IGNORED

Movie Debate #17: The Mist

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but I'm interested
    • Never seen it, never will

7/10

I mostly enjoyed this movie, but I felt like the behavior of the characters was painfully unrealistic. From the religious zealotry inside the shop to the over-the-top ending, it was all a bit much. I get that these were ordinary people in an extraordinary situation, but I just didn't buy it. Believable characters are the bedrock of a good movie and they were few and far between in this one.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I mostly enjoyed this movie, but I felt like the behavior of the characters was painfully unrealistic. From the religious zealotry inside the shop to the over-the-top ending, it was all a bit much. 

I know exactly what you are talking about.  Like an antagonist from a Nicholas Sparks film, everything is over the top.  

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

7/10

I mostly enjoyed this movie, but I felt like the behavior of the characters was painfully unrealistic. From the religious zealotry inside the shop to the over-the-top ending, it was all a bit much. I get that these were ordinary people in an extraordinary situation, but I just didn't buy it. Believable characters are the bedrock of a good movie and they were few and far between in this one.

It's believable characters in unrealistic, and even implausible circumstances, that can make a great film.  I'm watching it now and I'm about 30 minutes into it.  This is like watching a really good ScyFy or USA Channel film, which is to say, not that great.

I'll bite on this conversation... my wife and I saw a Nicholas Sparks movie around 16 years ago.  The one with Ryan Gosling.  We were with a bunch of friends and it was right before we started dating.

Seriously... the romantic cheese was so bad she and I almost walked out together.  I had no clue who the guy was and considering her response, I knew I'd found a keeper.

Now one hour in... I'm going to have to stop soon, so I'll have to finish it later.  I like bad/cheesy movies and this is a good one in that way.  But what this film really needs is an episode of MST3k.

EDIT

I just saw the above comment and then looked it up to confirm that this was a Stephen King story.  That explains it.  I know he's well loved and has been extremely popular for going on 40 years? but his characters are never realistic.  At all. I mean, I've seen some entertaining films based off of his books, but the guy doesn't seem to have a good grasp on character-reality and what real people are like.

...yeah, the more it soaks in the more I get it.  This is 100% a Stephen King film.  I'm surprised I didn't catch that from as a soon as the mist appeared.

Edited by RH

Ok, final score-- 3.5 rounded down.  Bad character writing and maybe it's because I knew to expect a catch-ending, I kind of figured it out.  Well, about 60% of it.  Spoilers below.

Spoiler

I figured they would roll out and the mist would clear at a semi-tragic moment.  Honestly, I thought everyone was going to die but the boy would be left in the car before that would happen.  Having the son be mercy killed was admittedly far worse, but I somehow thought everyone would die but leave him stranded and really bringing to head an extreme intensity before giving a single ray of hope.  This ending was even worse than I expected, though.  Movies don't have to always have a happy ending but paired with the unrealistic characteristics, the final twist felt like it was just slapped on just to further disappoint the viewers.

Sorry if no one else is of the similar opinion.  It was definitely an interesting story and a decent distraction for a slow afternoon but, honestly, not my cup of tea.

Edited by RH

Good main actor and cool and varied monsters

But the whole annoying religious lady starting a cult in like a mater of hours and the over the top shocking twist ending really left a sour taste in my mouth

For post-apoctolyptic and/or monster movies you can find better

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 11:16 PM, fox said:

Good main actor and cool and varied monsters

But the whole annoying religious lady starting a cult in like a mater of hours and the over the top shocking twist ending really left a sour taste in my mouth

For post-apoctolyptic and/or monster movies you can find better

Don't underestimate the power of religious influence and group think when people feel they are in a survival/death scenario. Man was it satisfying when

Spoiler

Ollie smoked her crazy ass.

I thought the ending was a perfect example of a pyrrhic victory.

Spoiler

David lives and makes it out but has to live with the horror of just having unnecessarily killed his whole crew, including his kid, knowing that had he just waited another minute or 2 everything would be different.