IGNORED

VGS Cooking Club: The Fast Food Inspired (Jan 2024)

Gloves

January 2024 Poll  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to eat next?

• Ramen
    • Meatloaf
    • Shepherd's Pie
    • Cornbread
    • Eggs
    • Fast Food Inspired Creations
    • Poutine
    • Other (please comment in the thread)

3 hours ago, PII said:

I gave up frying pretty quick and always bake, but the mayo thing sounds like it would work really good for frying...

Here's the first such recipe I read

https://www.theseasonedmom.com/cornflake-chicken/

I was just looking for how to do a corn flake coating and found that. It goes by baking. lmk if you try frying with a mayo-based coat! I would keep testing except I really can't eat this stuff very often ⚖️ 

🤔 Mayo doesn't become solid when it cooks like egg does. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Link said:

lmk if you try frying with a mayo-based coat! I would keep testing except I really can't eat this stuff very often ⚖️ 

🤔 Mayo doesn't become solid when it cooks like egg does. 

Oh, you're right.  I'm remembering now the mayo coating I used on my first grilled cheese produced a lot of oil in the pan.. not sure why I was thinking that would work with frying, but I'll probably try that recipe and bake it...

• Like 1

@Link Well, I didn't think I'd get to this right away, but I got in the mood to take some time making and eating chicken strips tonight so I went ahead and tried the "Mayo-Method."  It took a little longer to do than simply using egg, but I'm not sorry I made the effort.  I remember noticing that beer-battered fish has this incredible texture between the breading and the fish where each of those two things are melding into one, and I got a somewhat similar sort of effect albeit to a lesser extent by using the mayo in place of egg.  also the Breadcrumbs were a little more as though it had been deep-fried due to the oil in the mayo.  All in all pretty darn delicious.  I used a combo of Panko, Cornflake and Graham Cracker Crumbs.  And I whipped up a bowl of "Comeback Sauce" for dipping.

I think I like the idea of people coming back to the older cooking club threads at any future point whenever it is that they've got something that fits to show off...

CHICKEN STRIPS ALA MAYO 1.png

1 hour ago, Link said:

Nice! Did the breading solidify?

Yeah, I had my doubts but it worked just as well as egg in that regard, maybe even a bit better.  I baked 'em at 425˚.  Whenever I get around to trying the mayo-method again I'll try it at 450˚ for comparison.