IGNORED

Ranks & Badges Discussion Thread

Gloves

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

Thing is, he replied to a post about having a charm for people with the full NES set minus SE, and it was long before charms got disabled, so I'm not seeing the connection there.  How would a new charms system "solve" the problem with SE, unless there's some additional plans regarding the charm(s) for said set?

Oh.

Well, for one, the plan to move to the new system was in discussions prior to the charms being removed; the two are actually unrelated and coincidentally timed.

Aside, there were plans to change and/or add new charms, which likely included something about the NES set charm, or something. I forget!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Thing is, he replied to a post about having a charm for people with the full NES set minus SE, and it was long before charms got disabled, so I'm not seeing the connection there.  How would a new charms system "solve" the problem with SE, unless there's some additional plans regarding the charm(s) for said set?

Following with interest for the answer lol

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Oh that's quite a shame, probably a harder set to complete than many.

There's a fine balance between adding things that people will/won't go for, and putting in the effort involved for often literally one person to have a badge which is entirely unique to just them.

Like, I'd never make a charm for "Golden Wii Owner".

48 minutes ago, Gloves said:

There's a fine balance between adding things that people will/won't go for, and putting in the effort involved for often literally one person to have a badge which is entirely unique to just them.

Like, I'd never make a charm for "Golden Wii Owner".

Well that would be different than an A'can set, which contrary to some beliefs is actually a machine for which many westerners collect. In reality, I speculate that there is probably more (known) A'can software abroad than still on the island, in terms of what has been discovered and is sitting in collector hands.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Well that would be different than an A'can set, which contrary to some beliefs is actually a machine for which many westerners collect. In reality, I speculate that there is probably more (known) A'can software abroad than still on the island, in terms of what has been discovered and is sitting in collector hands.

Of course it's different, it was an extreme example to get the point across.

The point being, I'd welcome anyone who has a complete set per your guidelines on what that means to "like" this post, and I'll be surprised if anyone does so, if not literally just you.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

I, like Gloves, remain skeptical of this.  Especially when, having to Google what exactly it was, read this as the first line in its Wikipedia article:  "The Super A'can is a home video game console released exclusively in Taiwan in 1995 by Funtech/Dunhuang Technology."  Unless "many" suddenly came to mean less than a dozen, I'm going to have to disagree with you here until "many" more collectors get put on the board.

• Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

I, like Gloves, remain skeptical of this.  Especially when, having to Google what exactly it was, read this as the first line in its Wikipedia article:  "The Super A'can is a home video game console released exclusively in Taiwan in 1995 by Funtech/Dunhuang Technology."  Unless "many" suddenly came to mean less than a dozen, I'm going to have to disagree with you here until "many" more collectors get put on the board.

A quick ebay search yields Super A'can games being sold (from western collectors / resellers) to western collectors from the United Kingdom and Spain. I don't know who the UK guy is but I do know the Spanish guy, known him for years all the way back in 2012 or so. There's a guy in Taiwan that sells A'can stuff on ebay sometimes too, and he's actually a Canadian reseller.

@DarkKobold collects (ed?) Super A'can stuff, and I know several others who do / did as well. It's huge in the west amongst niche machines collectors, and the prices for which the software sells demonstrates that. If I were the only western guy collecting these, they wouldn't be priced at mid three figures a cart, being sold by western folks from around the globe.

Sorry, you're wrong. 

4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

A quick ebay search yields Super A'can games being sold (from western collectors / resellers) to western collectors from the United Kingdom and Spain. I don't know who the UK guy is but I do know the Spanish guy, known him for years all the way back in 2012 or so. There's a guy in Taiwan that sells A'can stuff on ebay sometimes too, and he's actually a Canadian reseller.

@DarkKobold collects (ed?) Super A'can stuff, and I know several others who do / did as well. It's huge in the west amongst niche machines collectors, and the prices for which the software sells demonstrates that. If I were the only western guy collecting these, they wouldn't be priced at mid three figures a cart, being sold by western folks from around the globe.

Sorry, you're wrong. 

So, you're saying that it would be crowded if I brought my sedan to pick up all the collectors, but my minivan should keep everybody comfy.  Got it.

4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Being uninformed on something doesn't somehow turn you into an expert.

Who said I was an expert?  Certainly not me.  Just pointing out what Wikipedia said, that it was a console that was exclusively released in Taiwan in 1995.  If that's not a recipe for the vast majority of Westerners not knowing about something, I don't know what is.  If I saw some of that stuff randomly on a shelf in my local game store for a cheap price, I'd probably buy it out of curiosity, but that certainly wouldn't make me a collector of that specific system.

