IGNORED

Gas Prices and how low can they go?

RH

Honestly, by and far, all the price spikers in my area can keep their product and I'll keep buying where it's cheap until things normalize.

A different (although partially related) version of his is me looking at our local (and by local I mean 3-states-regional) grocery chain yesterday at ground beef.  The chain had let everyone know that supplies on it would be more limited than in the past so prices would likely go up, which should be no big surprise.  However, when 75/25 is at $4.50/lb but a mile down the road at Aldi I can still pick it up all day long at $2.29/lb...something's going on.  Not even Sam's and Walmart have spiked their prices anywhere near that during the lockdown, so to me, it's telling that some places are just making whatever excuses they need to to push profits.

To be clear that this isn't the little guy needing higher prices to fight off the bigger guys, at the location by my house whole milk (basically necessary until my little girl turns 2) is $3.99/gal, and sometimes gets discounted to $3.79/gal when you buy two.  The same chain at two less convenient locations (10-15 mins drive instead of 5 or less) always have it at $2.99/gal (with a discount to $2.59/gal when you buy two).  To be transparent, the one near me is in one state, while the others referenced are across the line in another state.  However, ones further away in my own state (20-30 mins drive) also share the $2.99/$2.59 pricing.  My brother worked at the store closest to me as a teen and when I complained about the milk pointed out that that store is apparently the "gateway" for all sorts of folks who live out in the middle of nowhere in the region, so it spikes all sorts of staples simply because the folks going there get everything in one go and don't go any farther.  Some would say it's smart business, but to me it's being crooked.  If it weren't for the little store brand pizzas that my son adores, I'd have probably abandoned the chain wholesale for a combo of Aldi and Sam's at this point.

On 5/12/2020 at 5:48 PM, nrslam said:

Looks like my initial guess was pretty accurate.  Got down to $1.51 at a few stations just a week ago, and has now bounced back up to $1.79. Sure is going back up faster than it came down.

it's back up to almost $2 around me. it has evened off over the last week but it shot back up really quickly.

As shown by dxandy it was down to about a 1.30 for a week or so.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 1:29 AM, Tulpa said:

Unless they can magically disappear this virus, they don't have much choice.

Never underestimate the power of greed.

If it were more profitable to burn children instead of coal, I guarantee you there would be baby farms.

/s ... ?

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Did you miss the day that oil futures hit negative $38/barrel, to where people were willing to pay almost $40k per contract to NOT take delivery?

Then why are gas prices starting to go back up?

50 minutes ago, CMR said:

Then why are gas prices starting to go back up?

There is a difference in the crude and refined market (in terms of timing).  The crude price drop was due to world wide decreased demand in comparison to supplies due to both the coronavirus effects and a spat between Saudi Arabia and Russia whereby they both increased production of crude. 

Refined supply is much more reflective of current market demands - the recent price lowering was a combination of reduced usage due to so many people staying home and also  essentially having few places to go.  So inventory wasn't moving resulting in a lower price.  Now with the country opening up to whatever degree (and I suspect many people are just sick of being cooped up) there is more demand so the price is going up. 

It remains to be seen what the beginning of the arrival of the surplus crude stocks (see my earlier post) will do to the refined market in the near future.  

On an odd side note the refined oil glut has been  having a negative effect on the meat industry's supply problems above and beyond what the coronavirus is doing to the packing plants directly (and the changing supply pattern demands due to the virus)..

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

There's not much they can do if no one is buying it because they're staying home. Unless petroleum can cure COVID-19.

You haven't heard?  It can.  You put 100ccs if it straight into your arm and you're cured in short order. (mind you you're dead, but so will the virus inside you too shortly)