IGNORED

Overrated Goose Game

DoctorEncore

I admit to being overly critical but I feel like this topic expands well beyond video games. Something gets uploaded onto Netflix and it's instantly the best thing ever created when in reality a lot of these shows or movies are mediocre at best. If something gains steam or is advertised enough it just becomes popular regardless. The game always looked like a quirky mobile game to me. 

Definitely some good Indies. Love me some Shovel Knight. Good balance between fun and skill and not watered down with collectibles. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I admit to being overly critical but I feel like this topic expands well beyond video games. Something gets uploaded onto Netflix and it's instantly the best thing ever created when in reality a lot of these shows or movies are mediocre at best. If something gains steam or is advertised enough it just becomes popular regardless. The game always looked like a quirky mobile game to me.

There needs to be a licensed Untitled Birdbox Movie: The Game DLC!

Edited by noiseredux

This is reminding me why I am liking PC gaming more as of late. Mod support really helps these games out. Hollow Knight has a few questionable design choices from what I understand.  I will definitely be modding to correct them for my playthrough.

Thankfully a lot of these games would run on most systems.  It's not an option limited to gaming PCs.

Edited by zeppelin03

I had no idea what the game was about or all that deal was other than a few second clip or two and some images and it looked boring as hell.  Reading the descriptions in here, that kind of cements my lack of regret on ignoring it and does verify it.

Perhaps looking at the surface of industry on the whole, and not the game mediocrity of what it is, it's not the game that's winning the award for being great, but the industry for being that shitty?  There's plenty of comments here, elsewhere, they all say that 2019 was poor, years have been poor outside of a few choice titles.  A whole lot of wash rinse repeat safe AAA drek so when something even bland as some angry goose comes honking around it jars people and it's so different it just feels freaking amazing because of all the other crap that has gone so horribly wrong.  Some may not want to look back and buy an old Nintendo or PC Engine or something, they use modern, so they find a partly polished turd and deify it because the AAA is just that copy pasta bland if not awful.  Kind of how the average girl will get some fat, ugly, both friends, so they look like the hot one.

• Like 2

I think one problem with a lot of modern games is that they are largely influenced by meme culture. The Untiltied Goose Game in particular started out as a meme and became a game. The developer said something like "wouldn't it be funny if you play a goose who steals things?" and somehow it blew it in popularity and the developers were so overwhelmed by the response that they actually went and made the damn game.

• Like 1

I thought it was decently fun too. But its quality is greatly overexaggerated. It's an okay game - I had fun with it in short doses. But its nowhere near this amazing masterpiece that the rabid fanbase would have you believe. But as said before, that goes for a lot of these games nowadays. For instance I just picked up Celeste, another gmae people went absolutely bonkers for, some calling it one of the best games of the last decade or of all time, which it definitely isn't. It's a good game, but I just don't see what makes it "such an incredibly special masterpiece". With many modern games people sing very praises about a lot of them and would lead you to believe these games are all A+ masterpiece when that is actually seldom the case. Of all of them I've played, I'd say Hollow Knight is the only one I would give "masterpiece status" to.

I’m not saying it’s a bad game, but in regards to the hype that the internet produced, I think the novelty factor helped get it there. Frankly, it’s a funny scenario. And even funnier that someone made it into a game. It’s kind of a meme and I think that plus the fact that it’s competent is what helped it become overhyped.

I’m also in the “the asking price is too high for what it is” camp.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AstralSoul13 said:

I thought it was decently fun too. But its quality is greatly overexaggerated. It's an okay game - I had fun with it in short doses. But its nowhere near this amazing masterpiece that the rabid fanbase would have you believe. But as said before, that goes for a lot of these games nowadays. For instance I just picked up Celeste, another gmae people went absolutely bonkers for, some calling it one of the best games of the last decade or of all time, which it definitely isn't. It's a good game, but I just don't see what makes it "such an incredibly special masterpiece". With many modern games people sing very praises about a lot of them and would lead you to believe these games are all A+ masterpiece when that is actually seldom the case. Of all of them I've played, I'd say Hollow Knight is the only one I would give "masterpiece status" to.

I'm one of the crazies who thinks Celeste is a masterpiece. I don't think the depression/anxiety story adds much, but the platforming, level design, and controls are as close to perfect as I've seen since Super Meat Boy. The way that your abilities are revealed to you as you play, even though you had them all along, is genius. If you ever do go back to it, try to get all the strawberries and do the B/C sides.  That's where the level design really starts to shine. It is just a beautiful game. And that music! Now I'm just rambling, but it has become one of my all-time favorites.

