IGNORED

F1 racing championship is NOT a PAL exclusive N64 game

As a Nintendo fan and collector, I only consider the full set complete with all games released for the console, regardless of the region where it was released.
This game I consider a masterpiece of the 64 for its graphic design. Using S-video cable and expander on a crt TV the image is spectacular.
Even in Brazil the box and manual are extremely rare to say the least impossible

20210520_145711.jpg

20210520_145841.jpg

20210520_145750.jpg

It does have the NTSC-U seal, but guess it was just not slated for sale in the US but in other NTSC countries.  Is this a late release as well?  This game prob had the same kind of fate as other Nintendo late release or low selling games, being shipped to South America or over seas.  For example Samsons/F2s being shipped to Latin America/Chile, the Mega Man 6 Brazil variant, Spuds Adventure/Stop That Roach low selling gameboy games being found over in Europe etc.

In fact, this game was launched in Brazil due to a passion that the Brazilian had for Formula 1 with the best driver in the world "Ayrton Senna" and in Europe because Formula 1 is like Brazil for football. The release statement is not correct because it is at the end of production, but where games will have specific audiences. ex: sin and punshment, which came out only in japan.
A matter of color was that at the time, Brazilian TVs used the "PAL-M 60hertz" color pattern in Europe "PAL-N50hertz. Unlike Japan and Usa, which already used" NtSC "at that time, it was necessary to do the transcoding on the console by changing crystal color for image to be colored and to play Japanese games the region locks were cut.

Capture+_2021-05-20-18-58-47.png

Capture+_2021-05-20-19-01-52.png

@guitarzombie top left says “para venda e uso somente no brasil” which translates to “For sale and use only in Brazil”

Bottom left says “Jogo desenvolvido em ingles. contem manual de instrucoes em portugues.” which translates to “Game Developed in English. Contains instruction manual In Portuguese”

So yeah, it’s explicitly a Brazilian release that’s 100% compatible with a North American console and able to be played in the common language of North America.

Technically the game is more accessible here in the US. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 3

Exactly.
In fact, what changes in the BR version is just a label and the writing in Portuguese.
But in the case of ShadowMan and South Park the subtitles are in Portuguese and not in English.
Both in Brazil-USA and in Japan the color standard is NTSC, the variant after that is only to inform the origin of the product.
Type NtSc- "J" Japan.
The only one not compatible with the 3 countries Br-Jp and Usa and European Standard because it works with the frequency of 50hertz which generates a frequency incompatibility in the systems Br-Jp and Usa and use 60herts of frequency.

But do you know what's incredible? I have a European Hunter Dinosaur turok that works with a simple adapter on both my N64 Br and the N64 it uses, but interesting is that when testing Taz express it doesn't work.
The message "not compatible with system" appears.

22 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I have said it before, but any US N64 collector going for the fullset WITHOUT this game is like a PAL fullset collector going without the Aussie exclusives. 

I mean, sure, your collection is "complete"... If that helps you sleep at night! 😉😛

Why would they want a game that wasn't released in their country?  People collect by officially released games in their country, not by their analog tv parameters.

Edited by guitarzombie
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Why would they want a game that wasn't released in their country?  People collect by officially released games in their country, not by their analog tv parameters.

PAL collectors tend not to, actually around the world it is very common for collectors to buy games not released where they live.

Check your privilege, YANK! 😛

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Provide me proof.

IMG20210522105118_compress94.jpg.b62afb6bad66af333ae9d77498a4684e.jpg

IMG20210522105050_compress80.jpg.5f6102a8f514a2f0abd078c0067245f8.jpg

IMG20210522105033_compress67.jpg.140fd0d477f00c9a33d02a364e5d9af9.jpg

IMG20210522105128_compress37.jpg.534b05428e718728a493341fe4c3fcb8.jpg

IMG20210522105141_compress12.jpg.0e5249b2266c2faece4ebde17619337a.jpg

IMG20210522105044_compress82.jpg.ba7c000155553c2c5a13823c92904ca0.jpg

Well, I am a pretty big PAL collector, and all my shit is mixed together, PAL, Japanese, US... You name it...

Ask any serious PAL N64 collector if the Aussie exclusives count, and they will tell you what I have said.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, guitarzombie said:

But thats just you.  You're putting PAL collecting sensibilities on NTSC, who already just buy what was available to them.  

@Sumez please educate this fine man about how people outside the USA collect games, I don't have time to argue with a brick wall today.

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I have a pretty decent collection of games not released here in Canada/North America. I know plenty of people here do.

