Hey, OptOut! You're an idiot! ×
IGNORED

Graded Games, Show Them Off!

jonebone

13 minutes ago, inasuma said:

you're low key motivating me to submit my CIBs. i've told myself for years i wouldn't grade them because "what if i want to play them" but who am i kidding, that's why i got a flash cart lol

I've considered the same for my own copies from when I was a kid to preserve them but have reconsidered due to the what if I want to play them thought as well. 

15 hours ago, final fight cd said:

what is your consensus on CGC? what about compared to VGA and WATA in terms of case quality and grading? 

I like CGC and will continue to use them, the cases are well designed have a similar feel to their other cases they make for comics and cards. I'm not sure what the case is made out of as it is lighter than I expected so I don't believe its acrylic. The cases are a bit less bulky than WATA but not as tight as a VGA case. The CGC cases can stack as well if you have several of the same case, so you can slide them in bookcase and keep them together. There is an issue that CGC will need to correct that is little annoying on my first batch of games the QR code on the back takes you to the wrong URL. It's missing the last letter that is supposed to be in the URL so it fails to a 404 page when loading. 

In terms of grading I will need to do more grading to get a feel, I have 7 more games with them now. My perception from my first 2 submissions is their grading seems to be close to how WATA grades. The grades I received I agreed with didn't feel they were overgraded or undergraded. For my Pokemon Silver CIB if I look at the certification number on CGC they do grade the inserts of a CIB, in my case they received a 9.6 and 9.8 however these grades do not appear on the back of the label and I feel like they should be. 

My first 2 submissions took almost 2 months to be graded however I sent in 2 additional subs right before Christmas and those are already in grading so it now may be a good time to send in. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mlbfan10 said:

I like CGC and will continue to use them, the cases are well designed have a similar feel to their other cases they make for comics and cards. I'm not sure what the case is made out of as it is lighter than I expected so I don't believe its acrylic. The cases are a bit less bulky than WATA but not as tight as a VGA case. The CGC cases can stack as well if you have several of the same case, so you can slide them in bookcase and keep them together. There is an issue that CGC will need to correct that is little annoying on my first batch of games the QR code on the back takes you to the wrong URL. It's missing the last letter that is supposed to be in the URL so it fails to a 404 page when loading. 

In terms of grading I will need to do more grading to get a feel, I have 7 more games with them now. My perception from my first 2 submissions is their grading seems to be close to how WATA grades. The grades I received I agreed with didn't feel they were overgraded or undergraded. For my Pokemon Silver CIB if I look at the certification number on CGC they do grade the inserts of a CIB, in my case they received a 9.6 and 9.8 however these grades do not appear on the back of the label and I feel like they should be. 

My first 2 submissions took almost 2 months to be graded however I sent in 2 additional subs right before Christmas and those are already in grading so it now may be a good time to send in. 

The cases are polycarbonate IIRC, same as player1

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mlbfan10 said:

That's great! That would mean they will be very strong cases. WATA's new will also be polycarbonate so I'm looking forward to those.

It’ll be great to compare all the cases. It’s like a micro history lesson on grading haha

At this point I feel like there are enough pros and cons to each that, for me, it’s going to be about which preserves  the game better. Cgcs label, while distracting as all hell, could be overlooked considering how nicely the game presents and corners given ample space lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

is that the same as their comic holders? coz i got a cracked one of those 🤔

i dont think polycarb cracks super easily so probably not lol

actually now that i think about it maybe it isn't polycarb and i made that up. wata's new holder is definitely polycarb tho. 🤔

On 12/30/2022 at 11:29 AM, mlbfan10 said:

Actually, looks like I might have been wrong. For comics, CGC uses a plastic called SAN (Styrene-Acrylonitrile). Apparently just another form of acrylic. I have both a comic holder and now their game holder, and tbh they feel the same. Very tough material though, and fooled me into thinking it might be polycarb!

Source: https://thecollectorsresource.com/blog/getting-to-know-your-cgc-comic-book-cases/

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 4:37 PM, dogbowl said:

I got a few back from CGA today. First time submitting - not a fan of their process. Took about 5 months.

I think they look great though. Wish the label would note that they are sealed.

I can totally relate to that. 😑 But in their defense the lack of a "Qualified" (or Q) sub-grade is their way of saying the game is sealed. (And unopened for those pre-GameCube era Japanese Nintendo releases.) However, I still do not like their business model. Which is why I am holding off on all grading plans until we have a final verdict on how good the new Wata cases are. 🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

I can totally relate to that. 😑 But in their defense the lack of a "Qualified" (or Q) sub-grade is their way of saying the game is sealed. (And unopened for those pre-GameCube era Japanese Nintendo releases.) However, I still do not like their business model. Which is why I am holding off on all grading plans until we have a final verdict on how good the new Wata cases are. 🤔

FenrirZero, you are BACK!!!! Welcome back buddy!!! 😄

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, OptOut said:

FenrirZero, you are BACK!!!! Welcome back buddy!!! 😄

Thanks, but I'm not fully back. I'm still sorting out the last 20 (or so) years worth of internet-user related issues. Including those who helped make the reality I was a hardcore Dragon Quest fan with Asperger's a challenge. Which turned out to be not as bad because the rest who could have done it are worse. 😅

Then again... I also looked at every other video game forum that promoted graded games as a hobby. None of them had any members who would be willing to get drunk enough to fart in Jim Halperin's general direction. 😉

• Like 2

On 1/3/2023 at 6:37 PM, dogbowl said:

I got a few back from CGA today. First time submitting - not a fan of their process. Took about 5 months.

16727922775954857665465638165270.jpg

16727924135805211808206199140981.jpg

16727924749321003418696397225222.jpg

Is that the two piece box or flip top lid box? Looks insanely cool; congrats on your grades.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:37 PM, dogbowl said:

Easy way to tell from a distance with VGA:  

"Pink Link" avatar background =  Sealed

image.png.c8940351c26bc8edc2c58d20d7d4c186.png

"Blue Link" avatar background =  Qualified

image.png.1373e8db961c1583750bb3d9b8cf2cfc.png

I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general this seems to be the case.

• Like 1