IGNORED

Is Breath of the Wild a glorified egghunt?

cartman

So i'm gaming this title and i can't quite figure out how much i like it or why. Or what i like about it. The landscapes are great and all but battling the grunts doesn't really give me much. Hunting & gathering has been kinda fun but there's not much need for all the extra money or dishes so i have to force some kind of purpose for doing it. There's not much battling going on ever really, most of the gameplay is rather puzzle based and on top of that it's optional. When you find a treasure chest or something you rarely need it anyway.

Perhaps the game should've had a bigger sense of purpose to the exploration. Maybe the races should've had you interact more than now or the shrines be based more on battling enemies and bosses, i don't know.

5 minutes ago, cartman said:

What do you adore it for?

They made travel enjoyable, which most sandbox type games do not. It was also neat to see what little things you'd discover and could appreciate the attention to detail. I really liked the sound track as well, which made itsuper immersive as an experience. Honestly, tough to describe why as I played it in March 2017, but I just really loved that game.

To  me, this was primarily an open world to explore--specifically Hyrule.  The "story line" was more of a side quest and building up your armor and equipment, and getting more hearts were all part of the experience so you could explore more difficult regions.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "egg hunt" but, IMHO, you could enjoy BotW for hours and not really accomplish much in regards to it's story or purpose.

I've been playing with my daughter and it has been great so far, the game is not action-packed but being able to explore more or less freely on a huge map more than makes up for that in our case, my daughter is able to explore on her own and there's so many things to do, when we play together we typically set our objective from a bunch of different things to do and go for it (go to a new area, do shrines, beat a divine beast, do secondary missions, find memories, etc.), then sometimes I play alone mostly exploring and discovering more things to do which I show to my daughter next time we play, I don't know, the game just keeps pulling us for more because we keep wondering what are we going to find next time.

I loved everything about this game.  I loved the environment.  I loved the sound and music.  I loved the graphic style.  I loved the story.  I even loved the cooking.

As far as exploration goes, I sometimes found it difficult to complete quests because I always wanted to know what was around that corner or behind that tree.  I was always interested in seeing as much of the environment as possible.  As an example I will compare it to Mario Odyssey.  I also love Odyssey, but I don't find the environments to be that interesting.  I have no desire to see ever square inch of any world outside of trying to find as many moons and purple coins as possible.  With BOTW, I could spend hours just exploring and never get tired.  

With that said, I might be able to understand why some people might not enjoy trying to find all of the korok seeds.  I could see how some people might view it as a way to add hours to the gameplay without any real purpose.  For that reason, the korok seeds are the only part of the game that I did't complete to 100% (although I did find about half of them).  Keep in mind though that korok seeds are completely optional.  

I still consider BOTW to be one of the greatest games I've ever played.  

Events Team · Posted
29 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

They made travel enjoyable, which most sandbox type games do not. It was also neat to see what little things you'd discover and could appreciate the attention to detail. I really liked the sound track as well, which made itsuper immersive as an experience. Honestly, tough to describe why as I played it in March 2017, but I just really loved that game.

Pretty much the same for me, it's my personal favorite video game of all time. Replayed it immediately once master mode came out, both runs were 100% runs, including getting all the korok seeds. Would I replay it a third time if offered? Absolutely.

• Like 2

Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

Pretty much the same for me, it's my personal favorite video game of all time. Replayed it immediately once master mode came out, both runs were 100% runs, including getting all the korok seeds. Would I replay it a third time if offered? Absolutely.

I offer you a 3rd time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I loved everything about this game.  I loved the environment.  I loved the sound and music.  I loved the graphic style.  I loved the story.  I even loved the cooking.

As far as exploration goes, I sometimes found it difficult to complete quests because I always wanted to know what was around that corner or behind that tree.  I was always interested in seeing as much of the environment as possible.  As an example I will compare it to Mario Odyssey.  I also love Odyssey, but I don't find the environments to be that interesting.  I have no desire to see ever square inch of any world outside of trying to find as many moons and purple coins as possible.  With BOTW, I could spend hours just exploring and never get tired.  

With that said, I might be able to understand why some people might not enjoy trying to find all of the korok seeds.  I could see how some people might view it as a way to add hours to the gameplay without any real purpose.  For that reason, the korok seeds are the only part of the game that I did't complete to 100% (although I did find about half of them).  Keep in mind though that korok seeds are completely optional.  

I still consider BOTW to be one of the greatest games I've ever played.  

