IGNORED

Mobile gaming, what are you enjoying now (or have before?)

Tanooki

Wow nice I forgot about Tiny Tower, did that years ago, then tried it again for a bit when they did the Star Wars version.  It's oddly addicting, but really isn't big on the hard sell for paying money on it but it is there.

Now while they're not ideal without a gamepad, though for the sport game in this list it doesn't matter thankfully, the Neo-Geo arcade conversions of Neo Turf Masters, Blazing Star, and various Samurai Shodown and Metal Slug releases are amazing, great portable fun.  I really wish they'd port over League Bowling. 🙂  NTM works perfectly using touch since it's not asking for fast response at all.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:06 PM, Tanooki said:

the excellent Wario Ware clone Grumpy Cat's Worst Game Ever.  Had a big pile of unlockable challenges, and had dailies too.  It's all entirely free, and the unlocking you get coins for doing the stuff or from shaking the cat stickers you get to buy a gatcha-shot for a new stickers.  It does pop up flat screen box ads, and you can optionally buy an added life watching an ad, but nothing is required.  Each day you're given from the cat an 'awful gift' which is coins basically. 

I got this and it’s fun

• Like 1

I play Pokemon Go pretty regularly. It can be played entirely without spending a dime on it provided you put forth the effort and time. I have spent money on it as I have enjoyed myself enough, which is my sole gauge/requirement for if I engage with micro-transactions. I figure if the game entertains me they have earned my money.

I partook of Clash of Clans for a bit (with a bunch of people that I worked with at the time) but gave up on it eventually since it, well, is the epitome of Micro-transaction grindyness. Played a few clones of it as well to varying degrees just because.

I'll give a shoutout to the mobile version of Organ Trail (the zombie parody/remake of Oregon Trail) and it worked pretty well. Actually liked it more and honestly think it played better then on PC. It was surprisingly intuitive/translated well to touchscreen

• Like 1

I just forced myself to erase Go in the last week.  Been at it since day one and still only level 36 I think it was.  Progress is ridiculous when an evolve is only 1K and you need 2.X Million to pop up.  I don't have hours a day to drive or walk around and go nuts on gyms and get into it, and what did me in as I easily did ignore that and didn't care, they got more pushy in recent times about the social side which I can't do.  I don't have local friends to battle or trade with so getting those rewards was getting aggravatingly challenging to near impossible so I nuked it.  It has been quite a freedom thing not having to worry about that anymore.

I have another I'd like to suggest -- Pocket City.  Basically, it's Sim City/SC2K for mobile.  It's stunningly well done to the point it's just embarrassing the hell out of the actual Sim City garbage that EA shoved out there over the years.  The game is easy to navigate, lots to build, and just really fun to see what you can do with it.  No lame energy bars, who whaling, nothing.  It's just good clean fun for 5 min or hours.

@Tanooki The single best way to grind exp in POGO is too reach Best Friend rank with as many people on your friends list as possible. The exp received from ranking up with friends is boosted by lucky eggs, meaning Ultra Friend's 50k is boosted to 100k and Best Friend's 100k is boosted to 200k. I personally combine it with doing all my evolving while the Lucky Egg is active, which I average about ~20k more.

WOW anyone see the drop today.  Konami is just trolling the Switch I think.

$2.99/2.99GBP -- Castlevania Symphony of the Night on iOS and ANDROID went live at midnight, no press about it, just slipped it out there like it's nothing.  Has probably awful touch control depending how you manage it, or game pad.  For the price I snapped it up but I'm working currently so I can't really focus on that or I won't get done.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Is deluxe bad? I stay away from the switch?

It's not bad at all...it's just a port of the WiiU game and that's not good enough.  Every console since the SNES and every handheld since the GBA had a Mario Kart (a real one, not a remake or a cheap phone game) and I really hope they don't end that streak now 😞

[Both of these have blocky pixel graphics, so if that’s not your thing, skip it]

On consoles I’ve never been interested in games with turn-based combat (except Paper Mario), nor collecting and evolving critters. I have never wanted to play any Final Fantasy or Pokemon, and I thought I would like Monster Hunter Tri but really did not. Yet I have found a couple of games like that on mobile. I think it’s because of the controls maybe. Like, platformers or fighters suck with touchscreen. Maybe in the same way, turn-based combat and collection management works with a touchscreen better for me than with a D-pad or joystick. 

