IGNORED

Favorite NES Mega Man Game in 2024

Favorite NES Mega Man Game in 2024?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite NES Mega Man Game in 2024?

• Mega Man
    • Mega Man 2
    • Mega Man 3
    • Mega Man 4
    • Mega Man 5
    • Mega Man 6

I was always partial to 3 growing up. On any given day, 2 and 3 are more or less tied for my favorites with 5 being close behind. 

1. Mega Man 3
  2. Mega Man 2
  3. Mega Man 5
  4. Mega Man
  5. Mega Man 4
  6. Mega Man 6

I like all the games, but there's a pretty big drop off in my rankings above between the original and then 4 and 6. 

Edited by Rhuno
  • Like 1

I'm sure I can't be the only one who experiences this but TBH, I can't remember the bosses for MM4-6. I could list off a handful of them, maybe a dozen or more, but I couldn't identify which of the 3 games they came from. I remember bits and pieces of the mechanics, like the Rush options, but very little else. I can't remember almost any of the music.

MM2 & 3 will always be my favorites. I know all the bosses, their weaknesses, all the songs, all the places where you use all the special items, where the e tanks are, everything.

I'd have to say MM3 -> MM2 -> MM -> The rest. I'd probably say 5 -> 6 -> 4, but TBH it's been too long since I played them to say that definitively.

• Like 1

4 is my favorite. It's when it finally feels put together. The ability to both charge and slide makes it seem complete. Is it even a Mega Man game if you're not holding the B button for whatever the next screen may or may not have in store for you?

1 is the starter pack. 
2 is very much a fully formed version of 1. 
3 feels mostly like MM2 DLC. more of what came before. btw, Snake Man's stage is probably my favorite backgrounds of the entire series.

5 feels very "same-y". Not a knock, it just doesn't do anything that sets it apart.
6 feels like it's trying to return to form, and the new Rush options are interesting, but doesn't quite capitalize or mix it up enough.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

Funny you mention it twiz, because I think the charged up shot basically ruined all the future entries, because you're constantly holding the button and then almost anything in the game dies to a single shot, including usually multiple enemies in a single shot.

It totally eliminates any skill from previous games, especially since the charged shot is like 10x the size of a regular buster shot. No need to aim, mash, or prioritize targets, just blast absolutely everything away with charged shots. Plus listening to the charge sound for hours straight.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

4 is my favorite. It's when it finally feels put together. The ability to both charge and slide makes it seem complete. Is it even a Mega Man game if you're not holding the B button for whatever the next screen may or may not have in store for you?

1 is the starter pack. 
2 is very much a fully formed version of 1. 
3 feels mostly like MM2 DLC. more of what came before. btw, Snake Man's stage is probably my favorite backgrounds of the entire series.

5 feels very "same-y". Not a knock, it just doesn't do anything that sets it apart.
6 feels like it's trying to return to form, and the new Rush options are interesting, but doesn't quite capitalize or mix it up enough.

4 and 6 are my personal favorites. I feel 2 is massively flawed given you can soft lock yourself in the last area. 3 is half-baked to me. They both have fantastic OSTs though.

There's just something about 4 and 6. I agree that 4 feels like it's the first "real" entry somehow. It seems to do everything right. 5 is a tad easy. 6 has some magic that keeps me coming back

I had no idea there were do many MM threads. I was on my phone making this poll and did a search and no other threads showed up for Mega Man lmao.

• Like 3

Guests · Posted

My personal favorite is definitely 5. Although not the best from a critiquing perspective, I still have a lot of nostalgia for it.

Graphics Team · Posted
15 hours ago, NostalgicMachine said:

Now I feel bad I didn't see those lmao.

IGNORE MEH.

Don't feel bad - for every 1 person that gets upset at repeat threads, there's another person who missed it the first time around and yet another person who's more than happy to share their thoughts again.

Anyway - these semi-frequent "NES Mega Man" threads are a good reminder for me to actually get around to playing all the games haha.

[T-Pac]

• Love 2

2 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Don't feel bad - for every 1 person that gets upset at repeat threads, there's another person who missed it the first time around and yet another person who's more than happy to share their thoughts again.

Anyway - these semi-frequent "NES Mega Man" threads are a good reminder for me to actually get around to playing all the games haha.

[T-Pac]

Thank you and it truly is an ever-green series, lol. I find myself gravitating to 4-6 more than 1-3 as time goes on. I feel like the latter half of the hexology (AVGN's words lol) is criminally overlooked while the first half is given a crazy pass on objectively bad design/soft lock issues due to nostalgia glasses, etc.

2 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Also - Darkwing Duck is the best NES Mega Man game.

[T-Pac]

I've yet to play this entry! Is it Japanese release only?! 😆