Yeah, it's been awhile since I last played it, so I couldn't quite articulate why I loved it, but you put it far more eloquently than I probably would've been able to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Actually, now that I think about it, let's review the terms of this. Am I doing a third 100% run just for the hell of it, or will a standard playthrough suffice for you?

I'm actually looking forward to a second run through.  After beating the game for the first time, I continued to play on the same game save, so I never got around to starting from scratch again.  I put in close to 200 hours before deciding to move on to something else.  

I was also playing the Wii U version, so I'm thinking about just getting the Switch version and starting over.  

Events Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm actually looking forward to a second run through.  After beating the game for the first time, I continued to play on the same game save, so I never got around to starting from scratch again.  I put in close to 200 hours before deciding to move on to something else.  

I was also playing the Wii U version, so I'm thinking about just getting the Switch version and starting over.  

Honestly, a second run is totally worth it to me. It allows you to kind of look at the overworld with a different perspective, now that you've beaten it once and have much more knowledge than when you first played it. I would also recommend getting the expansion pass if you never did, if you really enjoyed what the base game already had to offer, then you'd absolutely enjoy the extra little bit of content the DLC gives you. Master Mode is a fun challenge, too. If you want something actually very challenging though, try the Trial of the Sword while playing the game on Master Mode. I will admit that normally this game is pretty easy, but maaan, some rooms in Trial of the Sword will absolutely fuck you up on Master Mode.

1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Honestly, a second run is totally worth it to me. It allows you to kind of look at the overworld with a different perspective, now that you've beaten it once and have much more knowledge than when you first played it. I would also recommend getting the expansion pass if you never did, if you really enjoyed what the base game already had to offer, then you'd absolutely enjoy the extra little bit of content the DLC gives you. Master Mode is a fun challenge, too. If you want something actually very challenging though, try the Trial of the Sword while playing the game on Master Mode. I will admit that normally this game is pretty easy, but maaan, some rooms in Trial of the Sword will absolutely fuck you up on Master Mode.

I bought the expansion pass, but the 200 hours or so that I had played were completed almost entirely before it was released so I've only completed a little of the expansion before I decided to take a break from the game.  

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I bought the expansion pass, but the 200 hours or so that I had played were completed almost entirely before it was released so I've only completed a little of the expansion before I decided to take a break from the game.  

You should play the rest of it if you ever get the chance, the final bit of the second pack is really great, and the trial of the sword can actually be quite challenging.

Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

You should play the rest of it if you ever get the chance, the final bit of the second pack is really great, and the trial of the sword can actually be quite challenging.

Oh, I absolutely will, but I definitely need to play through the game again first because I know that I will be rusty with the combat.  

1 hour ago, RH said:

To  me, this was primarily an open world to explore--specifically Hyrule.  The "story line" was more of a side quest and building up your armor and equipment, and getting more hearts were all part of the experience so you could explore more difficult regions.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "egg hunt" but, IMHO, you could enjoy BotW for hours and not really accomplish much in regards to it's story or purpose.

Egghunt is the collectibles: korok seeds, shrines, photo album etc.

9 minutes ago, cartman said:

Egghunt is the collectibles: korok seeds, shrines, photo album etc.

To get back to the original question of the thread, no BOTW is not a glorified egg hunt. 

None of those things you mention are required, and you can still get hours of enjoyment without doing any of those things if you don't want to.   

EDIT:  A few shrines are mandatory, but I don't think anyone could consider those 4 shrines to be an "egg hunt."

Edited by TDIRunner

19 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

To get back to the original question of the thread, no BOTW is not a glorified egg hunt. 

None of those things you mention are required, and you can still get hours of enjoyment without doing any of those things if you don't want to.   

EDIT:  A few shrines are mandatory, but I don't think anyone could consider those 4 shrines to be an "egg hunt."

So you mean there's enjoyment even with neither missions nor collecting? You would find it fun anyway?

Just now, cartman said:

So you mean there's enjoyment even with neither missions nor collecting? You would find it fun anyway?

If you remove the collecting, it's still an amazing game, no question.  I'm not sure why you mention missions since that has nothing to do with egg hunting.  There may be a few side quests that involve collecting, but again, those are purely optional.  

As I mentioned before, I had around 200 hours into this game.  If I removed all of the collecting or egg hunting if you want to call it that, I would still probably have had 80 to 100 hours of enjoyment which is well more than necessary to call the game amazing.  

• Like 1