IGNORED

Game Debate #200: Super Mario World

Rate it  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• The Witness
    • Baba Is You
    • Return of the Obra Dinn
    • Tunic
    • I refuse to vote for fancy newfangled games

It's titles like SMW that make gaming great.  I'm stingy with my 10's, and I save them for games like SMW that look and sound incredible, control perfectly and just never get old.  Super Mario World is an easy 10/10 with no hesitation.  It's one of the best games ever made.

I'm not surprised this game is rating well, but man, all of these 10s are nuts.  I mean, it's good but it's not THAT good.

And for the record, I played this one to completion/near completion in late High School when a buddy of mine let me borrow his SNES and his pile of games.  This and Zelda were the only two games I played much of.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is a good conversation....

8/10.... because I typically categorize NES & SNES separately... so overall, compared to the SNES library SMW is definitely at least an 8.... could maybe even be higher. I would say, in an SNES discussion only, that it is a "great" game.... Even a 9 in this context because if you are playing SNES then you 100% should be playing this game.

HOWEVER.... when we look at the overall Mario games and compare them, as others have brought up, I will go ahead and quote myself: "SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3." 

😉👍

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Ankos said:

I prefer the GBA version for both

I agree with SMB3 but not with SMW, I still prefer the SNES version a tiny bit more.

SMB3 with the extra Ecard levels is the best way to play SMB3 imo. Looks amazing and plays great. The new levels are some of the best Mario levels I’ve played.

SMW colours are a bit messed up on the GBA which I didn’t really like. The save anytime was handy though. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I agree with SMB3 but not with SMW, I still prefer the SNES version a tiny bit more.

SMB3 with the extra Ecard levels is the best way to play SMB3 imo. Looks amazing and plays great. The new levels are some of the best Mario levels I’ve played.

SMW colours are a bit messed up on the GBA which I didn’t really like. The save anytime was handy though. 

Makes sense. I grew up with GBA SMW, so the colors to me seem normal

• Like 1

Up there for the best game of all time. Imagine making a game like Mario 3 and then following it up with Mario World.  I've always liked the world in Mario World better then Mario 3 and Dino Land overall is a scene that can't be replicated. And the cape is the best power up of all time. 

10/10 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Brickman said:

Well the superior SMB3 is on the SNES as well. So technically it can fall into a SNES discussion 😆

Star Wars No GIF

Haha... So much to unpack there... I'm not even sure where to start. Not even sure if I know where/how with this one. 🤣

Actually... it's easy, I much prefer the NES controller, and I think you lose a bit of the "tightness" with the port/SNES controller. Whatever the reason is, I don't know.... but in SMB3 All Stars the gameplay feels a bit "heavier" for me. 🤷‍♂️

Plus while I can appreciate the upgrade in graphics, sometimes I don't like change. 🙈

11 hours ago, Brickman said:

I must admit, I have never played the ecard levels. 😨

Mostly because I am not a fan of the button set-up on the GBA and find playing SMB3 awkward.

When the A button is on an slight angle upwards I find in annoying. When I'm playing SMB3 on All Stars I can never play that way, I think it's weird.

I also hate the Dogbone controller for the exact same reason.

OKAY.... So just to see how the button configuration was handled I tossed in SMB All-Stars. It has been YEARS since I played it. So the button option comes before you start the game... okay. I chose Mario 3 and IMMEDIATELY was upset/shocked/disgusted.

I uncontrollably said out lout "What the fuck is this!?!?" at hearing the music and sound in the opening. 🤮

Big fuck up there.

Then the music in the first world. Ugh. They try to get fancy with it and just ends up fucking it up. Gameplay feels okay, but still not as comfortable as NES.

Graphics are neat, sure, but it fucks with the gameplay and feels "heavy" like I said above.

And the tail sounds like shit.

OG SMB3 FTW. 😎👍

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Up there for the best game of all time. Imagine making a game like Mario 3 and then following it up with Mario World.  I've always liked the world in Mario World better then Mario 3 and Dino Land overall is a scene that can't be replicated. And the cape is the best power up of all time. 

10/10 

This comment about the cape is just false. 🙈

CAMMAN! We all know the Tanooki Suit exists, right?

BUT... even before that.... the Racoon Tail is far superior to the Cape.

Cape = One big jump and MUST move forward.

Racoon Tail = Can fly upwards.

Then when you're flying forward with the cape all you can do is go up or down, and you must do one or the other, there's not much room for maneuvering.

Plus, when you have the Cape on, you can't fly while carrying a shell/item. You can jump high, but that's it.

With the Racoon Tail/Tanooki Suit you can fly while you're holding that shell, baybay!

Maybe I'm missing something about the cape that people love? I mean, yeah, you can fly through a whole level with it....

I do agree that Dino Land is hella cool. Being such a SMB3 map lover, I can't say it's "better' than the maps, but I certainly do give much respect to the "world" layout and that in SMW.

8/10

Great game (especially the GBA version with its improved save feature, added cutscenes, the addition of a status menu, and Luigi plays somewhat differently than Mario), but I'll always prefer Super Mario Bros. 3 which is my favorite Mario game and received a well-deserved 10/10 from me. When it comes to Mario games on the SNES, I like Super Mario RPG the most (don't care that it's a spin off, it's still a Mario game).

Edited by MegaMan52

7 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I must admit, I have never played the ecard levels. 😨

Mostly because I am not a fan of the button set-up on the GBA and find playing SMB3 awkward.

