IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 665/677

Took a lot less practice than I thought...Volleyball is done.  At some point I realized I could relatively consistently get points off the serve when my team was on the left court.  It required near pixel perfect timing, but it was doable.  Just had to get good enough to get the ball back whenever I missed the timing.  I ended up winning in four sets, losing the second set but sweeping the third.  The fourth was pretty tight, as it required me to actually get points the "proper" way, but I was occasionally getting points on serves there too, which helped.  Most of my points in that set came from blocking their spikes, but that was also a bit of a crapshoot because it required almost perfect timing as well to execute.  All told, it's actually a pretty fun game overall, just kinda tough to get the hang of.

Also, this was one of the rare instances where I wanted to snap a photo.  Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough to get it out before it transitioned back to the title screen.  C'est la vie.

Events Helper · Posted

Space Shuttle Project done, not sub hour yet, but 4 mins. off that, and working on it, stupid deaths here, so there is plenty of room to improve for a sub 1 hour run!  

Still processing, but it will be processed within the hour for proof.
@spacepup was there to watch it and can verify i beat it 😉

Edited by Jeevan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Took a lot less practice than I thought...Volleyball is done.  At some point I realized I could relatively consistently get points off the serve when my team was on the left court.  It required near pixel perfect timing, but it was doable.  Just had to get good enough to get the ball back whenever I missed the timing.  I ended up winning in four sets, losing the second set but sweeping the third.  The fourth was pretty tight, as it required me to actually get points the "proper" way, but I was occasionally getting points on serves there too, which helped.  Most of my points in that set came from blocking their spikes, but that was also a bit of a crapshoot because it required almost perfect timing as well to execute.  All told, it's actually a pretty fun game overall, just kinda tough to get the hang of.

I'm glad you got that one finished so I didn't have to do it this year. It doesn't take that long to win a game, but the precision timing and difficult controls really take any potential fun out of it. Volleyball is probably my least favorite black box game. Stack Up and DK Jr. Math might be worse, but those barely even qualify as games. 

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 448/677

I still have almost 50 games left on my list of games I'd like to beat this year that are still on the list. Some for points, some first time clears for me personally. That definitely won't happen, I'm sure other people will clear half+ of them before I get to them, but they should get done one way or the other.

I think we're gonna crush it this year! Maybe once we finish the list we can add bonus games later in the year to celebrate.

3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Wow its not even Feb and almost 200 games left?  That seems pretty crazy to me.

Looks can be deceiving though; the last 100 are such a pain in the ass that it can be really difficult to convince people to want to even play them, so they always drag on for months.  But I've got a good feeling about 2024...

2 hours ago, Khromak said:

I still have almost 50 games left on my list of games I'd like to beat this year that are still on the list. Some for points, some first time clears for me personally. That definitely won't happen, I'm sure other people will clear half+ of them before I get to them, but they should get done one way or the other.

I think we're gonna crush it this year! Maybe once we finish the list we can add bonus games later in the year to celebrate.

Must be nice.  I've been sniped left and right 😆 I've been focused on first time beats, but every time I go to do one someone ninjas in on me 😆 

Double Dragon III is done.

It'd been a little while and at first if I missed a jump kick I kept trying to do a hyper uppercut.  Then I kept trying to pick up knives, bottles etc by using "B" and attacking someone on my left with "B", whoops!  But a few minutes in all was righted.  It seems DDII haunts me...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Looks can be deceiving though; the last 100 are such a pain in the ass that it can be really difficult to convince people to want to even play them, so they always drag on for months.  But I've got a good feeling about 2024...

This is pretty much where I'm at, too. I expect the next 100 games to pass pretty quickly (maybe by the end of February), and then things will probably start to drag.

And my contributions will fall off a lot pretty soon, too. I know I said I was stepping back a few weeks ago, and I meant it. I just had a lot of free time during the most fun part of this thread, but my obligations are increasing as the most interesting games continue to dwindle. There are some mediocre games that I've beaten year after year for the points that I'm just not going to do this year. I *may* be willing to pick up a few of them if this thread is showing signs of achieving its goal, and those games manage to linger on the board for several months. (I'm hoping they won't...)

Back To The Future is done.

I played through it 4 times today and had successful DeLorean runs at the end of two.  On one of my failed DeLorean runs I would have no-deathed it so that was unfortunate.  But the biggest challenge came, by far, from the fact that my BTTF Cart took a dump since the last time I popped it in and all the screens with writing have a bunch of capitol "H's" all over them.  The street stages look more or less normal but the first two mini games were all glitched out.  "Break Lorraine's heart at the library" wasn't really any more difficult but the "Diner Scene" which I can normally rock was rather frustrating to play like this, lol.  It's a good condition cart and the contacts are in great condition and super clean so I know it's not something temporary.  Oddly the other two mini games were fine.  "The Enchantment Under The Sea Guitar extravaganza" and the "DeLorean run", that is, looked fine...

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 9.12.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 9.20.26 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Pirates is done.

0xissch.png

I ended my journeyman campaign with an angry, thieving, mutinous crew who stole half my gold and 90/100 score. A short 10 minute expedition later where all I did was marry the best wife and retire bumped me up to 100/100.

I tried the prosperous 1600s a couple times but had a real hard time making everyone happy because the non-Spanish nations kept making war with each other rather than the Spanish. 1560 is great because everyone just hates the Spanish. In 1560, you have to repeatedly attack weak Spanish towns to install English/French/Dutch governments so you can rise in their ranks (almost everything starts out Spanish).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 454/677
3 minutes ago, McBryce said:

Also, if anyone owns a manual for this, it sorely needs a re-scan. The one on DigitPress is barely legible.

I dunno, I can read it just fine on my phone.  No offense intended here, but maybe you need glasses?  Like its a little blurry, but far from "barely legible" imo.