Help me pick a game  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which?

• Final Fantasy 7
    • Final Fantasy Tactics
    • Jade Cocoon
    • Suikoden
    • Vagrant Story

I picked Final Fantasy 7, just because it's the only game in your poll that I've even played. 🙂

Ever play any shoot em ups on PS1?  I've been trying some for the first time and have been pleasantly surprised. Currently playing The Raiden Project (has 1&2).  R-Type Delta and Einhander are also really good 

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, rdrunner said:

I picked Final Fantasy 7, just because it's the only game in your poll that I've even played. 🙂

Ever play any shoot em ups on PS1?  I've been trying some for the first time and have been pleasantly surprised. Currently playing The Raiden Project (has 1&2).  R-Type Delta and Einhander are also really good 

Yeah I've played a few. I have Einhander and it's great, as well as a Japanese ps2 with a number of shmups for it. Love em! 

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I voted for Suikoden.  Excellent RPG.  Great story, great characters, excellent battle system.  The sequel, Suikoden II, is in my opinion the best RPG on the system and probably in the running for best RPG period.

Yeah I have both 1 and 2 but have never played em, and I've heard about 2 being amazing. I'd wanna play 1 before 2 though so that's why that's on there. 

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Have you done FF9 yet?  Even though FF7 gets all the attention, FF9 is my personal favorite of the PS1 trilogy.

I've played every Final Fantasy quite thoroughly multiple times! If I were to play a PS1 FF game right now I'd be most in the mood for 7 is all. 

53 minutes ago, LostLevel83 said:

Have you played the Alundra games? That is my recommendation.

I've not. Are they expensive? I'd have to pick em up to play em. 

Homebrew Team · Posted

FF Tactics is the shit!  After the first play I wish you could skip text, because that begining tutorial is brutal.  I think romhacking has a hack so you can hold a button to skip or speed up dialogue.

Word to the wise, use multiple saves.  Sometimes you can save between battles.  If you are under leveled for next battle, you can lock yourself into an impossible situation.  Not talking from exprience.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

7 hours ago, rdrunner said:

6 hours ago, Estil said:

5 hours ago, LostLevel83 said:

I've not. Are they expensive? I'd have to pick em up to play

Dang. Prices are stupid right now. I didn’t realize.

Yes, I still recommend the Alundra games. Classic RPG goodness.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, LostLevel83 said:

Dang. Prices are stupid right now. I didn’t realize.

Yes, I still recommend the Alundra games. Classic RPG goodness.

Looked up some gameplay and it looks to be an ARPG, which isn't quite what I'm looking for at the moment. I'll keep em in mind for future though, thanks for the suggestion!

Administrator · Posted
21 minutes ago, Magus said:

You said you already played 7 before, so i would say suikoden. 

Yeah I tried to stay somewhat silent about what I have and haven't played before so I could get peoples' personal opinions rather than a deluge of "If you've never played FF7 before are you even a gamer?".

I've played FF7, Jade Cocoon, and FF Tactics before. BUT all of them so long ago that we're in the "have forgotten plot point specifics" territory where any of these would be an enjoyable playthrough.

Einhander would get my vote if it was an option. Classic 2D shooter with gorgeous graphics and excellent sounds. The weapon combo system is extremely deep, so the replayability is very high. It’s probably my favorite PS1 game of all time if I had to choose.

I wasn’t much an RPG fan back then (or now), so got really no clue which is the better game with regards to the poll options. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, GPX said:

Einhander would get my vote if it was an option. Classic 2D shooter with gorgeous graphics and excellent sounds. The weapon combo system is extremely deep, so the replayability is very high. It’s probably my favorite PS1 game of all time if I had to choose.

I wasn’t much an RPG fan back then (or now), so got really no clue which is the better game with regards to the poll options. 

I play shmups pretty regularly; I actually played Einhander through a few times last week! Right now I'm feeling a sit-down and relax to play a story kinda deal.

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I play shmups pretty regularly; I actually played Einhander through a few times last week! Right now I'm feeling a sit-down and relax to play a story kinda deal.

Abe’s Oddyssee, Heart of Darkness and Parasite Eve are games I’ve enjoyed, without committing to completion. I’m more a twitch gamer though, plus no time to play games with long periods of storytelling. 

Not an SRPG but a very good strategy game, Nectaris might be worth a look see for you.   No plot as such just battle after battle. Many of which are fairly challenging.  It has some unique mechanics that make it worth playing.  And because of the way it is set up it the only strategy game I can think of where you can go back* and replay  any  battle(s)** to try different strategies- or just replay the ones you liked the most.

*You have to finish the first 64 scenarios once to do that.

**You can do that with a lot of the Advance Wars 1 and 2 scenarios but not the campaign modes.

It used to be dirt cheap - especially considering that it has a total of 108 scenarios to play. Not sure what it is going for these days.

Brigandine is also a great SRPG - depending on your creativity you can get a lot of gameplay out of it - and you have 6 different countries you can play  as.

Echo Night is a change of pace that might appeal to you - while set on a phantom ship where you have to interact with ghosts in order to advance the story line, it is more a slow paced puzzler than a horror game.   The last few minutes turn in a timed chase game where you have to maneuver through the ship to escape.  Kind of jarring since they are two totally opposite modes of gameplay.

Edited by Tabonga