IGNORED

Do you prefer that brand new or worm in feeling when using controllers?

austin532

I've always wondered what people prefer. Do you like the textured stiff feeling of a new controller or do you like that smooth worn in feel? For those of you who don't know what I mean often times a new controller will have stiff buttons and a slight textured coating on the shell. Over time it wears down and becomes smooth and the buttons become lose.

I kind of like worn down feel as the controller seems to grip onto your hands better. What about you?

It's going to depend.  If we're just talking about plastic, I like for my stuff to be used, but not abused.  Clean but worn.  However, once you get into the mechanical stuff like analog sticks, you have to go with as new as possible without sacrificing quality. 

Controllers are like a nice set of tools or guitars.  They get better with age (well, when they aren't mechanically wearing out) and show signs of their age and history of being loved.

46 minutes ago, austin532 said:

I think there is a sweet spot for controllers. It's when it's no longer brand new and has been broken in but not completely trashed yet.

This is how I feel, but I would add that the sweet spot lasts years and years. I don't want anything new. I have NES controllers that are worn in and I have used them for years at a time. If they stop functioning properly, its a ten dollar fix at the local game shop to get another used/worn/original controller, but I have only needed to do that a time or two for each system over the last decade of heavy use. 

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer a broken in controller since I'm really particular especially when it comes to NES from playing in the weekly contests. I've used the same exact one for years. It has the perfect balance of the buttons not being as stiff as a brand new one, but still soft enough to be able to pull off split second and precise movements without killing my thumbs.

17 minutes ago, ookii_risu said:

I prefer brand new. Buttons and D-pad feel more accurate with less give. I bought a new controller once to make sure I had the very best controller when I was playing a game for high score. I like the smell, feel, and texture of a new controller. 

I like all of those things, but it bothers me when the d-pad or buttons are so stiff you can't just tap them and get a response. That's why I always use the same controller. I know the feel of it and it translates to any game.