IGNORED

Not mint Shantae CIB just went for over $2k

MiamiSlice

10 minutes ago, Sir Centroid said:

Saw this yesterday, can't say that I was surprised in the least. It is funny though, I could probably name at least 20 other GBC games that are rarer than Shantae, they aren't as "playable/fun" though, which does seemingly make a pretty significant difference. That said, watch the same thing happen to Wendy Every Witch Way. Both developed by Wayforward, both are about even on a rarity chart, and both are pretty darn fun.

At least with Wendy there's both Euro and NA releases. Shantae is only NA =/ 

Just now, MiamiSlice said:

At least with Wendy there's both Euro and NA releases. Shantae is only NA =/ 

That is true, that's probably the only reason why this hasn't happened to Wendy yet. The only other Wayforward game on the GBC without a Euro release, is Sabrina Spooked!, but Dealtavern has over 240 sealed copies of it, so that won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 5:08 PM, Sir Centroid said:

That is true, that's probably the only reason why this hasn't happened to Wendy yet. The only other Wayforward game on the GBC without a Euro release, is Sabrina Spooked!, but Dealtavern has over 240 sealed copies of it, so that won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Not that I think 240 people on Earth will ever need Sabrina Spooked, I started buying crap like Dealtavern games I assumed would "always" be available, at least when I want them. I used to go to a couple ancient Atari distributors whenever I wanted some cheap Atari stuff because I just assume it's this infinite warehouse of unwanted games and lo and behold, some of the trendy stuff is getting bought out recently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Not that I think 240 people on Earth will ever need Sabrina Spooked, I started buying crap like Dealtavern games I assumed would "always" be available, at least when I want them. I used to go to a couple ancient Atari distributors whenever I wanted some cheap Atari stuff because I just assume it's this infinite warehouse of unwanted games and lo and behold, some of the trendy stuff is getting bought out recently.

Yeah, their stock isn't infinite, so it's always good to be cautious. I recall there being at least 7 or 8 sellers back around 7 years ago that all had multiple copies of Wendy Every Witch Way, and I know for a fact that at least one of them had around 35-40 copies, Clearly those dried up, so maybe in another 6-7 years, all of those copies of Sabrina Spooked could dry up as well. The same thing happened with the GBC games Rhino Rumble and Tower Lord Baniff's Deceit. Some seller from out of nowhere pushed 50+ sealed copies of both games into the market, maybe more, and yet somehow both games have mostly dried up again. It's amazing the impact a few years time can have on the available inventory.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on where the price of Shantae will go now that LRG will be doing an official reprint! I'm thinking it could see pre-pandemic pricing, back to $400 for loose and back to $900-$1k for complete, maybe back to $2k for sealed, but maybe it doesn't come back that far. 

34 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on where the price of Shantae will go now that LRG will be doing an official reprint! I'm thinking it could see pre-pandemic pricing, back to $400 for loose and back to $900-$1k for complete, maybe back to $2k for sealed, but maybe it doesn't come back that far. 

Not sure about loose but I doubt CIB will drop back to those levels. They have released a few Neo Geo AES games (that are on other consoles) And it’s done nothing to the price. I haven’t checked but what has happened on the Star Wars games they re-released?

At the end of the day it’s a repro and I don’t think it will appeal to someone who is a CIB collector. 

Edited by Mr. CIB

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Hard to say, people that don't want to buy an official cartridge and just play the game are already purchasing bootleg copies of the game, so I don't foresee this official reprint doing anything to impact that, especially since it'll likely just be considered a variant. More interesting than Shantae getting a reprint though, Xtreme Sports is also getting a GBC/Switch reprint/release! Which for those who don't know, is another Wayforward developed GBC game. Apparently the announcement has also lit a fire under some peoples butts, because Dealtavern just sold 4 copies of Xtreme Sports in less than 24 hours since the announcement. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xtreme-Sports-GBC-New-Game-Boy-Color/402310505481?epid=3492&hash=item5dab932409:g:zqUAAOSwvtFZvA17  Makes sense, the  cartridge alone has started selling for $15-20, so it was only a matter of time before people decided to throw down the extra money for a sealed copy that only costs twice as much as what people are spending on the cartridge. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Pretty soon here the entire Wayforward GBC sub-set is going to start costing people an arm and a leg to collect.

