IGNORED

Is Breath of the Wild a glorified egghunt?

cartman

2 hours ago, RH said:

To  me, this was primarily an open world to explore--specifically Hyrule.  The "story line" was more of a side quest and building up your armor and equipment, and getting more hearts were all part of the experience so you could explore more difficult regions.

You pretty much nailed it right there. It just provided me with a fantastic sense of wonder and awe as I explored the unique world. The story and main quest were just there to give it some kind of traditional structure.

I think most modern AAA games are "glorified egg hunts". BotW is very similar to those, which is kind of unusual for Nintendo. But for what it's worth, I think it does a much better job at it, due to it's creative world design, constantly feeling rewarding whenever you discover new areas.

Events Team · Posted
34 minutes ago, RH said:

Speedrun.  Every dungeon.  Every memory.

Oooo, that sounds fun. And that would actually be quite different to my usual 100% runs I tend to do with games. I'm down for that. I'll also add every tower in there as well, but that's mostly because it's gonna drive me insane to not have a fully finished map.

Now, assuming by dungeons we're referring to the divine beasts, are we including the one in the DLC pack, or only the four in the base game?

1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Oooo, that sounds fun. And that would actually be quite different to my usual 100% runs I tend to do with games. I'm down for that. I'll also add every tower in there as well, but that's mostly because it's gonna drive me insane to not have a fully finished map.

Now, assuming by dungeons we're referring to the divine beasts, are we including the one in the DLC pack, or only the four in the base game?

Your call.  As I've personally mentioned 100x times before, I rarely finish any game and I got stuck on the 3rd divine beast before I gave up.  So, if you want to do 100% with the DLC, you're call.  Also, if you really, really, REALLY want an extra challenge, don't do the towers so there is no useful map and it's more difficult to navigate.  Hahaha.

7 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

How about no Divine Beasts, no towers, no shrines outside of the mandatory ones?  No more than 3 hearts.  No clothing outside of what you start with.

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, RH said:

Your call.  As I've personally mentioned 100x times before, I rarely finish any game and I got stuck on the 3rd divine beast before I gave up.  So, if you want to do 100% with the DLC, you're call.  Also, if you really, really, REALLY want an extra challenge, don't do the towers so there is no useful map and it's more difficult to navigate.  Hahaha.

Y'know what, no towers besides the first mandatory one sounds like a lot more fun than all towers. I'm in.

Also, for speedrunning purposes I won't count the DLC content, since that stuff's 100% optional.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

How about no Divine Beasts, no towers, no shrines outside of the mandatory ones?  No more than 3 hearts.  No clothing outside of what you start with.

So, a classic 3 heart run essentially? Yikes... the dodging mechanics in the game are pretty easy to get used to, but that might actually be kind of challenging. Tell you what, since it probably wouldn't actually take that long to accomplish that (I could probably beat the game under those conditions in like 2 or 3 long sessions) I'll do RH's suggestion first, and then after that I'll attempt a 3 heart run. I'm probably a bit rusty at the game anyway, so the RH run would be good practice for that.

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

If you remove the collecting, it's still an amazing game, no question.  I'm not sure why you mention missions since that has nothing to do with egg hunting.  There may be a few side quests that involve collecting, but again, those are purely optional.  

As I mentioned before, I had around 200 hours into this game.  If I removed all of the collecting or egg hunting if you want to call it that, I would still probably have had 80 to 100 hours of enjoyment which is well more than necessary to call the game amazing.  

I don't understand this. What is the exploration founded upon if not the collectibles and shrines? Sure you can *just* enjoy the nature but that seems rather empty to me.

Editorials Team · Posted

I appreciate games like this or Odyssey that are "as long as you want them to be," meaning if you're good just knocking out the beasts, enough shrines and koroks to get you the upgrades you want, and you don't care about the memories and quests, then you can go storm the castle and finish it when you're bored with the exploration. Or, if you wish there was more, you can go for all shrines, koroks etc.

Turns out I was able to spend hours and hours in BOTW hunting treasure chests using the sensor. For some reason I just loved doing that. The koroks get extremely repetitive if you try for all of them.

To answer your question, I wouldn't say it's fair to call the entire game an egg hunt. Many of the shrines had some decent puzzles in them, I liked the lantern-lighting quests, I loved the visual perspective puzzles (the heart-shaped shadow, the belly of the bird, etc), multiple ways to solve each puzzle, there's a lot of quality content in the game far outside of just collecting. Obviously it becomes a total egg hunt after you have sort of a "core" of collectables, but I'd consider that more "post game" content than anything else. And for a game to have a lot of optional stuff to collect/find/do after you're done with the core game, is a GOOD thing.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cartman said:

I don't understand this. What is the exploration founded upon if not the collectibles and shrines? Sure you can *just* enjoy the nature but that seems rather empty to me.

If you skip the collectibles, you can still play the MAIN GAME.  Just completing shrines and divine beasts along with the main quest of defeating Ganon is anything but an "egg hunt."  That part alone is still an amazing game.  

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Are most platformers glorified door hunts?

Are shooters glorified games of Red hands?

Is Civilization a glorified spreadsheet?

Is Metroid a glorified backtrack?

Is Dark Souls a glorified rolling simulator?

Lol @ Dark Souls. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Kingdom Hearts is a glorified puzzle game because you’re going to be puzzled trying to piece together that damn story.

(I love that stupid series.)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

If you skip the collectibles, you can still play the MAIN GAME.  Just completing shrines and divine beasts along with the main quest of defeating Ganon is anything but an "egg hunt."  That part alone is still an amazing game.  

Yes i know. But i already lifted up the shrines as a main funpoint of the exploring and you seemed to say that it's fun even without it. Maybe i missinterpreted it. The main game it's very short 4 races and the divine beast mission can be played pretty soon once you arrive. So it's still 95% exploration.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Except those games feel fun when doing that. Breath of the Wild... i wouldn't say it's flat out boring but it's not extendedly fun either. It's kinda like what GTA 3 to SA would be without the missions but with the drugpacks and horseshoes strewn around.

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, cartman said:

Except those games feel fun when doing that. Breath of the Wild... i wouldn't say it's flat out boring but it's not extendedly fun either. It's kinda like what GTA 3 to SA would be without the missions but with the drugpacks and horseshoes strewn around.

Not everything is for everyone

• Like 2

1 hour ago, guillavoie said:

I've always been unsure if I'd enjoy playing this big ass open world game, but now that I know that it is basically an egghunt, I'll probably give a it a go during the Easter holidays.

See you in April BOTW!

The mention was egghunt. Not specifically Easter eggs. They could be reference to omelette eggs or Yoshi eggs, which are entirely different sets of eggs. Now I feel like a Bacon and Egg McMuffin meal.