IGNORED

It looks like the Sealed 1st Production NES Castlevania market has just exploded!

47 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I miss when conversations about NES games were about NWCs and hidden gems and whether Samson or Dino peak are actually rarer.

Totally see where you're coming from. The days of conversations regarding hidden gems is still here, just not when it comes to classic systems like NES, SNES, etc. Classic video games are now the hottest collectible, and they are following the same trajectory as baseball cards and comic books from decades ago. As much as we might be "shocked" at prices now, a few more decades and people will fondly look back at a time when you could purchase a minty graded NES game for "only a few hundred dollars".

43 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

This perplexes me. I genuinely have no clue why this would hold such a premium and to who(m). And raw?? Makes 0 sense to my plebian mind. 

Castlevania is of course one of the grandfathers of modern gaming, so I'm not surprised that a minty ungraded copy sold for that amount. I'm sure whomever purchased it will immediately send it for grading and then put it in some collection or bank vault. It's only going to appreciate in value.

50 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Totally see where you're coming from. The days of conversations regarding hidden gems is still here, just not when it comes to classic systems like NES, SNES, etc. Classic video games are now the hottest collectible, and they are following the same trajectory as baseball cards and comic books from decades ago. As much as we might be "shocked" at prices now, a few more decades and people will fondly look back at a time when you could purchase a minty graded NES game for "only a few hundred dollars".

It’s not even the value really.  100k for a very nice sealed copy of that big of a name?  Sure, why not.  As a mostly NES collector I’m just opining bygone days when NES discussion was about something other than how much cash sealed collectors are throwing around or which print run something is.  That noob thread got me reminiscing.  Remember how dramatic and exciting the Atwood saga was?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

It’s not even the value really.  100k for a very nice sealed copy of that big of a name?  Sure, why not.  As a mostly NES collector I’m just opining bygone days when NES discussion was about something other than how much cash sealed collectors are throwing around or which print run something is.  That noob thread got me reminiscing.  Remember how dramatic and exciting the Atwood saga was?

I like how numb we have become to the amount being spent on a video game. Like $100k yeah whatever lmao

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I like how numb we have become to the amount being spent on a video game. Like $100k yeah whatever lmao

Yeah I mean it seems like a lot of money but that stuff is so many orders of magnitude beyond my means that it’s just a side show to me.  It’s basically just gawking at rich fuckers playing with their toys.

5 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Tulipmania is alive and well!

At least the buyer got free shipping.

*Munches on an onion I found lying around - at least I think it is an onion of some sort.*

I honestly don't feel video games are a speculative bubble what will burst. I'm old enough to remember when people were saying the same thing about a Black Lotus from Magic -- "$400! that's crazy, just wait, it's bound to come down" It never did of course, with today's median price for a used copy being $20k

You could say "that's crazy! that's only for the rich" -- and by analogy, clearly only someone rich is going to spend $90k+ on a video game -- as @Hammerfestus noted that's orders of magnitude more than pretty much any of us can spend on a game. However, my point is that these games are iconic. They will only appreciate in value. If I had won the lottery I'd also be purchasing these games, getting them graded, and keeping them in a vault as investment.

As for discussion on NES games, well there's certainly some, but considering the NES officially ended in 1995 and considering the price of games is skyrocketing it's only natural there's going to be lots of talk about value. I don't see anything wrong with that. All that said, as much as I love retro gaming (I think by far the best system for that is the Evercade), I also enjoy new games and there are plenty of discussions regarding say how great that new PS5 game is, or why that indie game could have been better... I think it's the nature of things 🙂

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I honestly don't feel video games are a speculative bubble what will burst. I'm old enough to remember when people were saying the same thing about a Black Lotus from Magic -- "$400! that's crazy, just wait, it's bound to come down" It never did of course, with today's median price for a used copy being $20k

You could say "that's crazy! that's only for the rich" -- and by analogy, clearly only someone rich is going to spend $90k+ on a video game -- as @Hammerfestus noted that's orders of magnitude more than pretty much any of us can spend on a game. However, my point is that these games are iconic. They will only appreciate in value. If I had won the lottery I'd also be purchasing these games, getting them graded, and keeping them in a vault as investment.