Shantae, Wendy Every WItch Way, Xtreme Sports, WWF Betrayal, Sabrina Zapped, Sabrina Spooked, and 4 out of 6 of them are already uncommon to find complete.

Edited by Sir Centroid

I would think it would have a larger impact on the cart only price since people wanting to buy it just to have it, or people buying it to actually play it won't have much issue buying the reprint.  However, I don't see the CIB pricing changing much since the only people really interested in that are the die hard collectors who want the original thing.  They may also be interested in the reprint, but I would only see them buying the reprint as an odd collectible, not as a replacement for the original in their collection.  

• Like 2

Appreciate everyone sharing their views. I'm probably wrong, but I'll share my reasoning anyway: 

1. I think the value proposition for Shantae was partly based on the assumption that the licensing was locked up with Capcom and Capcom is not likely to re-release a game from their back catalog (the same applies to Gotcha Force, the Mega Man Legends Series & Tron Bonne, etc.). It was VERY unexpected when Capcom announced that the Mega Man Zero / ZX games would be re-released on Switch. Now people are speculating that they might bring the Mega Man Battle Network games forward but even that still feels like a pipe dream. Shantae did get a digital re-release on 3DS eShop but it's like Earthbound, just because it gets a digital release doesn't mean it will get a physical re-release. And the 3DS eShop version has some issues (bad button mapping, apparently doesn't have the GBA enhancements). 

2. I see video game collectors as falling into 3 groups: 

A) People who collect for the sake of collecting, either for full sets, showing off or because "price go up"

B) People who refuse to pirate or buy digital, they want the physical game to play 

C) People who just want to own the game physically even though they may not fall into the previous groups <- I'm here

Group A obviously cares about the original print, their demand doesn't change just because a reprint comes along. So it's like when Mega Man X got an official reprint from iam8bit... none of them are busting down the doors at Best Buy to snag it even after all this time (it's selling so poorly that Best Buy recently dropped the price from $100 to $85). But they know the price is affected by the aggregate demand across the 3 groups. So having an official reprint of Shantae that is going to be much cheaper than what Shantae goes for could change that dynamic. 

Group B and C seem to be the groups that would most likely prefer the reprint just because it's cheaper and it's official. This is probably going to be the most expensive collectible game to be getting an official reprint. If the price ends up being $60 that's a massive difference. I'll definitely be buying it, snapping a picture of my set and bragging about how I have a "complete" Shantae collection. I bet others will too. 

Anyway, does anyone want to sell me a complete copy of Xtreme Sports???

Also, wake me up when Mickey's Ultimate Challenge goes up in value... 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is the highest sale on eBay so far for a CIB Pokemon Yellow. Granted it’s in very good condition but wow. This game is not rare at all.

9FCE16CA-83E0-434E-8DAD-F9B184314043.jpeg

Well, maybe it's time to lets mine go. It's not as nice as this one, but dang.

I'm not a big Pokémon guy, but didn't prices double or triple in Pokémon Go phase? I want to say maybe like 60 to 70 CIB then 150 to 200 almost overnight? Maybe 3 years ago? Then cooled off back to 100 to 150 range but never the lows of before.

Fast forward to now with CIB grading being a thing, Mint CIBs will always command a significant premium over worn. That looks like a nice copy so it'll get a price bump at auction.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:49 AM, RH said:

So, why is this game so hot?  I owned it once.  Wish I hadn't sold it, but when I played it, it didn't seem THAT great.

Same here, around the first year I was on NA when I was out west I got it off a flea market table for $5.  I held onto it about a year, tried it a few times from scratch to try again and again to get into it and I never did for long as it felt kind of crude and disjointed, good, like ok good but not great.  It has come a long way since then though to far better things.

Just be happy knowing it'll get reissued for a more realistic cheap handheld game price (this year I think.)

On 7/1/2020 at 4:49 PM, Sir Centroid said:

That said, watch the same thing happen to Wendy Every Witch Way. Both developed by Wayforward, both are about even on a rarity chart, and both are pretty darn fun.