When the A button is on an slight angle upwards I find in annoying. When I'm playing SMB3 on All Stars I can never play that way, I think it's weird.

CAMMAN! We all know the Tanooki Suit exists, right?

BUT... even before that.... the Racoon Tail is far superior to the Cape.

Cape = One big jump and MUST move forward.

Racoon Tail = Can fly upwards.

Then when you're flying forward with the cape all you can do is go up or down, and you must do one or the other, there's not much room for maneuvering.

Plus, when you have the Cape on, you can't fly while carrying a shell/item. You can jump high, but that's it.

With the Racoon Tail/Tanooki Suit you can fly while you're holding that shell, baybay!

Maybe I'm missing something about the cape that people love? I mean, yeah, you can fly through a whole level with it....

I do agree that Dino Land is hella cool. Being such a SMB3 map lover, I can't say it's "better' than the maps, but I certainly do give much respect to the "world" layout and that in SMW.

1. The e-reader levels are super cool. They're a hybrid of the first four Super Mario Bros games (not counting Special and SMB2J). They've got capes, and turnips you can pull, and level 1-2 from og SMB

2. Which models of GBA have you tried it on? All of them angle A somewhat, but GBA SP has some nice perks. Easily has the best d-pad I've ever used

3. The cape is surprisingly fun to use assuming you don't cheese the entire game with it (though pretty much any flight item in Mario games can be used to cheese the game to some extent. Calling the cape bad because it is overpowered is like calling warp whistles bad because you can skip the game with them). You've got a few seconds of free movement followed by main part of the flight. If you toss an item you can catch it during the main part of the flight, but this is kinda hard. The free movement gives you enough time to make adjustments and change direction, so if used properly it can be used to reach about as many places as the tail. Once you get to the main stage of movement you can go up, down, speed up, or slow down. You can also ram into the ground for an attack, or you can tank one free hit. It allows for magical moments, like weaving through a fortress and then carefully preserving the flight to take out a bunch of enemies

10 hours ago, NostalgicMachine said:

You mean you don't enjoy lack of save states for SMB3?! Heathen! /s 😎

All these SMB3 fans talking about how SMB3 is better just because you cannot save. You don't have to save in the GBA version, you can still play the game in one sitting. Same goes for Super Mario World 🙂

• Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
13 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Aging gamers: "I don't have time for games anymore.  Especially these new games that are so dang long."

Also, aging gamers: "Who needs the convenience of saves.  Just sit and play for a couple hours."

😋

Meanwhile, me playing Might and Magic 6:

image.gif

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Actually... it's easy, I much prefer the NES controller, and I think you lose a bit of the "tightness" with the port/SNES controller. Whatever the reason is, I don't know.... but in SMB3 All Stars the gameplay feels a bit "heavier" for me. 🤷‍♂️

Plus while I can appreciate the upgrade in graphics, sometimes I don't like change. 🙈

I don't understand why anyone would prefer an NES controller to the SNES one which is much easier on the hands, and does diagonals better, but is otherwise just as tight and responsive. But personal preference is what it is - I'm still fond of the NES controller as well, so it's a fair stance.

However, SMB3 on SNES controls *exactly* like the NES version. 🙂 If I remember correctly, the gameplay code is basically unchanged thanks to the SNES CPU's backwards compatibility.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Ankos said:

1. The e-reader levels are super cool. They're a hybrid of the first four Super Mario Bros games (not counting Special and SMB2J). They've got capes, and turnips you can pull, and level 1-2 from og SMB

2. Which models of GBA have you tried it on? All of them angle A somewhat, but GBA SP has some nice perks. Easily has the best d-pad I've ever used

3. The cape is surprisingly fun to use assuming you don't cheese the entire game with it (though pretty much any flight item in Mario games can be used to cheese the game to some extent. Calling the cape bad because it is overpowered is like calling warp whistles bad because you can skip the game with them). You've got a few seconds of free movement followed by main part of the flight. If you toss an item you can catch it during the main part of the flight, but this is kinda hard. The free movement gives you enough time to make adjustments and change direction, so if used properly it can be used to reach about as many places as the tail. Once you get to the main stage of movement you can go up, down, speed up, or slow down. You can also ram into the ground for an attack, or you can tank one free hit. It allows for magical moments, like weaving through a fortress and then carefully preserving the flight to take out a bunch of enemies

All these SMB3 fans talking about how SMB3 is better just because you cannot save. You don't have to save in the GBA version, you can still play the game in one sitting. Same goes for Super Mario World 🙂

I just want to ensure everyone knows I was being sarcastic with that response, lol. I love both games for different reasons. There's just something about NES SMB3 that just does it for me, despite the quality of life improvements on later versions.

Same for SMBW!

Great post, btw.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

As it stands, the following Mario games are all grouped together, rounding out the top 10, which is pretty amazing considered we've done over 200 games:

9.09 - Super Mario Bros. 3
9.08 - Super Mario 64
9.08 - Super Mario Bros.
9.02 - Super Mario World

• Love 1

7 hours ago, NostalgicMachine said:

I just want to ensure everyone knows I was being sarcastic with that response, lol. I love both games for different reasons. There's just something about NES SMB3 that just does it for me, despite the quality of life improvements on later versions.

Same for SMBW!

Great post, btw.

thanks. I could tell by the emoji it a joke. I get why people like the NES version, especially it they are playing on CRT. the fuzziness and warm colors almost make it feel like sitting around a campfire.

Have you tried the Famicom version? It has some changes from the NES version, like how any hit will send you back to small Mario, even if you have a fire flower