got localized) are really fun if you like chaining combos. Boxxle, as already mentioned above, is a lot of fun. Quarth on the original Game Boy is so good.

I have a suggestion that you may immediately dismiss but hear me out. Atari games. I know they’re primitive looking by today’s standards, but I’ve found a lot of joy in them for a multitude of reasons:

1. They’ve got the same feel as a good “to kill time” mobile game does these days. It resonates with me as a certified Damned Millennial. And I don’t have to feel bad about buying a shitton because I can play multiple of them in one sitting.

2. They’re cheap and plentiful, perfect for the hunt. But there’s also still rare and expensive oddities. As far as rare oddities, I found a boxed game from an overnight developer in the 80s who worked in some crap office in North Carolina and sold some games. It was the Wild West, so you can find things like that that so few people have.

3. Which brings me to another point, the history of owning them. Some people collect video games because they enjoy the history of the stuff they’re holding. I’m one of them. I love having these dusty old cartridges that were the beginning from which our hobby sprung. I love the old, archaic looking hardware/home computers, etc.

• Like 1

How big do you want your internet gaming dick to be? 

Real big? Go for complete sets. Regular big? Get exclusively dank games everyone knows and loves. Medium? Buy the games you like and keep the ones you want to play again. Small? Emulate on PC and talk about how collecting is a waste of time and space.

Either way, most people will buy games and then sell them a few years later and never look back. That's the reality of the world. Collectors come and go and so do collections. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

For sega cd just go for the Mega SD.

The original cd systems were not quality machines. And some of segas games on CD/Saturn from what I understand are not lasting the test of time as cd manufacturing was not done right back then. 

With these considerations, the smallness of the library, and the high prices all around, I could never collect sega cd.

Edited by phart010

7 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Real big? Go for complete sets. Regular big? Get exclusively dank games everyone knows and loves. Medium? Buy the games you like and keep the ones you want to play again. Small? Emulate on PC and talk about how collecting is a waste of time and space.

Either way, most people will buy games and then sell them a few years later and never look back. That's the reality of the world. Collectors come and go and so do collections. 

It doesn't have to be a dick enlarger neccessarily i mean bigger quantity is a big part in all types of collecting. But yeah video games are different in a way because it's also connectivity to entertainment rather than just an object. I'm sure most people wouldn't buy a full set for a platform where 99% games where shit regardless of the boxes looking fantastic while if you collect cans or stamps you can just keep bulking up infinitely.

20 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Small? Emulate on PC and talk about how collecting is a waste of time and space.

I was looking at some reviews and tear down videos of FPGA consoles. The comment section:

”Who would ever buy this? Just emulate and you won’t have to deal with dusty moldy cartridges.”

Thanks for the input, you can find my eternal gratitude on the corner of “No One” and “Asked” streets.