IGNORED

Mobile gaming, what are you enjoying now (or have before?)

Tanooki

As things get better on the technology side and more people or companies are making some really solid efforts that work surprisingly well despite the default lack of tactile response mobile gaming has a real good thing going on if you know where to look.  I was thinking a good discussion around that, and maybe peoples favorites, links to (or reviews) of some of these games could be a lot of fun.

I've been on forums or other media that have these topics and unless I missed it I didn't see one here.  Since it started I played daily Pokemon Go but I'm talking time away from it now as it got stale if you don't have local friends due to changes.  Yet I also have been day one with Dragalia Lost which is phenomenal published by Nintendo, made by Cygames, and they are known as the gatcha system game makers with such high levels of generosity you only pay if you choose to, there's no pressure or burned.  Combined with a stunning story that keeps growing even in its second year, more modes, more characters, dragons, weapons to get or craft, there's a lot.  Yes it has a stamina bar but it's not prohibitive, and the freebies they dish you could play all day if you wanted after not long too.  Control despite being touch only is fluid, very responsive, and oddly doesn't harm tight play in combat situations.  The game has an amazing 2D/3D package for visuals, stunning music a lot sung by Japanese artist Daoko which sets a solid mood, basically there's a lot to love and little to hate.  Around the always going event/raid of some sort, general stage stuff, general development, the game could keep you happy for years applying yourself a little or a lot.

I want to throw a mention to Dragon Quest of the Stars which is amazing.  Despite being a mobile game, it seemingly is a full fledged Dragon Quest title.  There's a lot to go, many chapters and lots stuff to do, similarly to how Dragalia does stuff, but being square-enix they're a little more pushy and forward about the cash in mechanic, but it's also not nasty or prohibitive to stop you from enjoying playing the game for 5min or over an hour in a sitting at least going into Chapter 2 where I just started into.  It has a lot of overlap with Dragalia on what do which is nice, even added ways to develop stuff that's more DQ like in a traditional sense.

I got an iPad recently along with Apple Arcade and I’ve been enjoying Mini Motorways. It’s an addicting puzzle game. There’s already a subreddit for it if people are interested.

I was impressed with how well they managed to make the gameplay of Kingdom Hearts translate over in Kingdom Hearts Union X.

Seedship is a cool little text adventure game about finding a habitable planet for a colony of humans. The games are short enough for small bite sized sessions, but theoretically you can prolong it as long as your resources last if you don’t make a wrong decision and kill everyone.

Papers, Please is on mobile. For those that  don’t know, it’s a game where you play as a border agent checking passports and immigration documents for some odd fictional country and you have to filter out terrorists. It’s actually really well made and engaging.

And I’ve been playing waaaay too much Old School RuneScape mobile. But also not nearly enough to be good at it. Old School RuneScape is the only game I hate that I’ve loved playing for so many years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Seedship is a cool little text adventure game about finding a habitable planet for a colony of humans. The games are short enough for small bite sized sessions, but theoretically you can prolong it as long as your resources last if you don’t make a wrong decision and kill everyone.

Wow thanks, never heard of that before and there's a web version I just clicked through not realizing it was instant play.  10th planet I settled, 1/3 of my people died due to an advanced alien defense system, but the world was mostly earth like but a bit resource poor, so it's a medieval level of life mixed with modern.  Pretty fun and short ride, and I see it's on ios too.

Kind of in a loose way reminds me of that other text game the Ensign and A Dark Room.

43 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Wow thanks, never heard of that before and there's a web version I just clicked through not realizing it was instant play.  10th planet I settled, 1/3 of my people died due to an advanced alien defense system, but the world was mostly earth like but a bit resource poor, so it's a medieval level of life mixed with modern.  Pretty fun and short ride, and I see it's on ios too.

Kind of in a loose way reminds me of that other text game the Ensign and A Dark Room.

I settled a planet once where my probe told me there was alien life, so I wondered what would happen. Turns out the aliens were tribal and shamanistic, and the humans ended up enslaving them. I felt like a dick. But another game I settled on a planet with alien life and they killed most of the colony.

I don’t want to spoil all of the text events and decisions to make, but I was very impressed when a rogue program came online that endangered the lives of some colonists and I had to decide whether to stop the program by shutting everything down momentarily (thus flying blind) or to let it run its course and not risk getting hit by some object in space.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 11:22 PM, The Strangest said:

I settled a planet once where my probe told me there was alien life, so I wondered what would happen. Turns out the aliens were tribal and shamanistic, and the humans ended up enslaving them. I felt like a dick. But another game I settled on a planet with alien life and they killed most of the colony.

