IGNORED

Special Movie Debate: AFI 100 Years 100 Movies

Reed Rothchild

How many of the AFI "100 Years 100 Movies" have you seen?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. #1-25

2. 2. #26-50

• Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    • High Noon
    • All About Eve
    • Double Indemnity
    • Apocalypse Now
    • The Maltese Falcon
    • The Godfather Part II
    • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    • Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
    • Annie Hall
    • The Bridge on the River Kwai
    • The Best Years of Our Lives
    • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    • Dr. Strangelove
    • The Sound of Music
    • King Kong
    • Bonnie and Clyde
    • Midnight Cowboy
    • The Philadelphia Story
    • Shane
    • It Happened One Night
    • A Streetcar Named Desire
    • Rear Window
    • Intolerance
    • The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring
  3. 3. #51-75

• West Side Story
    • Taxi Driver
    • The Deer Hunter
    • M*A*S*H
    • North by Northwest
    • Jaws
    • Rocky
    • The Gold Rush
    • Nashville
    • Duck Soup
    • Sullivan's Travels
    • American Graffiti
    • Cabaret
    • Network
    • The African Queen
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
    • Unforgiven
    • Tootsie
    • A Clockwork Orange
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • The Shawshank Redemption
    • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    • The Silence of the Lambs
    • In the Heat of the Night
  4. 4. #76-109

• Forrest Gump
    • All the President's Men
    • Modern Times
    • The Wild Bunch
    • The Apartment
    • Spartacus
    • Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
    • Titanic
    • Easy Rider
    • A Night at the Opera
    • Platoon
    • 12 Angry Men
    • Bringing Up Baby
    • The Sixth Sense
    • Swing Time
    • Sophie's Choice
    • Goodfellas
    • The French Connection
    • Pulp Fiction
    • The Last Picture Show
    • Do the Right Thing
    • Blade Runner
    • Yankee Doodle Dandy
    • Toy Story
    • Ben-Hur

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, RH said:

@Reed Rothchild If this is a hidden attempt to find out which movies we should rate based off of viewership counts, it looks like next up should be The Wizard of Oz, Titanic or Toy Story, which are all tied with 17 people having seen them (as of right now.)

I find that interesting because I find WoZ to be moderately enjoyable but primarily worth watching for the history, Titanic is just a spectacle to behold and not much more but Toy Story kind of captures all important factors for a timeless classic.  It has historical importance, but also an excellent and creative story.  It maintains being an excellent film worth watching even if it's over 30 years old and the graphics are considerably dated.

They (and every other notable film) are on the list.  The very long list.  I try to balance the ones everyone knows with the cultish stuff like In Bruges or Henry and so forth.

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

If you haven't seen it you might want to check this out:

Obviously much more modestly funded it delivers quite a punch with more storylines to invest in than just the one main one in Titanic.  

I actually just re-watched The Titanic (1953) the other night. 

Events Team · Posted

Almost saw them all, and it is kind of funny that most of the ones I haven't seen are like super popular movies, lol.

Unseen = Star Wars - E. T. - The Sound of Music - Intolerance (my bad here, it is quite a lengthy silent film) - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowships of the Ring - Jaws - In the Heat of the Night - All the President's Men - A Night at the Opera - Swing Time - Sophie's Choice

And I seen like a lot of scenes from most of these movies, I just never sat down and watched them from beginning to end.

• Wow! 2

Events Team · Posted
17 hours ago, doner24 said:

100- I started going after the list in the fall of 1999 after watching 12 Angry Men in my dorm room. Finished the original 1998 list, the 10th anniversary list, 100 Laughs, 100 Thrills and 100 Passions as well over the years from AFI. Currently working on world wide lists like the Time 100 and 1001 Movies to see before you die. A lot of incredible movies I would’ve never given a chance without the lists. 

Those lists are indeed very useful to catch movies you wouldn't otherwise. It is also cool when there's like a summary of the plot just to tease you.

What I used to do a lot is when I get to know a director/screenwriter I really like, I try to watch almost all of the movies he worked on.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
9 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Those lists are indeed very useful to catch movies you wouldn't otherwise. It is also cool when there's like a summary of the plot just to tease you.

What I used to do a lot is when I get to know a director/screenwriter I really like, I try to watch almost all of the movies he worked on.

Yeah, I do the same with Directors and Actors/Actresses. Have ran through the majority of the filmographies of quite a few now like Sturges, Capra, Hawks, Ford, Hitchcock, Bergman, Chaplin, Miyazaki, Kurosawa, and Kubrick for directors, now working my way through Tarkovsky. On the acting front I’ve seen nearly every movie of Grant, Stewart, Dunne, Arthur, Bogart, both Hepburns and Wayne. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, doner24 said:

Yeah, I do the same with Directors and Actors/Actresses. Have ran through the majority of the filmographies of quite a few now like Sturges, Capra, Hawks, Ford, Hitchcock, Bergman, Chaplin, Miyazaki, Kurosawa, and Kubrick for directors, now working my way through Tarkovsky. On the acting front I’ve seen nearly every movie of Grant, Stewart, Dunne, Arthur, Bogart, both Hepburns and Wayne. 

I've seen all 4 Ip Man movies.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, doner24 said:

All I have time for lately with a toddler is watching the full filmography of Miss Rachel over and over and over. 

I've been in a constant loop of wake up, apply to jobs, distract myself with video games, eat dinner, games, sleep. I feel like if I stop to watch something right now I'll fall apart mentally, being unemployed is mega stressful. 

Building up quite the backlog of movies to watch lol. 

• Sad 1