IGNORED

Ranks & Badges Discussion Thread

Gloves

34 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Just buy the game bro.

First of all, you need a comma between 'game' and 'bro,' or else I'm going to think you want me to buy a device called the "Game Bro," and I don't know what that is... 😛

And secondly, whenever the day does arrive that I decide to pull the trigger on a Magical Chase, you guys will be among the first to know... 😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

First of all, you need a comma between 'game' and 'bro,' or else I'm going to think you want me to buy a device called the "Game Bro," and I don't know what that is... 😛

And secondly, whenever the day does arrive that I decide to pull the trigger on a Magical Chase, you guys will be among the first to know... 😉

I should have known to add the comma considering my favorite joke is one from Reader's Digest I read as a kid; this guy goes into the butchery and asks "Got any beef, jerky?" and gets kicked out of the store.

And I'll look forward to your post when you finally pull that trigger, make sure to @ me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So while im still working on my n64 and gamegear charms I decided to take a break and finally collect my favorite gaming series that got me into games, Mega Man.  That got me wondering if there was a charm for that collection?  Sadly I didn’t see one, so I thought would it be a good idea to have one or more?  Now im not entirely sure what would qualify and what different charms we could have but here are some thoughts 

1) mega man OG (original gangster) lol - mega man 1 -8

2) mega man GB - all the gameboy titles

3) mega man x - 1-8

4) mega man z - all those titles

5) mega man all - anything mega man title on any console except the God aweful MSDOS ones

thoughts?

On 6/10/2022 at 3:07 PM, a3quit4s said:

I am once again asking for a complete NES badge minus stadium events. I think I’m due for 2022. 

it can even be an icon with stadium events crossed out like a no smoking sign. 

That's a slippery slope...  Licensed only?  Unlicensed?  Publisher variants?  I'm probably going to end up with a "Complete minus SE" NES set myself within a year or two, but I personally don't think it should count unless you have the unlicensed stuff and publisher variants as well (both Temple of Dooms, for example)...

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 4:07 PM, a3quit4s said:

I am once again asking for a complete NES badge minus stadium events. I think I’m due for 2022. 

it can even be an icon with stadium events crossed out like a no smoking sign. 

If we are getting that, I want a badge for a full PS1 set minus the games I don't want to buy.

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2022 at 1:12 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

That's a slippery slope...  Licensed only?  Unlicensed?  Publisher variants?  I'm probably going to end up with a "Complete minus SE" NES set myself within a year or two, but I personally don't think it should count unless you have the unlicensed stuff and publisher variants as well (both Temple of Dooms, for example)...

The set of achievements that these seem to be primarily based on included awards for both the licensed as well as unlicensed sets.  And, so far as I'm aware, both Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade versions (what I believe you meant to refer to) have always been included in the licensed NES list.  Temple of Doom is actually the same game twice, but one is licensed and published by Mindscape, while the other is unlicensed and published by Tengen.  You'd only have to have both if you went for both the licensed and unlicensed badges.

I still believe that building the full set minus Stadium Events should be a celebrated achievement, as literally the only difference past a certain point is either spending thousands of dollars on a single game or virtually hitting the lottery and catching someone slipping at the flea market/thrift store/estate sale/etc.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I still believe that building the full set minus Stadium Events should be a celebrated achievement, as literally the only difference past a certain point is either spending thousands of dollars on a single game or virtually hitting the lottery and catching someone slipping at the flea market/thrift store/estate sale/etc.

I agree with you in principle, but the problem is that many/most complete sets will have that "one game" that's comparatively super expensive.  Are we going to have a "Turbografx minus Magical Chase" charm?  Should we have a "This set minus the most expensive game" for every console?  I hope you see my point: as soon as you start making exceptions, it's tough to rationalize where you should draw the line.  Yeah, it sucks that you need SE to have a complete NES set, but whoever said that life was going to be fair......

