IGNORED

Survivor: VGS Sign-Up Thread

KokiriChild

Hello, everyone, and WELCOME to the very first season of SURVIVOR on VGS! 

With the third game of Werewolf wrapping up, I am taking this opportunity to start taking sign-ups for the next forum game of strategy and deception... only this time, you won't be working with a team, but rather, you, yourself, and your (optional) alliance! Who will become the SOLE SURVIVOR and claim the GRAND PRIZE?

spacer.png

FAQs

How many players can play?  I am aiming for 18, though we can easily scale down to fewer players, or upwards to 20 or 22 if there is a lot of interest.

How do you play online Survivor?  All of the rules will be posted in the main game threads when the game begins - don't worry! The game will follow all of the traditional rules and layout of the game as seen on the popular TV show... complete with alliances, camp life, challenges, hidden immunity idols, and, of course, the dreaded Tribal Council!

Where on the forum will the game be played?  All majorly relevant threads will be posted in an all-new, yet-to-be-created game club for Survivor. You will need to join it in order to play.

Do I need to know about the Survivor TV show to play?  The short answer is no, but being familiar will definitely help you. If you have never seen the show, or it has been a very long time, and you want to try it out, two modern seasons that I always recommend to newcomers are Season 28 - Survivor: Cagayan, and Season 37 - Survivor: David v. Goliath

About the challenges... Yes, the challenges for Reward and Immunity will consist of a variety of video games (usually high scores), puzzles, riddles, and a whole secret surprise mixed bag o' fun! And yes, as long as save states/cheats are not used, emulators are allowed (we will pretty much be following the same rules as the "Can VGS Beat..." and Weekly Contest threads.)

I'm still burnt out from Werewolf!!  Yes, usually we give players a breather between games, but the reason I am posting this now as I need to get a general idea of the field of interest to finalize aspects of the game's design. The actual game will not start for another 2-3 weeks, though that time can be either shortened if people want to cut right to the action, or lengthened if they need more time before they'll be at 100% to play - this is an openly discuss-able topic!

Is there actually a prize for winning?  YES! It's not quite a million dollars (sorry fam!) but there will indeed be a video-game-related grand prize for the Sole Survivor! (*delivery time TBD due to ol' Uncle COVID*)

Sign-Ups

1.  Gloves

2.  ZeldaFreak

3.  B.A.

4.  0xDEAFC0DE

5.  OptOut

6.  Reed Rothchild

7.  doner24

8.  Mega Tank

9.  behemos

10.  Scrobins

11.  Splain

12.  RH

13.  G-Type

14.  Makar

15.  Krunch

16.  Jeevan

17.  Deadeye

18.  Darth Vader

Edited by KokiriChild

Events Team · Posted

Will there be another one of these once this initial one is over? If so, I think I'll do the same thing I did with Werewolf, in that I'll spectate this first game so I have a general understanding of how it works, and whether or not I'd be interested in participating, since I've never seen Survivor and don't have a damn clue how this works! 😛

Administrator · Posted
Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

Will there be another one of these once this initial one is over? If so, I think I'll do the same thing I did with Werewolf, in that I'll spectate this first game so I have a general understanding of how it works, and whether or not I'd be interested in participating, since I've never seen Survivor and don't have a damn clue how this works! 😛

I'd personally love to see more Survivor; I prefer it over Werewolf in fact. That said, it pops up significantly more rarely.

That said, it does take an equal or perhaps even greater amount of planning from the person running it, and we only ever actually did like, maybe 3 total runs of it on NA? 2 of which were before my time, I only personally ever got to play once on NA.

I'd suggest hopping in and having fun now while you can! If you can handle Werewolf and/or the weekly/monthly gaming contests, you're good to go.

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'd personally love to see more Survivor; I prefer it over Werewolf in fact. That said, it pops up significantly more rarely.

That said, it does take an equal or perhaps even greater amount of planning from the person running it, and we only ever actually did like, maybe 3 total runs of it on NA? 2 of which were before my time, I only personally ever got to play once on NA.

I'd suggest hopping in and having fun now while you can! If you can handle Werewolf and/or the weekly/monthly gaming contests, you're good to go.

Hm... y'know what, I trust your judgement Gloves, I'll take your word for it. I'm in. I was going to take a break from games like this due to the stress, but since it won't get started for a few weeks, that'll be just fine. 🙂

2 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Hm... y'know what, I trust your judgement Gloves, I'll take your word for it. I'm in. I was going to take a break from games like this due to the stress, but since it won't get started for a few weeks, that'll be just fine. 🙂

Happy to have you, I'm sure you'll do fine 🙂

Hooray! I'm in.

There were only two of these played on NA, and only one actually finished. So don't wait around for the next one! 

ETA: I won the NA contest and have never watched a minute of the TV show, so don't let that hold you back.

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I frankly don't think I'll do too well at the challenges, but I'm sure the rest of the game will still be fun for me.

I jumped right in on NA and had a blast, highly recommend trying it rather than just watching. 

im in

13 hours ago, Splain said:

Great Scott, werewolves is already a little too much for me. There's no way I can do something like this.

Eh, sounds like a problem for Future Splain. Count me in! 😃

I believe in you! 

Just 7 spots left until we hit a full roster.

@Jeevan I would love to see how you interacted with this game.

Events Helper · Posted

I was that bad you wanna see another shit show eh?  🤣.  I don't have the time necessarily to invest in this, honestly werewolf reaaaaaallly took it out of me this last time.  I will think about it, but not certain right now.  I really don't do well in manipulation games, surprised i made it that far in the last 🐺 game.  So for now count me out.  Not only that but i need to get back to 64 completion list.  

44 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I was that bad you wanna see another shit show eh?  🤣.  I don't have the time necessarily to invest in this, honestly werewolf reaaaaaallly took it out of me this last time.  I will think about it, but not certain right now.  I really don't do well in manipulation games, surprised i made it that far in the last 🐺 game.  So for now count me out.  Not only that but i need to get back to 64 completion list.  

Do it!  This is way more about weekly contests than manipulation.  Last game there was a limit to how many messages you could send, so there was only so much scheming you could do even if you wanted.  

Events Helper · Posted

What does this consist of because honestly, i dont have a big collection and I find it frustrating to play emulators 😛 Right now i am playing millipede via a browser and if there is anything more frustrating it is using anything but my thumb to move in all directions...............

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I hope we do away with the max PMs rule, it feels silly to me personally.

HA!  That's why you ignored it!

And I totally disagree, it made for much more strategy and planning when it came to the day before the vote.  

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, B.A. said:

HA!  That's why you ignored it!

And I totally disagree, it made for much more strategy and planning when it came to the day before the vote.  

>_>

I don't think it makes for more strategy tbh, I'd argue it severely limits it. Consider that sending TOO many messages to TOO many people can backfire, and limiting PMs per day really just saves us from ourselves in that regard.