IGNORED

Mobile gaming, what are you enjoying now (or have before?)

Tanooki

So I was craving a Call of Duty experience and I didn’t feel like buying one and a PS Online membership during this pandemic, so I downloaded the mobile version on my iPad. Fully expecting it to be mediocre, but it’s actually decent. Yes, the controls are touch and clunky (I feel like they’ll keep omitting controller support so that way this free version is still a downgrade vs. the paid console versions) but I was surprised at how playable it was. And that I’m good at it. This is a full fledged CoD game on mobile. Yes, there are micro-transactions for new guns and cosmetics but you don’t have to buy them.

C2BD5E74-F17F-4806-A3AF-F861A1BFED81.png

When I was younger, Sonic Dash 2 was a real fun, quick and easy mobile game to play to pass time on the bus to school. Leveled every character up to the maximum except for Sticks (Amy is broken with her special move, you get so many rings from activating it). It was really good up until an update about 18 months ago that made the final upgrades near impossible to get without paying. 

For the final character upgrade, you used to only need 60 red rings, which you found either within the level or through daily login rewards. You could get up to ten a day, so not too hard to get. Since this update the final upgrade is 400 red rings. From there I stopped playing it and ever caring to again. Not going to pay for a free game. Shame really, I would've 100% finished it, as after the last upgrade I had the wisp upgrades and that was it. 

Years ago I got myself a gaming tablet and played many nice mobile games. Im not playing anything mobile now, but Id really reccomend:

Monument Valley 1 or 2 - these ones are quite famous. They're puzzle games with high artistic values.

Pocket Trains - manage a railroad company. This one really makes logistics seem simple. 

Bluest Elements - platformer / beatemup with lots of combos and flashy moves. 

RGB Express - a puzzle where you need to trace cars' ways through increasingly challenging roads. 

• 11 months later...

I think it's a little strange, but ever look into Kairosoft games?  A good many are just background noise, but a few they have are genuinely really great little games, not extreme depth, but despite even still having kind of an energy bar, they're not whale bait and aggravation tactic based to get coin.  Some of them even get full game conversions and sold on other formats, such as the amazing Pocket Jockey that hit Switch (run a race horse training/breeding facility--and do the races too.)  I got a mobile based one called Magician's Saga which is pretty fun, isometric combat and town(horizontal not sim city-ish) growth.

Another, despite the anime girl boob catgirl dog girl, etc stuff in there... an oddly compellingly decent written story around an action/RPG style game with a heap to do, lots of rewards, lots of low stress truly optional to pay gatcha mechanics.  It's based on that popular series(manga/anime) Is It Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon?! series but called MEMORIA FREESE on the handheld side.  Oddly it's well enough made and written you want to see how the story goes, and then it adds more and more main line stories, a heap of stages, 3 difficulty levels.  I've got just about a month on it so far and it's solid. Second favorite rPG-ish style game just after Dragalia Lost.

• 2 weeks later...

We got the Pokemon Go thread somewhere, though I haven't been playing that at all for months now.

I used to be into Clash of Clans for a minute (mostly because the place I was working at had their own clan that everyone was a part of) and dabbled in some of the clones. When I got to the point of pay or grind for ages, I gave up as it was already super monotonous.

Some mobile versions of indie games are pretty solid. I will make to you the argument that the game "Organ Trail" is superior on mobile to PC.

Graphics Team · Posted

I used to have an iPad, and I remember enjoying this game where all you do is flip a pancake for high-scores.

To be honest, though, there's something about mobile gaming that just feels so vapid and wrong. For whatever reason, I'm just not a fan of gaming on anything that isn't a dedicated game system.

-CasualCart

I feel mostly the same, but my phone has a selection on it too.  A good bit are just basic stuff you'd do on a PC with a mouse on a browser, some text based others point and click.  Then there are some NeoGeo conversions that work ok but nothing I've got for the most part is mobile exclusive.  I am constant since it came out with Dragalia Lost which is anything but thin and vapid, and I'm digging so far the story and RPG mechanics of Memoria Freese too.  I decided to try this Star Trek Fleet Command game, not sure yet, but seems ok, but not committed enough yet I couldn't quit either but the story bits and missions are ok so far as is the starbase building.