IGNORED

Xbox and Game Pass

Xbox Game Pass, who has it?

Now let me start by saying I love collecting Nintendo stuff, especially for Switch.  

However I can’t help but appreciate the Game Pass.

There are so many games I want to get for Switch, that are on Game Pass (just downloaded Blazing Chrome, some Resident Evils and Super Luckys Tale as an example).

I also find that having a gold subscription seems to have better sales.  Just bought the contra collection for half price, and I’ve been waiting for it to go on sale on switch forever.

Open discussion as always.

• Like 1

I think this is hands-down the best value in gaming right now. Having triple-A games like Gears 5, Forza 4, and Outer Worlds available on day one is kind of insane and justifies the cost. Then you add on a couple hundred indies, older triple-A games, quality second tier games, and backward compatible games and the library is quite impressive.

It's cliched to say, but it just works. I'm convinced that this is a good thing and I'm finally ready to ditch physical media for the next gen. Spotify got me to give up buying CDs and embrace digital. Game Pass is doing the same thing for games.

• Like 1

I couldn’t agree more on the value.  You’re completely right, when I was playing Gears 5 a couple of months ago 4 days before launch date (because the Ultimate Edition gave you early access and THAT was the version on Game Pass), and I thought to myself.... In past years I would have spent $100 or whatever on this game on launch day...... more than justifies it.  But that’s only one game.  It’s crazy.  

16 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Would it be crazy to cancel Netflix and just pay for game pass instead? Seems like a good choice right?

They are both awesome values and can both be cancelled and restarted at will. So maybe alternate? You'll never watch everything on Netflix or play everything on Game Pass, so it's win-win.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Would it be crazy to cancel Netflix and just pay for game pass instead? Seems like a good choice right?

Now is the perfect time to jump into Game Pass, Microsoft is offering a 3-month subscription for $1 as a Black Friday deal: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/cfq7ttc0khs0?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

11 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Gamepass is fantastic.  I played Minit on it a while back and am working through The Outer Worlds now.  I love it at $1 but will likely keep it once the prices change.  It's much cheaper than playing a game, letting it sit on your shelf, then deciding to trade it in for $5. 

I'm loving Outer Worlds right now. It would be awesome to play on Switch since it's slower paced, but it's a great looking game on the big screen and I didn't want to wait. I also just downloaded Subnautica, Minit, and Afterparty to play as pallette cleansers between big games. That's probably my favorite part of Game Pass (beside saving money); alternating between big budget, full-scale games and indies.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm loving Outer Worlds right now. It would be awesome to play on Switch since it's slower paced, but it's a great looking game on the big screen and I didn't want to wait. I also just downloaded Subnautica, Minit, and Afterparty to play as pallette cleansers between big games. That's probably my favorite part of Game Pass (beside saving money); alternating between big budget, full-scale games and indies.

I really like that Outer Worlds feels like a contained fallout.  It's great not feeling like I'm going to get lost for the next 100 hours.  They only put the best ideas into it and it shows with how much character the world has.

Gamepass is great for that.  Perfect balance of AAA and short indie stuff. 

• Like 1

I have it on PC. It's perfect for me, because I don't care enough about modern games to pay full price for anything, and there's more modern stuff than I'll ever have time to play, so I can just dabble in the top cuts in the game pass library. I'm currently going through The Messenger. Getting to play the game locally installed rather than through some stupid streaming service is of course what makes it compared to crap like Stadia or PS Now.

It's even great just to demo games. Everyone talked up the West of Loathing game and for "free" I learned I don't like it and got to play something else instead!

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

I have it until 2021 or 2022, that happened when they changed to ultimate game pass, but I don’t remember why it’s signed up for so long.  Not complaining though!  What’s interesting is the new Xbox comes out next holiday season so it sounds like that will have game pass too.

Playing some Guacamelee this morning from game pass.  Guacamelee 2 is on there as well!  Sweet!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 11:35 PM, Prime2099 said:

I got it as well and am signed up till 2022. I hadn't bought a game in months until last week when I got Jedi Fallen Order, so I love it.

Fallen Order or Control will be my first non Game Pass game in months. Still loving Outer Worlds so I'm taking my time and enjoying the atmosphere and conversations. It's the polar opposite of RDR 2 where I hated the conversations because the story got so dumb.

8 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Fallen Order or Control will be my first non Game Pass game in months. Still loving Outer Worlds so I'm taking my time and enjoying the atmosphere and conversations. It's the polar opposite of RDR 2 where I hated the conversations because the story got so dumb.

Control looks good too! I love games by Remedy so I am looking forward to that one as well!

• Like 1

I feel like the Game Pass is PERFECT for dedicated Xbone/PC players.  If that was all I had, I'd probably be in sweet Game Pass ecstasy, but jam on my Switch and PS4 a lot when I get free time.  I have a free 30 day trial or something, but can't even commit to redeeming that until I want to give it a fair spin.

Can't they all join eshop forces and come out with an all mighty Xbox/PS4/Nintendo/PC game pass?!?!?!?!

I’ve been rocking gamepass recently too! Raged the mega SOTN rip off, ROTN (not hating, I loved bloodstained) and working on momodora for the second time. It’s a crazy good deal, tho they don’t have games I want all the time. But they have some zingers right now for sure.

Edited by 8-bit guerilla

• 6 months later...

Had to revive this thread to tell everyone to go play Blazing Chrome and Outer Wilds.

Blazing Chrome is a fantastic Contra/Metal Slug homage. It's short and sweet, but totally worth a playthrough just to experience the mayhem of levels 5 and 6. The controls are perfect, the art is fantastic, and the soundtrack is rocking. After you beat the game you unlock two melee characters which completely change the game.

Outer Wilds is something wholly unique. It's a detective game wrapped in a space exploration adventure. It won a ton of GOTY awards and it actually does live up to the hype. There is no leveling, no experience, and no fighting. The only thing you gain as you play is knowledge and skills which will help you unravel the mysteries of the universe. It has a bit of a slow start because you're given no guidance and there is no handholding, but once you start navigating the solar system like a pro, you'll be hooked. I HIGHLY recommend playing without a guide. The joy of discovery as you start to put all the disparate pieces together is unlike anything I've ever experienced in a videogame. If you're feeling stuck, please reach out and I'd happily give you a subtle hint so you can keep on moving forward.

Play these games!

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wyansas said:

I've realized over the past couple of generations I like the Xbox controller and Xbox ecosystem the most out of the three and since it got Gamepass and backwards compatibility, I've been playing on Xbox way more than the other two.

Agreed. The service makes me way more likely to try new stuff since the barrier to entry is essentially zero. I pretty much only play on Xbox except for the rare PS4 or Switch exclusive.

• 3 months later...

Not my thing, since I like physical games, but I have to say this has glowing reviews... here's one at any rate

https://www.businessinsider.com/hands-on-with-xbox-game-pass-streaming-2020-10

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo and Sony are working on something similar. Seems like a win-win for gamers, even if it's not my thing.

Screenshot from 2020-10-06 20-16-52.png