Jump to content
IGNORED

Not mint Shantae CIB just went for over $2k


MiamiSlice
 Share

Recommended Posts

People seem to think it's as good as any Metroidvania / 2D Platformer, the music is great, the graphics are very good for a GBC title, etc. It's the Little Samson of GBC, was a late cycle release, most people slept on it because the GBA was already out and this one looked girly, probably a good amount of the copies that sold went to kids that didn't take good care of it too, but the character has survived the test of time, IP belongs to WayForward who have become indie dev darlings and this character has sequels (Risky's Revenge, Half Genie Hero, Pirate's Curse and soon will be coming out with Seven Sirens), also being that this title was the only one published by Capcom before WayForward went indie, it's very unlikely Capcom will ever re-release this game or that anyone else will be able to get at the IP.聽

This is easily my most wanted game and I've been saving up money for a bit hoping to be able to snag it CIB thinking it would still go for $1k~ish. Someone on here sold one on eBay for like $1500 last year after shopping it around here and that copy was in much better condition with the registration card... I'm kicking myself for not going for it then. If this is $2k plus at this point I think I'm priced out聽馃槩

Edit: also congrats on completing the game boy set!!!

Edited by MiamiSlice
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More than sealed prices not too long ago, and IIRC multiple sealed cases were even found recently. Getting to Little Samson prices for the sort of Little Samson of GBC in that it's hard to find, well liked, and well known even by people who don't know much about the console. I'd personally rather have the hypebeast NES game than a GBC game not even 20 years old though!

Looks like a really bad buy considering the condition TBH.聽The cart is even a little dirty. I only understand these crazy "FU at any price" bids for something in exceptional condition.聽Hopefully an outlier for you. 3 bidders over $2k though, crazy.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Looks like a really bad buy considering the condition TBH.聽The cart is even a little dirty. I only understand these crazy "FU at any price" bids for something in exceptional condition.聽Hopefully an outlier for you. 3 bidders over $2k though, crazy.

Yeah all I can say is that while this was bidding it was the only CIB copy on eBay and the first picture makes it look way better than it is. Hard to believe that people bidding over $2k wouldn't be looking through all the photos and evaluating these flaws though. I'd sooner believe someone(s) cornered the market on these and is inflating the price or something LOL聽
馃槄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

This makes no sense, the box is damaged, no registration card, what the heck???

E179E55A-C708-43C5-A641-C35A01DFF637.thumb.jpeg.3817976ec5f489b6642097661d3de9f2.jpeg

Also if anyone knows where I can get one of these CIB for like $1k... 馃槄

If it went way over value, expect a non-paying bidder and keep an eye out for it to get relisted. I just saw this happen with a copy of Finally Fantasy II last week. It was a beautiful copy, but went for almost twice the going rate for no clear reason. Now it's back up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

If it went way over value, expect a non-paying bidder and keep an eye out for it to get relisted. I just saw this happen with a copy of Finally Fantasy II last week. It was a beautiful copy, but went for almost twice the going rate for no clear reason. Now it's back up.

I was gonna say聽exactly this. Just because it sold doesn鈥檛 mean the buyer paid. People get hyped up in the bidding war

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I was gonna say聽exactly this. Just because it sold doesn鈥檛 mean the buyer paid. People get hyped up in the bidding war

Or maybe they do this on purpose so the other bidders don't get to win it and they get to try again in the next round!??

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted
8 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Or maybe they do this on purpose so the other bidders don't get to win it and they get to try again in the next round!??

I liked because that's my guess.聽 Sometimes I wonder if they let a shill bidder bump it and bump it and bump it, hoping that the next person to come around will feel like they have to pony up serious cash to get a game.

I've seen with some rare games, a game will go for one price (say $125) and then the subsequent auction will go for more ($150) that pops up shortly after the first.聽 However, given time, subsequent sales will fall back down into a reasonable range.聽 It's as if they are playing off of peoples emotions, hoping they'll think that "if it was bid that high, it must be worth it, so if I can get it at 95% that price, I got a deal!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted
20 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Or maybe they do this on purpose so the other bidders don't get to win it and they get to try again in the next round!??

Another possibility could be a bidder who already owns this game, bids to maximise the value, never intending to pay, and then later selling his copy for a similar amount.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 12:56 PM, DefaultGen said:

More than sealed prices not too long ago, and IIRC multiple sealed cases were even found recently. Getting to Little Samson prices for the sort of Little Samson of GBC in that it's hard to find, well liked, and well known even by people who don't know much about the console. I'd personally rather have the hypebeast NES game than a GBC game not even 20 years old though!

Looks like a really bad buy considering the condition TBH.聽The cart is even a little dirty. I only understand these crazy "FU at any price" bids for something in exceptional condition.聽Hopefully an outlier for you. 3 bidders over $2k though, crazy.

Wasn鈥檛 it just one sealed case from the Matt Bozon and half were signed.聽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Quite the hard one to get but still curiously enough this year in February I saw this sealed copy in the UK selling for 750拢 (which is lower than 1000$) on Ebay UK so eventually who knows if more less expensive copies will start聽appear.聽馃檪

87202650_10157967249322808_4400798030362574848_o.jpg

87245831_10157967249407808_7108160502533980160_o.jpg

Edited by Turiacus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 1:38 PM, MiamiSlice said:

We have a new all time high for a cart only Shantae 馃く

310E747B-DAA3-474E-8D07-A10E8DECD38F.thumb.jpeg.87246d12255928c6670497f9aa5e9a5d.jpeg

Saw this yesterday, can't say that I was surprised in the least. It is funny though, I could probably name at least 20 other GBC games that are rarer than Shantae, they aren't as "playable/fun" though, which does seemingly make a pretty significant difference. That said, watch the same thing happen to Wendy Every Witch Way. Both developed by Wayforward, both are about even on a rarity chart, and both are pretty darn fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Create New...