IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

So it comes with one of those 8bitdo's in the box?  I like the horizontal double button that they are showing.  Not the old diamond formation one they had in the past.  So I want to make sure that's the controller I am getting.  I pre-ordered because even if I change my mind I know I can easily get all my money back selling it.

Edited by ErickRPG

6 minutes ago, ErickRPG said:

maybe, but even so if you don't get it now.  You'll be paying 30% over the selling price later, if you don't buy it now.  That's why I jumped on it.  I've already started playing 7th saga on my Super NT and am in love with it.  I must collect all of these FPGas!!!

I bought one quick also. Just, not sure how many people are going to want it, with NES declining in popularity. It's expensive enough where some people that cannot afford it now may want it later. I am just starting to thing about how the classic consoles sold. First run - everyone still wanted one. Second run - Some people still wanted one. Third run - Alright we're saturated. But it is hard to say without knowing the scale of their manufacturing.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

well at the very worst if they ever do make a simpler NES you can probably get your cost selling it used.  But since I am fully on board these FPGa for older systems (rather than spending 1000s on games) I can't let this pass me by.  I already have snes, genesis, and Sega CD.  Gonna get GBA and now NES.  Let's not forget PC Engine Super System 3 when it restocks.  It's expensive to start, but it has taken away my constant mental battles I've been having of (oh I want those on my shelf but damn they're super expensive, how much will repairs cost, when will the saves stop working?).  I can actually start enjoying these older games instead of fantasizing about buying large aging collections for my shelves.  I have as far back as PS1 games on my shelf, and now that's as far back as I feel I need to go thanks to these!!

Edited by ErickRPG

21 minutes ago, Californication said:

I think they are going to make a big run, that's why they didn't announce the number available. 

We can get a decent estimate by sharing order numbers, but that should probably only be done by PM to avoid phishing attempts. If I order another one tomorrow, I can compare with myself. Just want to make sure I give people a chance to get one first.

• Thanks 1

Homebrew Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'm gonna sell my AVS and PowerPak to recoup a chunk of the cost.

Just in case you didn't know or if this matters to you, the NT Mini in jailbreak mode does not have a save states feature.  If that matters, keep your powerpak.  

Wait, does the powerpak have save states or is that everdrive only?

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Deadeye said:

Just in case you didn't know or if this matters to you, the NT Mini in jailbreak mode does not have a save states feature.  If that matters, keep your powerpak.  

Wait, does the powerpak have save states or is that everdrive only?

I'm aware; I only use it for quick pick up and play sessions, and for the VGS contests. Any longer games that require saves, which I would play, I already own. 🙂

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I'm aware; I only use it for quick pick up and play sessions, and for the VGS contests. Any longer games that require saves, which I would play, I already own. 🙂

"Battery" saves in jailbreak it does do, just not the "emulator style" save states.

This is a weird question, I'm sure, but is there anything illegal about a jailbroken Nt?  Like, having CopyNES on there, or whatever it is that's used to dump ROM's?  I am assuming that all of the programming is Kevtris' original work, but I don't know if some of the functionality is considered a no-no.  I don't know enough about this stuff to really understand the legal ins-and-outs.  I am presuming the Nt itself is totally legit (i.e. no copied code or whatever like Tengen did back in the day).

Homebrew Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, epiclotus said:

This is a weird question, I'm sure, but is there anything illegal about a jailbroken Nt?  Like, having CopyNES on there, or whatever it is that's used to dump ROM's?  I am assuming that all of the programming is Kevtris' original work, but I don't know if some of the functionality is considered a no-no.  I don't know enough about this stuff to really understand the legal ins-and-outs.  I am presuming the Nt itself is totally legit (i.e. no copied code or whatever like Tengen did back in the day).

Nothing illegal on its own.  Kevtris did all the work on FPGA himself and reverse engineered all the chips.  Nothing was stolen and all these systems are past the patent dates.  Some bios files he reversed engineered.  Others you would need to supply to take advantage of the core.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Nothing illegal on its own.  Kevtris did all the work on FPGA himself and reverse engineered all the chips.  Nothing was stolen and all these systems are past the patent dates.  Some bios files he reversed engineered.  Others you would need to supply to take advantage of the core.

