IGNORED

2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Super Mario 3

BeaIank

30 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

@NESfiend lol I thought yesterday was the last day

Would have been a pretty rough turnout for smb3 in week 1. Plenty of time for a deathless run from the skinny man. Now that the truck has been removed, all things are possible

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I had never seen or heard of a white mushroom house before reading the rules. Ive made it pop up like 50 times and its still blowing my mind seeing it. Did you all know about this phenomenon before now?

yes, git gud scrub 😏  subscribe to nintendo power and u will know all the secrets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I had never seen or heard of a white mushroom house before reading the rules. Ive made it pop up like 50 times and its still blowing my mind seeing it. Did you all know about this phenomenon before now?

Don’t forget the Coin Ship.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
45 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

I have some questions for everyone. 

How often do you play these games outside of playing in the tournament?

How often do you play retro games for fun in your every day lives?

When was the last time you played world 4-1 of this game?

I regularly, near daily, play retro games. As for 4-1, I recently played through the game on All-stars, if you wanna count that (I played and beat every game on the compilation), so a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Events Team · Posted
52 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Right now the only game I get to play is iRacing because I can drive one handed on my sim rig.
I hope I can get back to them soon.

• Love 1

Peer pressure works regardless of age. I shamed @PII into posting a score before Sunday. I challenge others to do the same. It will motivate people to keep playing and posting!

As for jims inquiry, I play my nes most days for at least a little while at night, even if its only 20 minutes. It usually is for this contest or the beat every nes game every year thread, but def not always.

Hadn't played smb3 in a long while, but thats because I wore it out early in life. This challenge is fun because just beating the game got too easy years ago. This makes for a totally new and different experience with an old classic

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
5 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

I recently played through the game twice, 4-1 both times, unless u meant 1-4, then just for contest.  I played with the all p wings after beating the game for fun.

• Like 1

I don't generally play much of anything outside of the contest anymore. Not retro. Not modern. Today I sat down and played just for the sake of playing and it felt nice. World 4's map music is dope. And stage 4-1 was such a mind blowing level as a kid. Used to get so caught up in using the flutes to skip to the end and missing out on just how great this game really is. Untitled_Artwork.png.fae42893e59547d98063c13209ed42d8.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SuperJimtendo said:

I don't generally play much of anything outside of the contest anymore. Not retro. Not modern. Today I sat down and played just for the sake of playing and it felt nice. World 4's map music is dope. And stage 4-1 was such a mind blowing level as a kid. Used to get so caught up in using the flutes to skip to the end and missing out on just how great this game really is. Untitled_Artwork.png.fae42893e59547d98063c13209ed42d8.png

World 4 blew my mind as a kid. Id usually warp whistle through, but I warped to 4 and hung out there a lot. I also really loved world 5. Go down that rabbit hole if you haven't in a long time. My vote for the most fun world for sure.

Also liked going to the island on 3 and doing the 100 lives trick there. I remember many times playing with the intent to whistle through, but playing through 2 for second warp whistle, 3 for 100 lives, 4 for big world and to get to 5, then skipping 6 and 7 to finish it off. 7 is a fun challenge if you never spent time on it. Arguably tougher than 8

Events Helper · Posted
9 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

That is part of the reason I played it, hadn't seen every world for awhile.  much easier with p wings, but I did the first playthrough with a lot of deaths in world 8 lol.  

I still prefer smw, but it's because I played it more and am more familiar with it, but smb3 is starting to grow on me a bit more.

3 hours ago, Murray said:

Why does Murray have to take all these pictures 😒 Can we get a rule change? 

New Rule: All gamers who refer to themselves in the 3rd person must now post no less than 8 photos of their progress. 😉  

• Haha 3

I think all stages shine in their own way, but there's something about that 3-to-5 stretch of worlds that are just perfect SMB 2D design.

But world 4 was insane as a kid.  I remember playing that for the first time and being blown away by how novel and awesome the concept was.

Edited by RH
  • Agree 1