I've only logged a couple hours in Hollow Knight but it didn't immediately grab me. I do plan to go back and finish it though. Hopefully I will love it.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, DoctorEncore said:

I mean, technically I paid for it by paying for Game Pass. I just paid very very little. My bigger frustration is the time I'll never get back. But I'm picking up what you're putting down and I definitely would NOT recommend paying $20 for it.

Yeah, that's what's kept me from buying it. $20 for a... what... 6 hour game? But I thought it had a lot more depth to it than I'm reading from you guys. I haven't seen any real gameplay of it or anything because I wanted to be surprised, but I'll be sure to wait for it to go on sale before I spend that much.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Hollow Knight. I poured about 60 hours into it and loved every minute. I love the art style, the caterpis, everything. There were some spots that weren't immediately clear to me on how to get past, and I admit I did look up a bunch of stuff, but all in all it's one of my top Metroid-like titles.

Shovel Knight is also up there. Really well made, even if the bosses were pretty easy in general. Shovel Knight is also pretty short but well worth the price.

Shovel Knight is good, but it really shines when you play it through in NG+ mode.

Going for the secrets and buying upgrades is fun and all. But the true replay value comes in playing it in this pure action game form. Since your upgrades and subweapons carry over, there's no more hunting for money and secrets, so it's just a lean linear path to the end - and there are absolutely no healing items, and only one checkpoint per stage, so any mistake has consequences. It's still not very hard, but it's a lot more enjoyable.

If you have already played Shovel Knight, but not played NG+, do yourself the favor. It'll make you see the game in a new light and appreciate it more. Definitely among the absolute best of its modern niche.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm one of the crazies who thinks Celeste is a masterpiece. I don't think the depression/anxiety story adds much, but the platforming, level design, and controls are as close to perfect as I've seen since Super Meat Boy. The way that your abilities are revealed to you as you play, even though you had them all along, is genius. If you ever do go back to it, try to get all the strawberries and do the B/C sides.  That's where the level design really starts to shine. It is just a beautiful game. And that music! Now I'm just rambling, but it has become one of my all-time favorites.

I've only logged a couple hours in Hollow Knight but it didn't immediately grab me. I do plan to go back and finish it though. Hopefully I will love it.

Nothing wrong with thinking a game is a masterpiece. I think Celeste is very good, don't get me wrong. But not one of the best games I ever played. I definitely agree the music is awesome in Celeste. Hollow Knight didn't grab me at first, it had to sink in after a few play sessions. By the time I finished it, it became one of my favorite games of the last decade. 

Surprised to see any negativity toward Hollow Knight.

While I got distracted before the end-game and haven't finished it yet, from the get-go the mood, art, and sound design all grabbed me.

It is certainly a little frustrating to not have an auto-map until you make meaningful progress in a region, but once you get used to it, it is just like going back to the classics of the genre.

Ran into the same distracted-before-the-endgame on Axiom Verge.   

But thought it was a great game where the "Metroidvania" moniker is completely misused, since the game is more-Metroid-than-Metroid with no "vania" components whatsoever.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, AstralSoul13 said:

I think one problem with a lot of modern games is that they are largely influenced by meme culture. The Untiltied Goose Game in particular started out as a meme and became a game. The developer said something like "wouldn't it be funny if you play a goose who steals things?" and somehow it blew it in popularity and the developers were so overwhelmed by the response that they actually went and made the damn game.

I have to say I think this is right.  I also hate the idea of 'meme culture'.

I also would like to add I've been falling in love with Bloodstained.  The only critique about it is that I wish it wasn't SO similar to SotN but thats not a bad thing.  I also got lucky because I just started playing it on the switch right after they patched it.  I didn't realize how much of a mess it was.  

Edited by guitarzombie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Surprised to see any negativity toward Hollow Knight.

While I got distracted before the end-game and haven't finished it yet, from the get-go the mood, art, and sound design all grabbed me.

It is certainly a little frustrating to not have an auto-map until you make meaningful progress in a region, but once you get used to it, it is just like going back to the classics of the genre.

Ran into the same distracted-before-the-endgame on Axiom Verge.   

But thought it was a great game where the "Metroidvania" moniker is completely misused, since the game is more-Metroid-than-Metroid with no "vania" components whatsoever.

Completely agree about Hollow Knight. It's one of the few masterpieces of the last decade IMO. Axiom Verge was good to me, but not amazing. It was definitely very much a Metroid-style game.