I have some PAL NES/Gameboy games too that I love (Like Mr. Gimmick, my 2nd fav NES game.  How many US collectors have Gimmick/Trip World Hammerin Harry for NES and GB AND Beethoven!).  The issue is, he's saying PAL collectors will collect everything thats PAL, so that must apply to NTSC as per his rules for collecting.  Where as far as I know in my circle, people going for full sets here (NTSC) are only interested in games that were officially released in their own country.  That means if you're going for a full set NTSC, you need to get all the Brazilian Playtronic games too?  Or also a full set famicom?

6 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I have some PAL NES/Gameboy games too that I love (Like Mr. Gimmick, my 2nd fav NES game.  How many US collectors have Gimmick/Trip World Hammerin Harry for NES and GB AND Beethoven!).  The issue is, he's saying PAL collectors will collect everything thats PAL, so that must apply to NTSC as per his rules for collecting.  Where as far as I know in my circle, people going for full sets here (NTSC) are only interested in games that were officially released in their own country.  That means if you're going for a full set NTSC, you need to get all the Brazilian Playtronic games too?  Or also a full set famicom?

Actually if you read my previous response, like MONTHS ago I wrote on the first page, I said that this game obviously is NOT a part of the USA set. However, it IS a part of the NTSC-U set, that is not up for debate.

If you choose to focus on the USA releases only, that's completely up to you. Personally, I would consider it a cop out and would not consider my collection complete till I got it.

If you are comfortable with your decision, then feel free to live with it. I'm not imposing my collecting preferences on to anyone, but I AM free to express them here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

Where as far as I know in my circle, people going for full sets here (NTSC) are only interested in games that were officially released in their own country.  

Nah, NTSC collectors interested in full sets are only interested in the following:

Full set of NTSC games - unlicensed games - rumored rental exclusives - expensive sport game that they can claim is a 'variant' - other expensive games*

That is the NTSC 2021 full set my friends. Way different than the beloved 1998 full set that I had chased so many years ago.

*Some excuse will be made as to why they don't count 😛

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OptOut said:

@Sumez please educate this fine man about how people outside the USA collect games, I don't have time to argue with a brick wall today.

This is also common in Australia. We have UK/German/Australia/Europe in stores but it is also not uncommon to find US & Japanese at some of those markets that sell everything. In fact I thought this was common but have noticed it isn't in the US, they seem to be very focused on US or nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Shmup said:

This is also common in Australia. We have UK/German/Australia/Europe in stores but it is also not uncommon to find US & Japanese at some of those markets that sell everything. In fact I thought this was common but have noticed it isn't in the US, they seem to be very focused on US or nothing.

I mean yea it is pretty much US or nothing if your collecting habits are tied to nostalgia, which many are. Major stores never sold import games here. You weren’t going to walk into Sears, Kmart, Walmart, etc and find a  European or Japanese game or Brazilian game. There might have been the occasional mom and pop store that did import a few things  but that would have been VERY rare. Certainly nowhere within driving distance of me did that back in the day.

So theres no connection to that stuff to the average American collector.

Personally I find the aesthetics of alot of the international stuff displeasing as well. Which is another reason I have no interest in it

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Nah, NTSC collectors interested in full sets are only interested in the following:

Full set of NTSC games - unlicensed games - rumored rental exclusives - expensive sport game that they can claim is a 'variant' - other expensive games*

That is the NTSC 2021 full set my friends. Way different than the beloved 1998 full set that I had chased so many years ago.

*Some excuse will be made as to why they don't count 😛

Separation of licensed and unlicensed has been a thing as long as I can remember. But I haven’t seen much of the other minuses you mentioned. Hell I dont think Ive seen any new full set collectors make themselves know in years. Everyone I see just grabs a few games of interest anymore. Im thinking fullsetting is a dieing or dead venture at this point

48 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I mean yea it is pretty much US or nothing if your collecting habits are tied to nostalgia, which many are. Major stores never sold import games here. You weren’t going to walk into Sears, Kmart, Walmart, etc and find a  European or Japanese game or Brazilian game. There might have been the occasional mom and pop store that did import a few things  but that would have been VERY rare. Certainly nowhere within driving distance of me did that back in the day.

So theres no connection to that stuff to the average American collector.

Personally I find the aesthetics of alot of the international stuff displeasing as well. Which is another reason I have no interest in it

I guess just different growing up environment. I personally love exploring games from as many regions as possible and I think UK & Europe would be similar.

Definitely agree on the aesthetics. I personally find most of the US bland or hideous. The US SNES is ugly from console to boxes. Famicom carts look better and I overall prefer Japanese artwork over western releases. Just my preference though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I guess just different growing up environment. I personally love exploring games from as many regions as possible and I think UK & Europe would be similar.

Not to mention, sheer necessity... Depending on the PAL country your living in, certain games simply never made it over... And that's JUST talking about PAL games themselves.

When you add in the multitude of awesome US and Japanese games we never saw at all, it's no wonder importing was a huge part of gaming growing up in UK, EU, OZ and beyond!

• Like 1