All you really seem to be saying is that, much like the sealed and graded collecting community, a small number of relatively unknown collectors are willing to pay through the nose for a fairly rare but also relatively unknown system and its games.  That's doesn't make it any more well known than it was before Gloves shut you down on a potential charm for the system, regardless of how willing those few folks who are into the system are to part with far too much of their money.

Also, were these responses from Dave, the normal guy, fcgamer the character, or one or the other pulling the other one's strings?  Only The Shadow knows...

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

So, you're saying that it would be crowded if I brought my sedan to pick up all the collectors, but my minivan should keep everybody comfy.  Got it.

Who said I was an expert?  Certainly not me.  Just pointing out what Wikipedia said, that it was a console that was exclusively released in Taiwan in 1995.  If that's not a recipe for the vast majority of Westerners not knowing about something, I don't know what is.  If I saw some of that stuff randomly on a shelf in my local game store for a cheap price, I'd probably buy it out of curiosity, but that certainly wouldn't make me a collector of that specific system.

All you really seem to be saying is that, much like the sealed and graded collecting community, a small number of relatively unknown collectors are willing to pay through the nose for a fairly rare but also relatively unknown system and its games.  That's doesn't make it any more well known than it was before Gloves shut you down on a potential charm for the system, regardless of how willing those few folks who are into the system are to part with far too much of their money.

I don't think you were a Digital Press guy, and that would explain a lot!

This is taken from 2006, written by an article written by an American gamer / collector / researcher:

In an early post from January 11, he mentions that the machine is virtually unheard of in the west:

Taipei Gamer: Super A'Can

The post from April is a bit more interesting though, after the guy obtains an A'can machine himself:

Taipei Gamer: Super A'Can in Da House!

One person comments that it is shown off yearly at Midwest Gaming Classic convention. 

Even a large portion of the (older) articles about the A'can are written in English, the videos about the machine done on YouTube by westerners, etc. Is it not a bit strange that there are more A'can games being sold currently online by sellers that are situated in countries around the globe that are not Taiwan, than actually being sold in Taiwan itself? You don't find that strange at all, even a slight bit?

Everyone who has owned one of these has always said the same thing, namely the consoles themselves aren't too difficulty to find, but that finding any software for the machine is a huge undertaking.

With only twelve games having been known to exist (the eleven CIB games, and then the twelfth which many consider to have gone unreleased, with a few sample copies leaked out), people who own the console are likely to try to obtain a full set much in the same way that Virtual Boy owners might (or anyone who owns another machine with little software). It's not necessarily about getting a full set, rather about having software to play on the machine, allowing one to explore the machine and its library. I'd reckon Casio Loopy collectors would feel the same way, too - at least I do, and I'm not even a hardcore Loopy collector, just a guy that happens to own one, but would like to explore the machine further.

So why you're trying to be a bit degrading or dismissive towards the whole thing, you've completely missed the mark, and even your comparison to fart-sniffing sealed guys falls flat, since the guys going after A'can sets can't just be grouped together easily into one set group like sealed collectors can (i.e. investors, for example). You've got gaming historians, sixteen bit fans, bootleg fans, old time collectors, even those with historic ties to the island of Taiwan all interested in the machine for various reasons, and that's not even considering other diversity amongst those that would be collecting the machine, either.

a'can.png

Administrator · Posted
19 minutes ago, twiztor said:

nobody is doubting that there are Western collectors of the system. Just that there's not many of them HERE, so a charm for it would only apply to one or two people, and thus is not worth the effort to implement. 

Thus far zero likes on my post asking for a like if someone is eligible for that charm, so... 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

While though I agree with you that the Super A'can isn't super well known in the West, I would like to point out that it might not be as unknown as you suggest. The guy who runs Super Fighter Team collects A'can stuff, and even re-released one of the titles for it in the West. Here is a Kotaku Australia article on that game if you are curious. I've encountered other collectors as well, but only ones who also collect other Taiwanese games. If I had to guess I'd say that a pretty large chunk of its collectors are in regions that are unlikely to visit this site though. I've seen listings for it out of Mainland China, so that is a giant country where these sorts of things could wind up and never be heard from in the West again. I've considered collecting for it but have never seriously gone for it. If the criteria for a charm is that a significant amount of users on this site need to be pursuing it, then I agree with you that it isn't there yet. With that being said I think that creating a charm for it could help incentivize more users to take an honest look at the machine and see if they find it interesting. I'm not a set collector myself, so I don't really have a stake in this, I just think the machine is kinda neat 🙂

• Like 1