As for discussion on NES games, well there's certainly some, but considering the NES officially ended in 1995 and considering the price of games is skyrocketing it's only natural there's going to be lots of talk about value. I don't see anything wrong with that. All that said, as much as I love retro gaming (I think by far the best system for that is the Evercade), I also enjoy new games and there are plenty of discussions regarding say how great that new PS5 game is, or why that indie game could have been better... I think it's the nature of things 🙂

*Offers avatar! part of his "onion".*

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Tulipmania is alive and well!

At least the buyer got free shipping.

*Munches on an onion I found lying around - at least I think it is an onion of some sort.*

Was that the style at the time?

17 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

*Offers avatar! part of his "onion".*

ummm. Wait a second. What is this code for? And what was the asterisks for? Never mind, I'm not sure I need to know. 

Edited by Link

25 minutes ago, avatar! said:

old enough to remember when people were saying the same thing about a Black Lotus from Magic -- "$400! that's crazy, just wait, it's bound to come down" It never did of course, with today's median price for a used copy being $20k

Not to say I ever knew anything about the MTG scene, but what am I missing here?

IMG_6674.jpeg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Link said:

Was that the style at the time?

There is a story (maybe true maybe not) about a British tar who ate an onion  he found in a warehouse in Amsterdam during tulipmania. Turned out it was a rare tulip bulb and the sailor was thrown into the hoosegow until restitution was made.

• Haha 1

Just now, Link said:

Not to say I ever knew anything about the MTG scene, but what am I missing here?

IMG_6674.jpeg

Those are not original. The one listed at $14.99 is probably a fake -- people sell fakes ALL THE TIME.

Here is what a true black lotus goes for -- sold just a few days ago --

Screenshot-from-2024-03-24-23-49-22.png

Yeah, I know, it's graded. Well, no one with a real Black Lotus is going to just put it in a sleeve!! All alpha/beta cards (and most unlimited) will all be graded. Now, the above was graded a 9, but I've also seen an 8 sell for that price! I'm not going to get into the whole alpha/beta/unlimited thing -- you're welcome to look into that. BUT, those sets published back in 1993, are the only actual Black Lotus cards most people are interested in -- AND those are the only Black Lotus cards that are tournament legal. In 2022 (30th anniversary) Wizards reprinted the Black Lotus as a proxy card, and again, that is not tournament legal. That said, even those cards have been selling for a few thousand dollars -- which in my mind is crazy! Anyway, so there you go, hope that helped 🙂

2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

probably a fake

I kind of expected that as a possibility, but not being in that community this wasn't clear from what bit of digging I could do. It completely makes sense with the card being out of print very shortly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Those are not original. The one listed at $14.99 is probably a fake -- people sell fakes ALL THE TIME.

Here is what a true black lotus goes for -- sold just a few days ago --

Screenshot-from-2024-03-24-23-49-22.png

Yeah, I know, it's graded. Well, no one with a real Black Lotus is going to just put it in a sleeve!! All alpha/beta cards (and most unlimited) will all be graded. Now, the above was graded a 9, but I've also seen an 8 sell for that price! I'm not going to get into the whole alpha/beta/unlimited thing -- you're welcome to look into that. BUT, those sets published back in 1993, are the only actual Black Lotus cards most people are interested in -- AND those are the only Black Lotus cards that are tournament legal. In 2022 (30th anniversary) Wizards reprinted the Black Lotus as a proxy card, and again, that is not tournament legal. That said, even those cards have been selling for a few thousand dollars -- which in my mind is crazy! Anyway, so there you go, hope that helped 🙂

There was man in Florida  who was murdered for his collection of MTG cards,

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Link said:

IMG_6674.jpeg

Those are fakes and reprints. The average price today for an original (alpha) Black Lotus is over $150k, and one sold for over $500k slabbed not too long ago. 

• Like 1