IGNORED

Capcom vs Konami - gaming vs collecting

GPX

Battle of the Titans : Cap vs Kon!  

36 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only choose 1, which is your preferred company for gaming?

• Capcom
    • Konami
  2. 2. If you could only choose 1, which is your preferred company to collect?

• Capcom
    • Konami

Without a doubt, back in the 80s through to the 90s, two of the biggest third party developers were Capcom and Konami. They had a phenomenal strike rate of quality titles across the early platforms in the NES, SNES, Genesis/Megadrive, PS1, N64.

I think it’s a worthy discussion to see what you guys think are the best games/franchise from these particular companies. I also think it might be interesting to do a poll to find out which company is the more popular among VGS members. 

Some quality titles that come to mind:

Capcom - Streetfighter series, Ghouls n Ghosts series, MegaMan series, Mickey’s Quest series, Final Fight series.

Konami - Ninja Turtles series, Castlevania series, Contra series, Parodius/Gradius series, Mystical Ninja (Goemon) series.

Which would be your preferred company for either gaming or collecting? What’s the most obscure title you own from these 2 legendary companies? Other comments welcome!

Konami has a top game in just about every single genre, Castlevania 1/3 and SOTN-style games, Contra, Beatmania IIDX, Turtles in Time, Salamander, Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Silent Hill, Track & Field. It's a shame they've kind of fallen off so hard in recent years. I'd give them the edge over Capcom.

I tend to think of beat 'em ups, fighters, and platformers when I think of Capcom's best, and platformers is the only genre I really love of those. Not that there aren't a billion great Capcom games too.

Edited by DefaultGen

I love this question and try to ask it whenever I can.  I've basically settled on Konami for PS1 and earlier, then Capcom afterwards.  Can't go wrong either way though and don't forget about all the arcade offerings that never made it to home consoles.   But if I had to choose one for playing........Capcom.

I can't choose. Both companies used to be giants, on the forefront of video games, and kings of the arcade. These are the companies that shaped video games through the 80s and 90s.

At this time, Capcom probably wins out due to actually being on a bit of a rebound, and releasing interesting games again, while Konami is just doing crappy abuse of their IPs. But looking at the ages that actually mattered for these two, I just can't possibly pick a favourite. As much as I love Castlevania and Contra, I probably love Mega Man and Ghouls n Ghosts at least as much. Even looking at my arcade collection, both companies probably take up a similar amount of space, both representing the top #1 and #2, closely followed by Taito and SNK.

Besides, I'm not sure what the difference in "for gaming" and "to collect" means in the poll? Why'd you be interested in collecting games you aren't interested in playing?

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Konami gave me Zombies ate my neighbors. Can't vote against that.

Well. LucasArts game you Zombies Ate My Neighbors:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/zombies-ate-my-neighbors/credits

Though publishing roles definitely do matter, for both Konami and Capcom I feel like their in-house products is what makes the difference.

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Well. LucasArts game you Zombies Ate My Neighbors:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/zombies-ate-my-neighbors/credits

Though publishing roles definitely do matter, for both Konami and Capcom I feel like their in-house products is what makes the difference.

Of course it's a Lucas arts game. But you turn it on. You get the Konami logo and you get the special feeling right in the special bits 

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

I can't choose. Both companies used to be giants, on the forefront of video games, and kings of the arcade. These are the companies that shaped video games through the 80s and 90s.

At this time, Capcom probably wins out due to actually being on a bit of a rebound, and releasing interesting games again, while Konami is just doing crappy abuse of their IPs. But looking at the ages that actually mattered for these two, I just can't possibly pick a favourite. As much as I love Castlevania and Contra, I probably love Mega Man and Ghouls n Ghosts at least as much. Even looking at my arcade collection, both companies probably take up a similar amount of space, both representing the top #1 and #2, closely followed by Taito and SNK.

Besides, I'm not sure what the difference in "for gaming" and "to collect" means in the poll? Why'd you be interested in collecting games you aren't interested in playing?

“Playing” refers to purely the gameplay aspect - period when you’re holding the controller when the console is on and the cart/disc is having intimacy with the console.

”Collecting” refers to other aspects about the game other than the gameplay. For instance, if you’re buying the game and discussing about its mint condition or rarity status, then that is the collector in you speaking. Because if you think about it, if you’re buying to simply play, why would it matter how rare the game or how pretty the box is?

Being honest.....

I would choose neither capcom nor konami.

They have great games, but the way they treated the people who got them to where they are is ludicrous.

I'd sooner choose Squeenix, or Atlus.

(also I don't know when I played or collected a non-capcom or non-castlevania konami game recently)

Edited by kuriatsu