IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

The DA showed the still here:

The full video is online. It's graphic, so I don't want to link it.

The still looks like it was taken from inside the car. I don't think that video has been released, or if it was just a photo.

Edited by Tulpa

1 hour ago, Psychobear85 said:

If we are talking about rebranding how do you guys feel about the Tapatio man. 

Being Mexican I don’t find it offensive, but what do you guys think? 

66492E27-9E5C-47DF-A35B-6E3C5F961094.jpeg

I dunno is that in fact Tapatio himself and/or did he create it?  You know, like Chef Boyardee?

21 minutes ago, Psychobear85 said:

I don’t think that’s an actual person but a rendition of what a Tapatio would look like. I did always wonder why he had blue eyes 😂

Mexicans wear color contacts too.  Though seeing as how I not only never heard of the brand I don't even like hot sauce, I guess I'm in no position to really judge one way or the other.

9 hours ago, Estil said:

I want to see it for myself (the kicking part of the video I mean).  Same goes with whatever the extra footage the jury that acquitted the officers supposedly saw that the general public did not of the Rodney King incident.

Strongly suspect that extra footage was just the LAPD saying "we know where you live"...

EDIT: There is absolutely zero reason to believe that the trial of the officers who beat Rodney King was anything but utterly corrupt, given both the specific police department involved, and the time period (i.e. 90's-era lack of additional independent bystander footage, and a broader public attitude of trusting police over victims of their violence)

Edited by arch_8ngel

9 hours ago, Psychobear85 said:

If we are talking about rebranding how do you guys feel about the Tapatio man. 

Being Mexican I don’t find it offensive, but what do you guys think? 

so. aunt jamima...

im with you as far as im white and if it was aunt "karen's" instead i wouldnt be offended and ignirantly would be my favorite syrup.

anyway thats a bit different as i think aunt jamima was an old slave song of some sort. but i think the actual aunt jamima sold her recipe to general mills and became a millionare.

20 minutes ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

so. aunt jamima...

im with you as far as im white and if it was aunt "karen's" instead i wouldnt be offended and ignirantly would be my favorite syrup.

anyway thats a bit different as i think aunt jamima was an old slave song of some sort. but i think the actual aunt jamima sold her recipe to general mills and became a millionare.

Nope. It was made by 2 dudes who used a "mammy" as their mascot, which is what Aunt Jemima is. Then it was sold to quaker. 

@Psychobear85 As for the Tapatio mascot, i believe it was made by someone who was actually of spanish descent. Jose Luis-Saveedra is the creator. Far different and less offensive than some white guys using a very racist stereotype of a black woman in slave times for their pancakes. 

Edited by Magus
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

"Old Aunt Jemima"  was written by a black minstrel performer named Billy Kersands in 1875.  I have never seen a reference to his having been a slave - so it is quite possible that he was never a slave since he was born in Baton Rouge around 1842. 

The song was performed by both black and white minstrel performers (usually in drag since they were playing as "Aunt Jemima").   Aunt Jemima became a iconic/stock figure in minstrel shows.   The connection to white minstrels is what likely led to the current state of affairs - which is somewhat sad because IMHO it overlooks the ties to the black minstrels. While Kersands often performed (he was primarily a physical comedian) to white stereotypes he generally slipped in bits and pieces of black culture that went over the heads of white audience members the black audience members were greatly amused.  In any event he was very successful -becoming (likely) the highest paid black performer of his times..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Strongly suspect that extra footage was just the LAPD saying "we know where you live"...

I would be far more concerned about the rioters "knowing where I live"!!!  No seriously, they pulled out and beat up a white truck driver who was totally innocent and had nothing to do with any of the situation.

As far as the Rayshard Brooks case, let's just say the DA most definetly did not make a good first impression in my eyes.  Saying initially the suspect "showed no threat to anybody"...are you kidding me??  Also why this piling on of 11 charges?  IIRC even the kneeling guy is only facing the murder 2 charge (which as I said before going for that instead of the easy open and shut manslaughter is very risky; remember to get a conviction the jury must be convinced it was murder 2 in the legal definition of the term)! 

My biggest fear is that it will turn out the officer (as i already said I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now) really did honest to goodness have to shoot the guy (why is the MSM mostly leaving out Rayshard's criminal record, including cruelty to children (so much for propping him up as some innocent model father!) and possible danger of going back to jail if arrested again?), the video/evidence will clearly show beyond all reasonable doubt the officer really did what he had to do...

