IGNORED

Game Debate #196: Crash Bandicoot 2

Rate it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

8/10

Played it more than any other Crash Bandicoot game, and remember I got it when it was released. Was listening to the game's soundtrack on Khinsider a month or two ago.

Still have the shirt that I got with the game in 1997: 

image.jpeg.dcbe1efb4e20df26228269565ec97f13.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

Easy 10 for me.  My absolute favorite of the series.  It took everything from the original and improved on it.  I believe 2 is more challenging than 1 in terms of level design, but I agree that 2 is much easier to 100% compared to 1.  The graphics still look beautiful today.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Easy 10 for me.  My absolute favorite of the series.  It took everything from the original and improved on it.  I believe 2 is more challenging than 1 in terms of level design, but I agree that 2 is much easier to 100% compared to 1.  The graphics still look beautiful today.  

Agreed. Crash 2 is the peak of the series. Crash 1 is definitely more challenging IMO but 2 is the perfect balance. 3 was too easy imo. Crash is one of my favorite series even through all the ups and downs. 10/10 easy.

Edited by AstralSoul

Just now, AstralSoul said:

Agreed. Crash 2 is the peak of the series. Crash 1 is definitely more challenging IMO but 2 is the perfect balance. 3 was too easy imo

I thought that 3 got hard at the end. I never beat it, but I beat the first two.

Played the first Crash (original and remaster) but never any of the sequels or spin-offs. The first game was fine enough as an early 3D platformer but didn't exactly blow me away. I own the N-sane Trilogy, so I guess that gives me an excuse to fire up Crash 2 at some point but it's not truly a priority for me.

50 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I have played all of those and 2 is the best of them all. Definitely found the right balance with 2.

I'm actually really curious why you'd think that. Do you think getting all boxes is more enjoyable when you can keep resetting at the latest checkpoint until you get them - banging your head against the wall, instead of needing to learn the stages and play well? I understand that it's probably more stress-free, but to me it just becomes tedium instead. 🙂 

Getting them all in Crash 2 really felt to me like I was just doing work, rather than playing a game. The worst part was when getting them relied on some obscure secret you couldn't possibly tell up-front, such as going to a different stage entirely and standing in an inconspicuous spot in order to get warped to the first stage, and get access to a bunch of crates there. That's just god damn weird!

Maybe it's just that I'm generally more into straight forward arcade-style video game with a gameplay focus, but I find the streamlined focus of Crash 1 way more enjoyable.

And as for all the things Crash 2 adds, I'd say 3 does the same thing, but better. 🙂

43 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I'm actually really curious why you'd think that. Do you think getting all boxes is more enjoyable when you can keep resetting at the latest checkpoint until you get them - banging your head against the wall, instead of needing to learn the stages and play well? I understand that it's probably more stress-free, but to me it just becomes tedium instead. 🙂 

Getting them all in Crash 2 really felt to me like I was just doing work, rather than playing a game. The worst part was when getting them relied on some obscure secret you couldn't possibly tell up-front, such as going to a different stage entirely and standing in an inconspicuous spot in order to get warped to the first stage, and get access to a bunch of crates there. That's just god damn weird!

Maybe it's just that I'm generally more into straight forward arcade-style video game with a gameplay focus, but I find the streamlined focus of Crash 1 way more enjoyable.

And as for all the things Crash 2 adds, I'd say 3 does the same thing, but better. 🙂

I didn’t go for a 100% so maybe that‘s where the difference is.

I enjoy the challenge of 1 but I overall find the levels in 2 to be more enjoyable. The environments look better and the gameplay is mixed up just enough not to feel tedious (like 3). The soundtrack is also the best.

For me it goes 2-1-4-3.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Brickman said:

I didn’t go for a 100% so maybe that‘s where the difference is.

That would definitely make a difference. 🙂 Without going for 100% I find neither of the games super enjoyable (fine, but nothing extraordinary). Getting the gems is definitely where it's at, and I highly recommend it (but that also introduces a whole array of issues with 4.... more on that soon 😛)

3 hours ago, Brickman said:

I enjoy the challenge of 1 but I overall find the levels in 2 to be more enjoyable. The environments look better and the gameplay is mixed up just enough not to feel tedious (like 3).

1 actually mixes up environment and stage themes more often than 2, which I felt was another strike against the second game, even if it's a admittedly a very minor complaint.
In the first game, each stage theme came with its own dedicated style of challenges which governed how that entire stage would play, and each of them were only repeated twice (one only appeared once, because the second occurance was canned, and reinstated in N.Sane Trilogy!). In Crash 2, most of them are used three times, which makes the game feel a bit more repetitive. 50% more to be exact 🤣

2 does look better than 1, but I think 3 feels extremely upgraded in that department. I'm not a fan of PS1 era 3D graphics in general, but Crash 3 is actually one of the few 3D PS1 games I think looks really nice.

Edited by Sumez

20 hours ago, koifish said:

4, never liked these games. Also bothers me when Crash is called 3D when the gameplay is clearly 2D. Recall seeing it and Mario 64 and had no trouble spotting the real 3D game. Stuck to mega drive for 2D, better design and control overall.

It may not be open world 3D, but you still move around in a 3D environment with 3D rendered graphics.  It's absolutely a 3D game.  

Edit:  Even the side scrolling levels allow you to move around in a 3D environment.  You have the ability to fall off ledges towards the screen or away from the screen.  

Edited by TDIRunner

57 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

It may not be open world 3D, but you still move around in a 3D environment with 3D rendered graphics.  It's absolutely a 3D game.  

As someone who loves the game he's about to mention, this game is far more 3D than a game like Final Fantasy VII... or VIII... or IX.