IGNORED

2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Super Mario 3

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen... WE ARE BACK FOR MORE!!!

@guillavoie and I have the pleasure and honour to host the 2024 season of the VGS NES Weekly Contest!

And to start this season strong, we bring in Super Mario 3 for our contestants to prove their mettle!

The rules for SMB3 are:

• Play world 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 and 1-4
  • For each stage, right before the end of the stage, with Mario inside the black area and the end of stage box visible, pause the game and take your picture
  • You can do 1-3 and 1-4 in any order you want
  • You can use the p-wing in 1-3 if you trigger the white mushroom house at 1-4
  • You must do all stages in one run and in one life. If you die, take a picture and your run ends.
  • You can't collect the same coin twice.
  • You can't use the N spade card to collect more coins. Only coins inside the four worlds listed are valid.
  • Highest sum of coins collected in all 4 worlds wins, with highest sum of time left for all 4 stages used as tie break
  • Genre: Action

Now get into the game and show your plumbing skills! Here's to a good 2024 season!

The contest ends Sunday, 03/24/24 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Love 3

Events Team · Posted
1st PII 226/926
2nd Gaia Gensouki 226/892
3rd NESfiend 226/888
4th JamesRobot 225/898
5th Seppatoni 221/925
6th Jeevan 189/880
7th SuperJimtendo 177/883
8th a3quit4s 172/816
9th Murray 148/903
10th G-type 142/694
11th skinnygrinny 73/764

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Interesting ruleset, I like the time remaining time break. 

I didn't want turtle hopping to make or break a run, so I had to come up with something different.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, RH said:

If we collect 100+ coins in a stage, should we pause before we 1-up and take a photo?

I’m not sure if this is possible, but just in case.

You will loop the coins number at around world 1-4 or 1-3. There is no stage in that list that has 100+ coins. The coin numbers are below:

World 1-1 has 57 coins
World 1-2 has 31 coins
World 1-3 has over 76 coins (up to 94, I think, from coin blocks).
World 1-4 has over 29 coins (up to 47 from coin blocks, I believe, but it is almost impossible to get 10 coins from the last block).

If you post the pictures in order, it will be easy to see that you looped it.
Don't forget to post the sum of your coins and the sum of your time left at the end of the stages for easier tailing for me.
And that only scores posted from tomorrow will be valid.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, G-type said:

Guess I’m dumb for only reading the first post and thinking it has started. I don’t think I will be redoing it.

Don't say that, who the hell read the rules anyway, haha! You still have a full week to think about it my good man!

Also, if you post scores later, make sure to take your pics before jumping on the stage box, we also need to see the time left on the clock for each stage.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
6 hours ago, BeaIank said:

You will loop the coins number at around world 1-4 or 1-3. There is no stage in that list that has 100+ coins. The coin numbers are below:

World 1-1 has 57 coins
World 1-2 has 31 coins
World 1-3 has over 76 coins (up to 94, I think, from coin blocks).
World 1-4 has over 29 coins (up to 47 from coin blocks, I believe, but it is almost impossible to get 10 coins from the last block).

If you post the pictures in order, it will be easy to see that you looped it.
Don't forget to post the sum of your coins and the sum of your time left at the end of the stages for easier tailing for me.
And that only scores posted from tomorrow will be valid.

I'm able to get over 130 coins on one of the levels.

Events Team · Posted

$225; 898 time remaining

Prior to rule change: $536; 282 time remaining

1-1: $59 ; 252 remaining

K4nc88K.jpg

1-2: +$34 = $93 ; 240 remaining 

MtpEC9m.jpg

1-3: +$87 = $180; 187remaining

XWDdjyY.jpg

1-4: +$45 = $225; 219 remaining 

7T1zMAp.jpg

Final total: $225; 898 remaining

IDljWVH.jpg

Edited by JamesRobot

7 hours ago, BeaIank said:

You will loop the coins number at around world 1-4 or 1-3. There is no stage in that list that has 100+ coins.

Coins reset after pipes.  Unless you feel like amending the rules early, people are going to be needing to post many, many photos...

Events Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Coins reset after pipes.  Unless you feel like amending the rules early, people are going to be needing to post many, many photos...

Easily fixed by adding a rule that you can't collect the same coin twice. Done.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Easily fixed by adding a rule that you can't collect the same coin twice. Done.

I wasn’t able to experiment but this is what I thought happened and it’s what I was going to try to do.  Trading time for coins seemed like a working strategy.

If we didn’t have this new rule, it would make it more of a speed run challenge which, personally, I wouldn’t disapprove of.

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, RH said:

If we didn’t have this new rule, it would make it more of a speed run challenge which, personally, I wouldn’t disapprove of.

It works better as a speed run challenge this way as it is coin count first, time second. So now you have to strategize how to collect all the stage coins in the least time.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

It works better as a speed run challenge this way as it is coin count first, time second. So now you have to strategize how to collect all the stage coins in the least time.

Of course, we can try to make this more fun by using highest sum of coins + time left wins it, allowing for even more strategy during the runs, but this would require more pictures or videos for people who would prefer to record the whole thing.
Since it is the first day, we can still tweak the rules a bit more.
Up to you guys. What do you prefer.

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

@BeaIank @guillavoie, If I were to partake in this would the name being on screen be sufficient if I were to like stream this instead of taking photos?  Just curious, I MIGHT give it a go at some point.

I will defer the final decision to @guillavoie but if it is a screencap of a stream of yours, it is good on my book.
But Gui has the final word here.

• Thanks 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I will defer the final decision to @guillavoie but if it is a screencap of a stream of yours, it is good on my book.
But Gui has the final word here.

@guillavoie I would probably post the timestamps of each area that would need to be seen and upload the whole vod link here, just for reference.

• Agree 1