And we're gonna see the burning of Atlanta version 2.0 anyway.

Edited by Estil

13 hours ago, Estil said:

Washington Redskins - You know what, Emmitt Smith gave you the perfect solution a few years back.  Just officially rename the team what most fans call it anyway, the Skins!  I mean the football is traditionally called the "pigskin" is it not?  As for what helmet/logo to use, how about replacing the current logo with the letter "W" or "S" (the S or the combination WS could be used as a shoutout/tribute to the old Washington Senators) the way its' done on the 1970-71 logo/helmet?  Same name, same colors, mostly same logo/helmet.  Their owner could've seriously saved himself a lot of unnecessary PR grief and gotten his new stadium by now.

Just change the logo to a red skin potato..   Problem solved. 

1 minute ago, 8bitdontquit said:

Just change the logo to a red skin potato..   Problem solved. 

In the famous words of Eric Cartman in that one Halloween episode: Whoever heard of a Potatoes football team, 8bitdontquit, that's hella stupid! 😄 

Sorry I couldn't resist...

49 minutes ago, Magus said:

Nope. It was made by 2 dudes who used a "mammy" as their mascot, which is what Aunt Jemima is. Then it was sold to quaker. 

Far different and less offensive than some white guys using a very racist stereotype of a black woman in slave times for their pancakes. 

19 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

"Old Aunt Jemima"  was written by a black minstrel performer named Billy Kersands in 1875.  I have never seen a reference to his having been a slave - so it is quite possible that he was never a slave since he was born in Baton Rouge around 1842. 

The song was performed by both black and white minstrel performers (usually in drag since they were playing as "Aunt Jemima").   Aunt Jemima became a iconic/stock figure in minstrel shows.   The connection to white minstrels is what likely led to the current state of affairs - which is somewhat sad because IMHO it overlooks the ties to the black minstrels. While Kersands often performed (he was primarily a physical comedian) to white stereotypes he generally slipped in bits and pieces of black culture that went over the heads of white audience members the black audience members were greatly amused.  In any event he was very successful -becoming (likely) the highest paid black performer of his times..

the info tabongo has is the same i was told.

17 minutes ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

the info tabongo has is the same i was told.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here? Maybe i am misunderstanding but you literally just said Aunt Jemima was a person who sold her recipe and got rich. Which is false. 

Tabonga mentioned the history of the song "Old Aunt Jemima" where exactly like i said, "2 dudes got the inspiration and made the character". He elaborated more on the history of where they got the inspiration from and the name, but Aunt Jemima was a Mammy. Which has a ton of negative racial history behind it. 

Edited by Magus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Magus said:

I am not sure what you are trying to say here? You literally just said Aunt Jemima was a person who sold her recipe and got rich. Which is false. 

Tabonga mentioned the history of the song "Old Aunt Jemima" where exactly like i said, 2 dudes got the inspiration and made the character. He elaborated more on the history. 

ya idk im only trying to understand the situation (why the mascot change). sinserley thanks you for the clarification. i didnt mean to say that as fact (about aunt jamimi being rich) and i apoligize for not making that clear. 

so was billy kersands one of the writers of the song? who was the other? 

On 6/16/2020 at 2:59 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I try to stick to video games on here, but I'll throw in a story less than a year old for anyone that wants to read it. I was sitting at a small bar across the river in northern Kentucky and two black guys walked in. I was the closest person to the door and they literally asked me "Is it okay for us to be in here"? I was taken off guard by the question at first. Then I realized why they were asking. I told them they were absolutely okay and ordered them both a beer to make them feel welcome. The fact that they felt like they even needed to ask if it was okay for them to walk into a bar because they were black is why this discussion needs to happen. Making any group of people feel like that is just wrong.

I see the point you're trying to get across, but did you ask them why they even asked that question? Did they just assume it was an "all-white" bar? Do those even exist?

To see the other side, how would you feel walking into a predominately black club or bar? I'm sure you'd feel the same way and you may not be so lucky to receive as warm as a welcome that you gave those fellas.  

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

2 big deal rulings out of the supreme court in a single week! This ruling surprises me more than the previous one, as what was at stake here was more the legality of Trump ending DACA rather than the morality of it. In the end, it appears that Roberts does not believe that Trump has executive authority here, although despite being largely conservative, he has had a tendency to favor executive restraint.

Well, what's done is done. Any change to DACA needs to be done through congress, which straight isn't going to happen with a democratic majority in the HOR.