I don’t want to spoil all of the text events and decisions to make, but I was very impressed when a rogue program came online that endangered the lives of some colonists and I had to decide whether to stop the program by shutting everything down momentarily (thus flying blind) or to let it run its course and not risk getting hit by some object in space.

Fascinating.  I'll keep poking a stick at it around my rampant amazement at how damn good Dragon Quest to the Stars is.  I was knowing S-E for being one of the most high priced whale pushing twits on mobile, but this thing has not been stopping me from playing sessions that go over an hour or two which is a stunner.

Also like I said, if you like the basic text think about it stuff, "A Dark Room" and the more complex "Ensign" from the same maker are a must and very cheap on mobile formats.

Also if someone here wants a solidly done 8/16bit style looking hack and slash/platformer etc style game Goblin Sword is some guys one off and it's very well done and highly rated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Also if someone here wants a solidly done 8/16bit style looking hack and slash/platformer etc style game Goblin Sword is some guys one off and it's very well done and highly rated.

I think this is on sale on the Switch for like $4 right now... I almost grabbed it.

There are also in the other way around console/handheld games converted to mobile as well.

Take for instance what is on my phone, some of it years old, some I used to have but lazily never was updated for 64bit so it's dead to me (like Virtua Cop.)  I've got just for pinball alone Pinball Arcade, Zaccaria ME, Pinball Dreams, and Pinball Fantasies, the latter two old 8/16bit console/computer games.  A Dark Room, Bastion(PC game), Dragon Fantasy(console converted), Dragon Quest 1, Falling Light Blocks, Blazing Star(neo geo), Evoland(pc/console), Final Fantasy I, Grumpy Cat(think wario ware), Infinity Blade 1 and 2 (never got 3), Magic Puzzles (it's just jigsaw free, diy, or pay), Metal Slug 1 and3 (neo geo), Neo Turf Masters (neo geo), Out There Omega (console), Part Time Ufo, Pocket City, Shantae (console), Solitaire, Terraria(multi platform), Zookeeper (PC/DS.)

I'd point out any of those are worth dealing with on a mobile device, a few are a bit more sketchy on glass unless you're comfy with it but if you are they're solid.

Falling Light Bricks is the Tetris game the real makers refuse to make right on mobile still.  Bonus, even on iOS you are allowed skins (not just visual but audio) and I found a 1:1 clone for NES Tetris so it looks, sounds, plays and scores the same.  Grumpy Cat is free but you can coin by choice and it's straight up wario ware and lots of mini games for it too.  And Part Time Ufo is made by HAL Labs (ie: Kirby) and the little UFO kind of looks like Kirby and it's a great claw game type setup.  Pocket City is another excellent clone of SIm City far better than what EA shovels out too.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:35 AM, ErickRPG said:

The first time I played Mega Mall Story, I loved it.  And thought damn we need more sim tower type games similar to this!  Kairo soft are still about the only smart phone games I'll play these days.

I don't suppose Tiffany is at the Mega Mall is she? 😄 

5 hours ago, fox said:

Stuffed with ads and micro transaction bs

pass

Oh I totally agree...but the Simon's Cat games are cute 🙂   But yeah I really would prefer a proper console/handheld release or at least a way to play it on a regular desktop.

You know a good one that should amuse some here despite the strange mascot (now dead one too) is the excellent Wario Ware clone Grumpy Cat's Worst Game Ever.  Had a big pile of unlockable challenges, and had dailies too.  It's all entirely free, and the unlocking you get coins for doing the stuff or from shaking the cat stickers you get to buy a gatcha-shot for a new stickers.  It does pop up flat screen box ads, and you can optionally buy an added life watching an ad, but nothing is required.  Each day you're given from the cat an 'awful gift' which is coins basically.  If the ads tick you off it's 1.99 to remove and given the mass amount of content and hi score runs, it's very worth it.

Edited by Tanooki

Shredd - abstract vertical runner, avoid spikes by shifting left right or split

Robot Unicorn Attack - horizontal runner in a sci-fi fantasy world with 80s pop rock-inspired soundtrack

Regular Arcade - Regular Show themed minigames

Will Hero - fantasy action, traverse floating islands picking up weapons and killing orcs

Edited by Link