IGNORED

It looks like the Sealed 1st Production NES Castlevania market has just exploded!

Not my thing but it doesn’t really surprise me. The older the NES gets the more the console gets dwindled down to the popular series that everyone knows and items that started a popular series. They will be the things the mainstream collect imo

4 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

i wouldn't

But clearly lots of people are purchasing video games as an investment. I remember back in 2010 was the first time a comic book sold for over $1million -- it was Action Comics #1. Of course lots of people were saying different things including "well, if I had it I would just read it since comic books are mean to be read!" and so on. Hey, people are entitled to spend their money however they please. That said, all the recent Action Comics #1 auctions have broken $3million. Point is, video games are following the trajectories of all highly collectible "pop culture" items such as Magic Cards, D&D, Star Wars figures, LEGO, GI Joe, etc. Whether people collect graded/sealed games or not, those are the ones that will continue to gain the most attention and continue to appreciate in value the most.

• Agree 2

On 3/25/2024 at 7:32 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

This perplexes me. I genuinely have no clue why this would hold such a premium and to who(m). And raw?? Makes 0 sense to my plebian mind. 

Sealed + NES + dentist + HA + WATA 

= winning formula

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 9:34 PM, Hammerfestus said:

I saw on Reddit that it was @MinusWorlds who won this.  They don’t seem to believe that he’s a real person lol.

This is MinusWorlds. I am a bot. Beep boop beep. Fuck Reddit. Boop beep boop. The creator of Reddit owns many Wata games. Including the $1.56M Super Mario64. Boop boop beep. Oh the irony. Beep boop. Lolz. Beep boop beep. 

Imagine that in your best robot voice. 

Edited by MinusWorlds
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, MinusWorlds said:

This is MinusWorlds. I am a bot. Beep boop beep. Fuck Reddit. Boop beep boop. The creator of Reddit owns many Wata games. Including the $1.56M Super Mario64. Boop boop beep. Oh the irony. Beep boop. Lolz. Beep boop beep. 

Imagine that in your best robot voice. 

eric andre GIF by The Eric Andre Show

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
Just now, MinusWorlds said:

Awesome. What’s up dude? How you been?

I'm alright. Need a job but other than that just been chillin. Have a house and cats now, mostly playin' games, as ever.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm alright. Need a job but other than that just been chillin. Have a house and cats now, mostly playin' games, as ever.

I need minions. The pay is zero, but you can play all the games you want. All you have to do is fight off the Reddit crowd for me. It’s pretty easy. Just a bunch of infants that cry a lot. 

I also have cats btw. Lost my avatar buddy few years back tho 😞

• Sad 2

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, MinusWorlds said:

I need minions. The pay is zero, but you can play all the games you want. All you have to do is fight off the Reddit crowd for me. It’s pretty easy. Just a bunch of infants that cry a lot. 

I also have cats btw. Lost my avatar buddy few years back tho 😞

Sad to hear about the pup, they're truly our besties. I've got 3 black cat boys, it's funny how anyone seeing them for the first time is like "how do you tell them apart?" when they're all so different both physically and in how they behave and interact with us and each other. Such interesting animals.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Sad to hear about the pup, they're truly our besties. I've got 3 black cat boys, it's funny how anyone seeing them for the first time is like "how do you tell them apart?" when they're all so different both physically and in how they behave and interact with us and each other. Such interesting animals.

That’s awesome dude. Yeah I’m sure you’re like how TF can’t you tell, like, “That’s Jim, he clearly is the intellectual, and that’s Buzzsaw, don’t look at him for too long or he’ll rip your face clean off.”  We got 3 cats and they are all unique, and same, 2 look alike and people get confused and I just sit there and think my friends are stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m surprised that on a forum about game collecting that there’s this much confusion about a sealed game in this print with only 2-3 known copies in existence.

edit: apparently there’s 6 copies lol

Edited by inasuma
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, inasuma said:

I’m surprised that on a forum about game collecting that there’s this much confusion about a sealed game in this print with only 2-3 known copies in existence.

Well there's a flip-side to that coin.  I still consider myself "new" to this crowd because I joined Nintendo Age in 2016!

When you have been collecting games for so long that you could remember getting a Stadium Events for $300 and just about any other sealed title for no more than $200, it's hard to believe these jaw-dropping prices because for so long, there might have been a few collectors around with deep pockets, there were never people around that could consistently drop higher-five-figure amounts on anything.

You kind of get sticker-shock when you see that much money floating around a hobby that hasn't been that way for the prior 20 years.  I imagine that's the shock because even I feel that way from doing this for about 8 years now.

23 hours ago, RH said:

Well there's a flip-side to that coin.  I still consider myself "new" to this crowd because I joined Nintendo Age in 2016!

When you have been collecting games for so long that you could remember getting a Stadium Events for $300 and just about any other sealed title for no more than $200, it's hard to believe these jaw-dropping prices because for so long, there might have been a few collectors around with deep pockets, there were never people around that could consistently drop higher-five-figure amounts on anything.

You kind of get sticker-shock when you see that much money floating around a hobby that hasn't been that way for the prior 20 years.  I imagine that's the shock because even I feel that way from doing this for about 8 years now.

That's fair. For me, it's mainly about how after this many years since the 2021 HA sigs, most prices don't shock me. lol

Also, recognizing just how stinking rare these games are. 6 copies of this game, for instance? Might as well throw at a dart board for its final price. lol

Edited by inasuma

Can anyone give me insight into how this price is reached? Like what factors play into it going to 90k?

2 or 3 to exist, so it's rare. 

Castlevania so cool?

A ton of money on the sideline from other HA auctions and switching into favorites or better long term holds?

Bitcoin went brrr so time to splurge?

Maybe a quick flip? Raw -> grade gets $110k?

Honestly curious. People saying they're not surprised by $90k but that's more than most grails in other sectors of the collectors markets. And those are for graded items. Pivotal game, sure but not historic in my book. 3 is a better game but I guess missing the hangtab factor? $90k is 3x $30k. Like, that's a proper amount of cash.

I feel people are numb to these huge numbers. It's $10k over $80k. That's nothing to stick your nose up at. It makes me think these purchases are with funny money from big profits pulled from other sales. 

• Thanks 1