Anyway, those mobile, turn-based, critter-collecting games that I like are:  

#1 which I just found thanks to this thread because it’s from the same company as Grumpy Cat’s Worst Game Ever:  Combo Critters. You wander a field, get in battles, pick up defeated monsters, and combine them to make new monsters. My problem with this game is the combo results. They don’t make much sense, and I suspect they’re random and inconsistent, although I’d need to take notes to say so for sure. Still, I’ve been playing for a day and I say it’s fun.

#2 In Tiny Dice Dungeon, you similarly collect and upgrade monsters, but the upgrade system is more clear. In this game the area is linear map based instead of walking around a field. The monsters are elemental, so for instance, water guys are stronger against fire creatures than they are against land creatures. And the strength of your attacks are based on dice rolls. You can upgrade the dice multipliers. Some of them also have elemental aspects. And you can roll as many times as you want, but lose a turn with too many misses. This game has many different strategy effects.

Like every game I’ve mentioned here, these are free to play and entertaining enough in the free version; don’t have intrusive ads; don’t require any micro-payments and you can actually advance without them; [edit] and are good enough in single player. 

Edited by Link

On 3/4/2020 at 8:31 AM, Tanooki said:

WOW anyone see the drop today.  Konami is just trolling the Switch I think.

$2.99/2.99GBP -- Castlevania Symphony of the Night on iOS and ANDROID went live at midnight, no press about it, just slipped it out there like it's nothing.  Has probably awful touch control depending how you manage it, or game pad.  For the price I snapped it up but I'm working currently so I can't really focus on that or I won't get done.

Thanks for my new iPad purchase!

2 minutes ago, Estil said:

That's one of the main things I wondered right from the start...how are you supposed to play games on your phone/tablet that need buttons when there are no buttons? Can you at least attach a proper controller to it or something?

Most of the software includes on-screen controls via touch screen, at a minimum.

And for things that benefit from a controller, they usually support blue tooth or USB controllers.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

That's one of the main things I wondered right from the start...how are you supposed to play games on your phone/tablet that need buttons when there are no buttons? Can you at least attach a proper controller to it or something?

As Arch said, some games you can. If you're used to video games that use a controller, it's basically the same style of games you're used to.

Games that utilize the touch screen tend to be optimized for tapping or dragging your finger. They become pretty intuitive if you give them a chance. They can do things that you can't do with a controller.

Edited by Tulpa

2 hours ago, Estil said:

I’m able to easily connect my DualShock 4 to my iPad, and my friend connects his to his MacBook.

Edited by The Strangest

I already mentioned it in this thread but I had forgotten how good Papers, Please was. It’s tablet only and $8 but well worth the price of admission.

My girlfriend and I sat around playing it for a few hours yesterday, passing the iPad back and forth. She’s really good at it because she’s good at scrutinizing all of the immigration documents and finding little discrepancies. Apparently I’m “too careless” and let in too many “terrorists” so I got “arrested.”

I know the game was ported to the Switch, and it was that very version though tweaked some, but Civilization 6 is most worthy of digging into.  The old DS/Console release of Civilization Revolution had a sequel for mobile devices too which is a great streamlined version of the big game so you can kill a campaign off a lot faster.

I wasn't any good at Papers Please either, had got it on some weird bundle or free day either on GoG/Steam.

Retro Bowl for your phone is pretty awesome. 

It's 99 cents and is a pretty fun tecmo bowl style football game, but you get to manage your team. Trade players, hire new coaches, upgrade your stadium, gain exp and level up player stats. It's super fun for a dollar. 

90359214_668838733883516_5383765699086778368_n.jpg

90389384_199052618194571_6226970085412569088_n.jpg

90908238_521228048807977_7340760692741373952_n.jpg

Edited by Magus