IGNORED

Game Debate #200: Super Mario World

Rate it  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• The Witness
    • Baba Is You
    • Return of the Obra Dinn
    • Tunic
    • I refuse to vote for fancy newfangled games

At the time of writing this, I'm the one who voted Never played it, but you're interested.

I should have really liked the NES Mario games, and I can see they are good games, but I've just never really enjoyed them.  I was the wrong age to like playing a game with a cartoon plumber who jumps on turtles, and the core gameplay just feels like something I've seen over and over again. A SNES sequel was definitely not a draw for me.

I have made myself play many a Mario game and enjoyed my time with some.  I'll probably play Super Mario World at some point but would much rather play all of the modern games listed in the Next week's poll section.  I've actually quit playing two of those games and would look forward to playing either of them before SMW.

• Wow! 1

Editorials Team · Posted
31 minutes ago, wongojack said:

At the time of writing this, I'm the one who voted Never played it, but you're interested.

I should have really liked the NES Mario games, and I can see they are good games, but I've just never really enjoyed them.  I was the wrong age to like playing a game with a cartoon plumber who jumps on turtles, and the core gameplay just feels like something I've seen over and over again. A SNES sequel was definitely not a draw for me.

I have made myself play many a Mario game and enjoyed my time with some.  I'll probably play Super Mario World at some point but would much rather play all of the modern games listed in the Next week's poll section.  I've actually quit playing two of those games and would look forward to playing either of them before SMW.

Well, now I understand your adversion to my Mario praise in the SNES rankings.

...and yes, I may have scanned the entire internet for feedback to the rankings at one point 😛

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Ankos said:

thanks. I could tell by the emoji it a joke. I get why people like the NES version, especially it they are playing on CRT. the fuzziness and warm colors almost make it feel like sitting around a campfire.

Have you tried the Famicom version? It has some changes from the NES version, like how any hit will send you back to small Mario, even if you have a fire flower

I've heard all about the Famicom version, but I've never personally gotten the chance to play it.

For the record, I have a dedicated 24" Phillips CRT for my NES 😎.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Well, now I understand your adversion to my Mario praise in the SNES rankings.

...and yes, I may have scanned the entire internet for feedback to the rankings at one point 😛

I'm capable of totally wiffing and just forgetting myself, but I'm not following.  Did you mean to reply to someone else?  

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I'm capable of totally wiffing and just forgetting myself, but I'm not following.  Did you mean to reply to someone else?  

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/320408-what-game-led-you-buy-snes-at-the-time/?do=findComment&comment=5133943

Like I said, I read all of the comments once upon a time 😄

Props to @Tanooki for sharing

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/320408-what-game-led-you-buy-snes-at-the-time/?do=findComment&comment=5133943

Like I said, I read all of the comments once upon a time 😄

Props to @Tanooki for sharing

Ah ha - no longer confused.  I hadn't been back to check your site in a while.  Just went back and love it but stop jerking off Mario and play your backlog already.

• Haha 2

For real, though; this is one of the few games I'd legit and honestly give a 10/10 with no hyperbole.

I can only think of a few games I'd give non-hyperbolic 10/10's to:

A Link to The Past

Super Metroid

Mega Man X

Super Mario Bros. 3

There's just something about Super Mario World that clicks the first time you play, and sticks with you to this day.

• Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 4/15/2024 at 9:25 AM, wongojack said:

Whoa - I wouldn't be surprised if you're the only person on this entire forum who hasn't ever played Super Mario World!

On one hand, I'd say it's worth trying even if the NES Mario games aren't your thing. But on the other hand, it's impressive that you've held off for so long, and that's kinda neat haha.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

Whoa - I wouldn't be surprised if you're the only person on this entire forum who hasn't ever played Super Mario World!

On one hand, I'd say it's worth trying even if the NES Mario games aren't your thing. But on the other hand, it's impressive that you've held off for so long, and that's kinda neat haha.

[T-Pac]

This gives me an idea for a new thread... stay tuned for 5 minutes.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

[T-Pac]

I know that I own a copy of Super Mario All Stars for the Wii, and I MIGHT have the SNES cart.  There's a chance that I've played it for less than 10 minutes.  I've also played some SMW content in Super Mario Maker, but it confused me.

• Like 1