IGNORED

Favourite soundtrack?

Events Team · Posted

Oh jeez, I dunno that I could narrow it down to one honestly. Some of my favorites include many of the Castlevania games, some of the Zelda games, the DKC games, Sonic Mania, Payday 2, DOOM 2016 & DOOM Eternal, Terraria, Subnautica... that's a tough question.
I suppose, of those options, the soundtrack I go back and listen to most often would be Payday 2, so I guess gun to my head, I have to pick one and only one, it would be that one.

Spoiler

And many, many, many more.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

She I’m not sure how to narrow this down. I’m so many genres. 

some no-brainers right off the bat:

• shadow of the colossus
  • journey
  • FEZ
  • hyper light drifter
  • Mega man (basically all of them)
  • deaths door
  • tunic
  • baldurs gate 3

im sure I could list 3x more if I looked at my digital library. 

• Like 3

I'd have to think loooong and hard to pick just one.  I listened to Octopath Traveler a LOT and it still holds up well.  I especially like the tunes for the ice region but they all hold up thematically quite well.  I don't take a lot of interest in many, new SE titles these days but I feel like their soundtracks have consistently gotten better with time.

An old school choice is Xenogears.  It provided excellent atmosphere for an environment that spanned both an archaic world that also had futuristic technology.  Of course, I feel like Final Fantasy Tactics has the best intro movie and title screen music of all time.  I can listen to both songs on repeat.

For non-Squaresoft OSTs, I've actually found myself listening to Albert Odyssey for the Saturn a bunch over the years, as well as the Suikoden II OST.  Last, Batman on the NES is often referenced as a good chiptune OST, but it is.  I love the whole thing start to finish and it's by far my favorite chiptune OST.

If I had to pick just one of the above I think I'd have to choose... hmmm... Octopath Traveler.  I think it's less because I think it's the best out there but more because it has over 100 songs, IIRC, and they are almost all 100% excellent.  Don't get me wrong, it's excellent, but I am choosing a bit of quantity over quality.  Ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably choose Xenogears.  Maybe it's a tie between the too.

• Like 1

Oh, and on the topic of killer sound tracks, has anyone downloaded and played Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster?  I'm playing it on my iPhone. I just finished the opera.  They actually incorporated actual singing.  I loved it for what it was.  But  you original fans, how do you feel about this?  Have you heard or seen this updated scene?  I'd probably prefer the original if I played it first, but all things considered, I've enjoyed the updated OST.

Some of my favorite soundtracks alphabetically:

• Akumajou Densetsu
  • Armored Core 2
  • Axelay
  • Bayonetta
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
  • eXceed 3rd - JADE PENETRATE -
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Furi
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi EXTRA
  • Langrisser II
  • Lufia: The Legend Returns
  • Mamorukun Curse!
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Mushihimesama Futari
  • Old School Musical
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Shining Force II
  • Sonic Mania
  • Star Ocean: The Second Story
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Suikoden Tierkreis
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
  • Wild ARMs
  • Xeno Crisis

Hmm. So you can count me among the people who can't pick only one. 

When I was a kid, Mega Man 2. I put my tape recorder in front of the TV for that. 

Now? I'll just say that I've never bought a game soundtrack but I've considered it for TMNT: Shredder's Revenge.

• Like 1

Chrono Cross is my all time favorite, but I also like the Halo theme, Mega Man 3 and Castlevania 4 (the first stage in particular). The third stage in Castlevania 4 always makes me laugh with the weird jazz number that kicks in. 😅

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

There was like this one jam in Axiom Verge that I couldn’t get out of my head for the longest time lol

edit: Inexorable

This is the only sound track I have on vinyl. I would have more but I happened to catch it on LRG, so I got it for retail. I’m not into spending $75 or more for records.  This one doesn’t go for that much but still, I’m glad I got it for about $30.

2 hours ago, RH said:

This is the only sound track I have on vinyl. I would have more but I happened to catch it on LRG, so I got it for retail. I’m not into spending $75 or more for records.  This one doesn’t go for that much but still, I’m glad I got it for about $30.

I listened to a couple of the other tracks since I was looking for that song - it has a damn fine soundtrack. Nice pickup on vinyl 

My straightforward answer would be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. I like the music in that game a lot more than the main series Pokemon games (though those games have solid music too)

If I felt like cheating I'd go with Super Smash Bros Ultimate since it essentially has a bunch of other game soundtracks baked into it

I also really like the Fusion Disk arranged soundtrack to Megami Tensei II, but that's for a game I haven't played, and its arranged so it doesn't really count

I could listen to this all day though