IGNORED

Craig's List Sellers: Is this possibly a scam response?

RH

I've not tried to sell on Craigslist much.  I have picked items up.  My wife's Grand Father who is in assisted living had an estate sale about a month ago.  What was left was an adjustable bed.  I put it on craigslist because the Re:store wouldn't take it and we'd like to get it to someone if they can use it.

Someone reached out to me asking me if my price was the final price.  They asked to not use the Craigslist system and asked to use direct email.  I'm fine with that, but considering, what has since transpired, I see it as a "yellow" flag.

Anyway, I responded that it was for sale but I wanted to float it at the asking price I through out.  That was a week ago and I never heard back from the person.  I also haven't had anyone contact me regarding the beds, so this morning I emailed the guy back and basically said, "if you want the beds, just throw out an offer."

This was the response I received:

Thanks for the response to my husband  regarding your item, We are ready to make the purchase now but i wont be able to meet with you due to my work frame and also we are very busy at this time because we are moving and  also arranging  for our daughter's wedding , And the price and condition as shown on the Craigslist sound good to us,  My husband will proceed to overnight a Cashier Check to you through FedEx  and after it  clears your bank before we make arrangement for the pick up. I will adding extra $50 to the asking price so that you reserve it for me..Kindly Email the  below information to overnight the check to you ASAP.

Name to be  on the Check
Address to  overnight check
Cell #... ...And the Asking Price.

Kindly Acknowledge the receipt of this email and  Awaiting information needed  to overnight payment out tomorrow morning .
Thanks and Stay safe.

Ooooook, this just feels weird and it feels scammy but I can't see the direct scam.  I'm not giving them my bank account number.  I know, that's a no-no.  It could be assumed they would have needed both my number and address to pick up the bed so that's not fishy and, of course, they'd need a name.  But the wording and the verbiage just feels off, especially since they ask for the Asking Price.  

So what do you guys think?  

Administrator · Posted

If you get that gut feeling that something is a scam on craigslist, go with your gut.  

Nothing about that message sounds realistic.  It is screaming scam to me.

Also...I googled some of the phrasing, and look at the language in this reddit post.  

• Thanks 2

That sounds like the scam where they mail you a check for way over the asking price and ask you to return the difference. 

The overuse of "kindly" is tipoff this coming from someone with English as a second language from an overseas country with a high rate of scammers.

• Like 2

Homebrew Team · Posted

Scam.  For banking, there is check clears, as in the funds are available in your account, and then there is check clears as in it goes through all the official channels.  The second part takes longer and that is where you may have the funds, but the check is a fake and the bank will claw back the money.   

The few times I have dealt on cragslist, cash only.  

Edited by Deadeye
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lincoln said:

That sounds like the scam where they mail you a check for way over the asking price and ask you to return the difference. 

The overuse of "kindly" is tipoff this coming from someone with English as a second language from an overseas country with a high rate of scammers.

I 100% agree.  It feels like someone wrote this in one language and ran it through a translator.

1 minute ago, Deadeye said:

Scam.  For banking, there is check clears, as in the funds are available in your account, and then there is check clears as in it goes through all the official channels.  The second part takes longer and that is where you may have the funds, but the check is a fake and the bank will claw back the money.   

Ah, so they can make fake cashiers checks.  It's not really that expensive of an item.  In fact, I asked $500, but if someone offered $50, they can have it.  Heck, someone could take it for free, but since I'm selling it for my wife's Grand Father, I was hoping to make something off of it.

So, if I get a cashiers check and it doesn't clear, is the scam they stole the item?  I assumed they were going to charge back to my account.  I'm going to say know, but I'm now trying to figure out how this will work.  I get Paypal.  We know how people buy stuff and then claim damaged goods or whatever just to get Paypal to refund, but a cashiers check I could ask to be made out to "cash" and get it cashed, no?

Well, this is to fun.  This is my response:

Woah... ok, the bed has been setting a while in a vacant house.  I looked under it while moving it around and I noticed there was a black widow on it, protecting an egg sack.  I did manage to squash the black widow but the egg sack caused babies to scatter.  They ran all over the underside but, fortunately, there was a can of bug spray in a closet.  I sprayed the bed down, so I'm sure they are dead.

If you are still interested, you can have it for half the asking price, which was $1,000.

😈

I'll tone it down if they come back with the correct price.  I'm guessing they will say "that sounds great!"

Edited by RH

My guess is that when they send you the "money" they will "accidentally" send too much and want the difference back.

I know that in some cases (if an item is particularly desireable (i.e.quickly marketable)) they will indeed pick it up.   Maybe even ask you to pay the "pick up" service out of any extra "money" they sent you.  Not sure how quickly marketable your stuff would be though.

Edited by Tabonga

I have been through this before.  Basically they send you a fake western union or some other money check and want you to cash it.  I got one for like triple the asking price of the item I was selling.  They said something like my assistant made a mistake and sent the wrong amount.  They then want you to cash it and keep the money for the item, and even some extra, and send the rest back to them with the item.  My hunch is that sometimes they can get cashed and other times the check cashier employee raises the alarm and then you are stuck with the issue of trying to pass a fraudulent cashier check.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
20 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

100% scam.  Improper English.  Excuse for why they can't meet you in person.  Offering more than asking with no real reason to do so.  100% scam.  

The only thing missing is that their spouse just recently died.  

Spouse will die in the follow-up. "Oh no my loving husband has died! Since this was his last wish I would like to buy this anyway, if you will kindly accept."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Spouse will die in the follow-up. "Oh no my loving husband has died! Since this was his last wish I would like to buy this anyway, if you will kindly accept."

Wow... his last wish was for a 20 year old, adjustable bed without mattress and fugly head board?  Lady, just take it.

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, RH said:

I'm sure this is a scam... but I'm about to find out the fun way.  I'll post back in here when I'm done.  Hopefully I don't push to hard up front.

Did you see the reddit post I linked with the exact same phrases?  This is 100% a scam and nonsense.  No doubts about it.

16 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Did you see the reddit post I linked with the exact same phrases?  This is 100% a scam and nonsense.  No doubts about it.

14 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

He knows it is a scam. He is having fun with it at this point.

Yes, this.  I asked $500 in the initial post on CL.  The guy asked me for the price and I said I'd give him half of--$1,000.  I know it's fake.  If he accepts, then the games begin.

I ran into this a couple years ago selling my car. Was essentially someone claiming they were in the Army and wanted the car to fix it up themselves (it was a beater lol).

General rules of thumb when it comes to cragislist or any reselling/listing site like this;
Never deal in anything but cash (or personal check, but even then really avoid that if you can help it)
Never deliver or drop it off, either the buyer comes and picks it up or you meet up in some middle grounds location, which goes to;
Always meet the person face to face. If someone can't show their face for 5 minutes then screw 'em

• 4 weeks later...