Good point.  I have that one, damn that is a fantastic game, a cute under the radar version of basically Metal Storm for GBC gameplay mechanics wise at least with the gravity tricks.  I'm shocked that thing gets so little value compared to Shantae.

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

I think this is the highest sale on eBay so far for a CIB Pokemon Yellow. Granted it’s in very good condition but wow. This game is not rare at all.

(removed $325 image of pokemon yellow complete)

You think that's insane?  Try this on for size, the super common Pokemon Red Version (NEW)  Makes me really glad I found one of these for $100 about a year and a half ago locally and stomaching that price bothered me but I did it. 🙂  Complete, same ballpark value as yellow.

image.thumb.png.58f4a34c171badcf96c5059e0971475f.png

• Wow! 1

Goodness gracious. I just can't explain it any way other than people are really this dumb. 

I got in an argument with a couple people in a Facebook group because I said NCAA Football 2014 isn't rare. They just didn't get it. I kept trying to explain that regardless what price it goes for, the fact that people keep finding it and there's a sale post for the game almost daily in every group means IT'S NOT RARE, besides the fact IT'S A SPORTS GAME THEY ALWAYS PRINT A LOT OF THEM. But nope, they just kept insisting it's somehow rare. Sigh. 

On 2/10/2020 at 12:56 PM, DefaultGen said:

More than sealed prices not too long ago, and IIRC multiple sealed cases were even found recently. Getting to Little Samson prices for the sort of Little Samson of GBC in that it's hard to find, well liked, and well known even by people who don't know much about the console. I'd personally rather have the hypebeast NES game than a GBC game not even 20 years old though!

Looks like a really bad buy considering the condition TBH. The cart is even a little dirty. I only understand these crazy "FU at any price" bids for something in exceptional condition. Hopefully an outlier for you. 3 bidders over $2k though, crazy.

I know this is an old post, but is there any documentation on these cases being found?

6 minutes ago, yellowgameboycolor said:

I know this is an old post, but is there any documentation on these cases being found?

Looks like it was just one case unless I'm misremembering what I was talking about and the developers signed them. If there was more I don't remember.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Boy-Color-Shantae-Game-NIB-Authentic-Sealed-RARE-MINT-Signed-/201829742059?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l44720.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

Looks like it was just one case unless I'm misremembering what I was talking about and the developers signed them. If there was more I don't remember.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Boy-Color-Shantae-Game-NIB-Authentic-Sealed-RARE-MINT-Signed-/201829742059?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l44720.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Oh my lord I missed out.

15 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

Idk it seems to be newer collectors that are paying these insane amounts. A lot of buyers just don't have the patience to wait for a lower price or search through yard sales. If you've been in the hobby for years you're probably more likely to wait for prices to drop back down and you might already own the game anyway. From what I've seen it isn't the really rare titles going up, it's the most well-known titles. More people know the name Shantae than Wendy Every Witch Way.

What the hell Wendy Every Witch Way is skyrocketing too? I used to have like 3 copies of those and got rid of them for $15 each years ago...

59 minutes ago, yellowgameboycolor said:

What the hell Wendy Every Witch Way is skyrocketing too? I used to have like 3 copies of those and got rid of them for $15 each years ago...

A brand new copy sold for $500+ iirc, and a minty complete copy sold for $300. And those were just BINs, so it's hard to say what they might have went for if they had been auctions. I still remember when brand new copies for only $40-50, it stings a bit knowing I missed out on that pricing.

Edited by Sir Centroid

35 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

Wendy Every Witch Way went up $20 because of COVID. Shantae went up over $100. Maybe Wendy Every Way was a bad example because it's also fairly well known, but my point was that the titles shooting up right now aren't the rarest games on the system, they're the most popular.

I concur 100%. A lot of the price spikes are driven by noob buyers who just BIN or pay any price to get a game and they follow YouTubers and that’s where they get their picks. MetalJesusRocks says some game is a “gem” and suddenly the volume of sales on that game skyrockets. These buyers also hunt down a series any time a sequel is announced so that’s how you had Paper Mario and Animal Crossing doubling in value almost overnight. Shantae has had multiple sequels on PS4/Switch. Wendy hasn’t.