Thank you for answering this.  I have OCD, and can't buy stuff with any illegal things in them.  Is there a list of the cores he's programmed himself versus ones you'd have to copy a BIOS for?  I don't plan to use it for anything but legitimate homebrew ROM's, but I'm hoping to not have to wade through 600 pages on the AtariAge forums to get my brain's hangups sorted out. 

Edited by epiclotus

27 minutes ago, epiclotus said:

There is still ongoing debate about whether it is fair use under the DMCA to strip copy protection with things like DVDs and Blu-ray. I don't understand how the copy protection works on NES carts so I'm not sure about the legality of dumping ROMs. That being said, every ROM has already been dumped and I don't think anyone cares if you dump them again.

But besides that, everything is as legit as can be.

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted
7 hours ago, epiclotus said:

Thank you for answering this.  I have OCD, and can't buy stuff with any illegal things in them.  Is there a list of the cores he's programmed himself versus ones you'd have to copy a BIOS for?  I don't plan to use it for anything but legitimate homebrew ROM's, but I'm hoping to not have to wade through 600 pages on the AtariAge forums to get my brain's hangups sorted out. 

When you download the jailbreak, there is a readme file that goes over what you need.  It points to the bios folder, which has its own readme with instructions.  This is what the file says:

"The following BIOSes are needed as of this revision:

SMS:
----
smsbios.bin   - this is the default BIOS (i.e. US version)
smsbios2.bin  - the second SMS BIOS (I use the japanese one here)
smsbios3.bin  - a 3rd BIOS
smsbios4.bin  - and a 4th one.

You really only need smsbios.bin but I suggest putting the US and Japanese versions on here
so you can switch if there's a game that needs one or the other.

Game Gear:
----------
ggbios.bin    - This BIOS is not needed, but if you want to see that blue and white splash screen,
               you can put it here.

Coleco:
-------
colbios.bin   - This is the default Coleco BIOS.  I put the stock BIOS here.
colbios2.bin  - A secondary BIOS.  I put a BIOS with the "press a button to skip delay" one here.
colbios3.bin  - I have the Bit Corp Dina system BIOS here.

As before, you only need colbios.bin if you only want to use one BIOS.  The others are there
in case you want to change it on the fly.

Atari 2600:
-----------
scbios.bin    - Supercharger BIOS (2K)
avoxrom.bin   - Atarivox PIC ROM (8K bytes, little endian)
avoxee.bin    - Atarivox PIC EEPROM (256 bytes)

Gamate:
-------
gmbios.bin    - The first BIOS (i.e. UMC version)
gmbios2.bin   - Optional second BIOS (i.e. Bit Corp version)

Gameking:
---------
gkbios.bin    - Game King BIOS (sometimes named gm218.bin)

Atari 7800:
-----------
7800bios.bin  - 7800 BIOS (US version) 4K.

Channel F:
----------
cfbios.bin    - Channel F BIOS (2K bytes).

Odyssey^2:
----------
o2bios.bin    - Main 8048 BIOS (1K byte)
019.bin       - Speech ROM in the SP0256-019 speech chip (2K bytes)
sp128_03.bin  - Speech ROM resident in the speech module (16K bytes)
sp128_04.bin  - Speech ROM in Sid the Spellbinder (16K bytes)"

This is a list of the cores.  One not mentioned above, he either reversed the bios or it does not need one:

Adventurevision core

Arcadia 2001 core

Atari 2600 core

Atari 7800 core

Channel F core

Coleco core

Creativision core

Gamate core

GB and GBC cores

Game King core

Game Gear core

NES / Famicom Core

Odyssey^2 core

RCA Studio 2 core

Supervision core

SMS core

SG-1000 core

Videobrain core

The heavy hitters that you are safe with- NES and Gameboy.

Edited by Deadeye
  • Thanks 1