IGNORED

Favourite soundtrack?

I have to admit that even as someone who plays an insane amount of classic games (compared to normal people), I really don't have much love for classic game soundtracks.  I don't typically like listening to any soundtracks.  I appreciate them during the game or movie, but I don't want to listen to them outside of the game.  For example - I really thought that the music in The Last of Us II added a lot of excitement and atmosphere to the game, but I would never seek it out to listen again.

Anyway, I know how this conversation goes most of the time, and I see the usual mentions.  To represent the C64 means usually bowing down to the great Rob Hubbard who made many great songs, although I'd stop short of probably referring to them as "soundtracks."  His best are probably on Commando and International Karate.

But as an alternative to Hubbard, I'd offer the C64 version of World Games.  It has unique songs themed for the host countries for all the events and really makes the SID chip shine.  The NES version of World Games might do the same, but I haven't fired that one up for a very long time, so can't say if it is as good.

Edited by wongojack

That is a really tough question! A few of my very favorites (I'm sure I left some off):

• Castlevania
  • Castlevania III
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
  • Mega Man 2
  • Mega Man 3
  • Secret of Mana
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Contra
  • Thunder Force III
  • Jet Grind Radio
  • Space Harrier

There are tons more I could list and tons more I could remember to list, I'm sure. It's hard to really pick one that's the very best. Any of these could be in the running on any given day. I will say, though, that I do have the full soundtracks of a few of them ready for listening outside of game playing: Symphony of the Night, Secret of Mana, and Jet Grind Radio. Same for several Castlevania original/remix albums.

Edited by elprincipe

• 2 weeks later...
Graphics Team · Posted

I wish I paid more attention to game soundtracks, but I'm usually too focused on the gameplay and visuals.

That being said - the "password theme" in The Guardian Legend [NES] is the best thing ever.

[T-Pac]

9 hours ago, T-Pac said:

I wish I paid more attention to game soundtracks, but I'm usually too focused on the gameplay and visuals.

That being said - the "password theme" in The Guardian Legend [NES] is the best thing ever.

[T-Pac]

With your Blaster Master video, I thought you would have said Blaster Master! It has an amazing soundtrack 🙂

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t much of a music fan when back in the 90s, particularly when it came to the gaming. Most of the music I’ve heard from games I can barely remember but I did enjoy Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi, Sonic and Castlevania Symphony of Night.

Up until more recently, I came upon a clip on YouTube:

When I saw this video, I could instantly recall the music from the title screen, to the varying stages of the characters Balrog, Guile and Ken. It was like I was instantly time warped into the past! The impacts of the sounds and music never really hit me up until now, and no doubt had played a crucial role in me having such fond memories of this game.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
10 hours ago, elprincipe said:

With your Blaster Master video, I thought you would have said Blaster Master! It has an amazing soundtrack 🙂

Can't deny that - Sunsoft has a great track record of NES music for sure!

[T-Pac]