• 3 months later...
On 6/17/2022 at 11:59 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I agree with you in principle, but the problem is that many/most complete sets will have that "one game" that's comparatively super expensive.  Are we going to have a "Turbografx minus Magical Chase" charm?  Should we have a "This set minus the most expensive game" for every console?  I hope you see my point: as soon as you start making exceptions, it's tough to rationalize where you should draw the line.  Yeah, it sucks that you need SE to have a complete NES set, but whoever said that life was going to be fair......

Necrobump but yes, every game that costs over $30,000 loose should be excluded from a full set requirement, how many systems have that qualification?

I’m not even trying to take away from people that have the over X amount games. I’d happily try to make pixel art for them so they can celebrate that achievement!

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Necrobump but yes, every game that costs over $30,000 loose should be excluded from a full set requirement, how many systems have that qualification?

I’m not even trying to take away from people that have the over X amount games. I’d happily try to make pixel art for them so they can celebrate that achievement!

Agreed.  Any set that basically requires normal, average working folk to become literal or figurative lottery winners (hitting the lotto to get a ton of money to buy said game, or stumbling across it at a yard sale for ridiculously cheap) shouldn't be a thing at all.  Or of it is, make the icon a friggin' gold bar with the logo of the system on it, because that's really all it is at that point--a rich kid's club, where only the people who can write a big check can join, versus any old group of people who actually put in the time and effort to collect the other 99.99% of the set.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Agreed.  Any set that basically requires normal, average working folk to become literal or figurative lottery winners (hitting the lotto to get a ton of money to buy said game, or stumbling across it at a yard sale for ridiculously cheap) shouldn't be a thing at all.  Or of it is, make the icon a friggin' gold bar with the logo of the system on it, because that's really all it is at that point--a rich kid's club, where only the people who can write a big check can join, versus any old group of people who actually put in the time and effort to collect the other 99.99% of the set.

I usually defend the the complete NES set minus SE as a half joke half serious since it really does and doesn’t matter to me. 2 points I’d make though; even the old cranky gate keeping folks at NA recognized the set minus SE, I know this isn’t NA and it’s much better, but some of what they did was good. Second, my least favorite argument, no offense meant at all at Dr. Morbis because he isn’t the first to say it, is that if we make this exception then where does it end? I feel like the site should always consider what people are asking and if it makes sense to a reasonable group of people then a change should be made. We have a guide that clearly explains what the charms are for. NES minus SE? You can literally buy every single other game in the 697 set with just the cost of SE. I can’t think of any other system that this is true. Someone else is free to correct me here since there are plenty of other experts here. 

• Like 1

I’ve said it before SE is probably the easiest one to fudge.  If you own The NES pack-in game, you own a re-branded Stadium Event.

Now, I don’t consider an NES set complete without SE, but that’s based off of my opinion on what makes a complete set.  I’m also, however, not opposed to people calling owning every game (regardless of variant or serial number ID), which could eliminate the need for a $35k-50k game.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think there’s another console with this scenario where essentially a glorified variant is the rarest and most expensive title that can be replaced by another version.

Do I support the new charm? Eh, I’m on the fense but I’m legit not opposed or offended.  But I wouldn’t support the notion of all sets having a “-1”.  This is specific to NES/SE since SE was bought and repackaged by Nintendo.  It’s the same game with a changed title card and maybe other, very minor revisions.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
23 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Funny you bring this up because I do believe we have a solution that goes in line with what you are saying.  But I'm not sure if I'm suppose to make that known.   Actually....

Penguin Oops GIF

• Wow! 1

Social Team · Posted
12 hours ago, twiztor said:

if we ever create game series specific charms, it might motivate me to take pics of my collection. i can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

You won't need your camera for individual games but you'll need it for something else..... 

giphy.gif

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/8/2022 at 5:58 AM, a3quit4s said:

NES minus SE? You can literally buy every single other game in the 697 set with just the cost of SE

See, here's the problem right there: we can't even agree on what makes a complete NES set.  697?!?  Is that your licensed number?  And if so, why are you suddenly forgetting the unlicensed games?  If you're arguing for a "Licensed minus SE" badge then that should be made clear as well, since many will assume that a complete set minus SE is in the high 700's, not 697 (though I'm thinking you meant 677?).  Just saying... 😉

• Like 1