IGNORED

F1 racing championship is NOT a PAL exclusive N64 game

This may come as a shock to some people, and it's information that I myself as an avid PAL N64 collector am only recently aware of but there is an NTSC U version of F1 racing championship for N64.

nillew39.thumb.JPG.06112dc629107a4997abbb48c0b692d6.JPG

f1rc-brazil-1b.jpg.39937140c00981a79184acc4599892f7.jpg

This version of the game was distributed exclusively in Brazil, but it is a bonefide NTSC U version of the game which will run on a North American N64 system.

Previously I was only aware of the PAL version of this game, and common knowledge holds that this is a PAL exclusive. However, it is clearly not.

I'm not saying that this now counts as part of the US set, as obviously it wasn't released in the USA. But at the very least it can no longer be considered a PAL exclusive.

Thoughts, opinions, feelings?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GPX said:

@OptOut, is this the same game as F1 World Championship GP?

Interesting how Brazil has this game while US never got it. If they think it wouldn’t be profitable to sell in the US, then why convert it to NTSC in the first place?

Do you mean F1 World Grand Prix? No, this is a different game to that, and that game DOES have a proper US release. It is interesting that of the handful of PAL releases that never came to the US two of them are formula one games (F1 World Grand Prix 2 and F1 racing championship)!

The simple reason is that Formula 1 isn't particularly popular in the USA, whereas it is in Brazil. So the economics of releasing it there obviously made sense to Ubisoft, but there clearly wasn't a business case to sell it in the States.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Do you mean F1 World Grand Prix? No, this is a different game to that, and that game DOES have a proper US release. It is interesting that of the handful of PAL releases that never came to the US two of them are formula one games (F1 World Grand Prix 2 and F1 racing championship)!

The simple reason is that Formula 1 isn't particularly popular in the USA, whereas it is in Brazil. So the economics of releasing it there obviously made sense to Ubisoft, but there clearly wasn't a business case to sell it in the States.

Yeah, I meant F1 World GP. Damn, too many racing games gets me all confused! lol

Seems to be a similar marketing decision along the line of Ken Griffey Jr being exclusive in Australia for the Pal version. Baseball not very popular in Europe, most probably.

• Like 1

Absolutely, it's the exact parallel I thought of. So, the ranks of bonefide PAL exclusive N64 games thins to 3: Taz Express; Premier Manager 64; and F1 WGP 2. F1 racing championship is demoted to the list of PAL "pseudo-exclusives" alongside Rakuga Kids; Airboarder 64; and Centre court tennis.

The wider acknowledgement of this game does, however, pose an interesting question to US based N64 collectors. While it doesn't count for the "North American" set, it must count for the wider "NTSC-U" set. Previously those sets were essentially considered one and the same, but now they diverge.

So, if you're going for the N64 "fullset" you need to ask yourself, are you going for the US set or the full NTSC-U set.

This is very similar to conversations PAL collectors have had over the years when considering the purchase of the (expensive) Australian exclusive PAL games. Some people are happy with a full UK (or wherever) PAL set, excluding the Aussie games. However, I personally would not consider the PAL fullset complete without them.

Food for thought!

I've been talking about this version for some time.
It's definitely not a PAL exclusive.
I have my copy since my childhood.

@KokiriChildI'm pretty sure it's in English but I can pop it in tonight to make sure.

It's cool to know that during the N64 days Ubisoft treated the Brazilian market well.
Besides this release we got an alternate box art, manual and cart for All-Star Tennis 99.

Xki6OSNl.jpg

A few months ago I posted on my instagram some pictures of the box art, including the back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B443-KSHcsb/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

@OptOutfrom what I noticed in the past few years, people will continue to disconsider this game for the fullset because it wasn't released in the US.

Edited by Galdius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah of course it will never be considered part of the US fullset, but I wonder how many people will start to care that their "fullset" is in fact only a subset of the NTSC-U fullset?

For years many PAL collectors have done their best to convince themselves they don't need the Australian exclusives. I mean, you can collect however you want, but I would consider it a copout, personally.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broncofantd793 said:

I remember a CIB for $120 at auction, but that was years ago. Before the recent spike in the market. 

The cheapest cart I see in Brazil is $110 with a bad label.

Where did the spike/sales happen? I don't see any completed listings on Ebay.

2 hours ago, DK said:

The cheapest cart I see in Brazil is $110 with a bad label.

Where did the spike/sales happen? I don't see any completed listings on Ebay.

The auction I'm thinking of was probably 3 to 4 years ago.  My comment was aimed at the increased prices of game items that are both rare and desirable.

• 1 year later...
Hello everybody.
I was on the hunt for the F1 racing championship 2 and I ended up finding this debate. I am a collector from Brazil and I have 2 loose units for sale. I tried to sell on ebay but I would have to have an account and an international card, which made it impossible to sell there. study sale or exchange for games of 64.

20210403_224315.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, N64Br said:

Hello everybody.
I was on the hunt for the F1 racing championship 2 and I ended up finding this debate. I am a collector from Brazil and I have 2 loose units for sale. I tried to sell on ebay but I would have to have an account and an international card, which made it impossible to sell there. study sale or exchange for games of 64.

20210403_224315.jpg

PM'd

This thread legitimately scared me. I thought we would have finally had a “Stadium Events” for the system.

Brazil is all kinds of awesome and I wish more US collectors cared about it, but we can’t even seem to care about our northern border and they have some of the more cooler items out there.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

This thread legitimately scared me. I thought we would have finally had a “Stadium Events” for the system.

Brazil is all kinds of awesome and I wish more US collectors cared about it, but we can’t even seem to care about our northern border and they have some of the more cooler items out there.

What Northern border? The only thing north of me is the Arctic. 😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

*cocks gun*

You are now an honorary American.

Here’s your introductory cheeseburger, Bible, and medical debt. Don’t forget to tip your waitress.

(PS: I’m posting this from a gun range)

image.jpg

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1