Hey, OptOut! You're an idiot! ×
IGNORED

VGS Christmas Contest 2023 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Well I seem to have broken it. First picture is when the ball first got stuck between two bumpers. I had by far my high score at 5.5 million when the ball got stuck there. Second picture shows it 10ish hours later at 15 million. Seems to go less than a million an hour, but more than 500k. It moves slow and I am about to call it to free up my NES, but it will run forever like that. I posted this in the wrong thread earlier and apparently @RH stumbled upon the glitch as well.  He has been running his NES on it for days and is probably around 50 million now, so first is out of reach anyhow. 

5.58 million.jpg

15,015,540.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

34 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Well I seem to have broken it. First picture is when the ball first got stuck between two bumpers. I had by far my high score at 5.5 million when the ball got stuck there. Second picture shows it 6 or 7 hours later at 12 million. Seems to go less than a million an hour, but more than 500k. It moves slow and I am about to call it to free up my NES, but it will run forever like that. I posted this in the wrong thread earlier and apparently @RH stumbled upon the glitch as well.  He has been running his NES on it for days and is probably around 50 million now, so first is out of reach anyhow. 

5.58 million.jpg

12.045,090.jpg

Ooh! You cheaters! You stinks!
You overstuffed rats!
You fattened up finks!

How?

How!
     HOW!
           HOW?!

How dare you try to out grinch The Grinch?!
Yet I won't waiver
I won't flinch
I'll still steal that cart!
And the stealing will be a cinch!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Well I seem to have broken it. First picture is when the ball first got stuck between two bumpers. I had by far my high score at 5.5 million when the ball got stuck there. Second picture shows it 10ish hours later at 15 million. Seems to go less than a million an hour, but more than 500k. It moves slow and I am about to call it to free up my NES, but it will run forever like that. I posted this in the wrong thread earlier and apparently @RH stumbled upon the glitch as well.  He has been running his NES on it for days and is probably around 50 million now, so first is out of reach anyhow. 

9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

so first is out of reach anyhow. 

I wouldn't think exploiting a glitch like that would be an accepted score. @ZeldaFreak care to weigh in?

Events Team · Posted

@NESfiend @RH

So, these contests don't have any explicit rules against in-game exploits, since under normal circumstances, I'd be inclined to allow them. You discovered a way to up your score faster/more efficiently than you'd normally be able to, more power to you. However... yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and say doing this isn't allowed, scores using this method won't be counted towards the leaderboard. The fact that once the glitch happens, you can literally just sit there and do nothing, and wait for the score to slowly climb pushes it over the edge for me. That ruins both the fun, and the point of this contest. Sorry guys!

@NESfiend I'll still count your 5.5 mil score since that was acquired prior to abusing the glitch, but @RH if you're putting all your eggs in to that basket, well... time to get some more practice in!

I actually think from this point forward, I will probably go ahead and add to the ruleset that you aren't allowed to abuse an in-game exploit like this to up your score, if it completely dodges the need to actually PLAY the game. I'll say in the future, if anyone discovers any exploits like this, ask me about it first before assuming that I'll allow it. Can always PM me if you don't want other people to discover it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted

I updated the ruleset, for this contest and all future contests, to just blanket not allow in-game exploits/glitches that allow you to increase your score/progress in a way that wasn't intended, figured that'd be simpler.

Feel free to give your opinions on this change though, as I know not everyone would agree with that decision and I'd be curious to know everyone's thoughts on the matter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I updated the ruleset, for this contest and all future contests, to just blanket not allow in-game exploits/glitches that allow you to increase your score/progress in a way that wasn't intended, figured that'd be simpler.

Feel free to give your opinions on this change though, as I know not everyone would agree with that decision and I'd be curious to know everyone's thoughts on the matter.

In "real life" pinball tournaments etc., if the machine is acting weird/not-as-it-should,   it gets shut down and removed from play.

In this scenario, it would be interesting if the players could get the ball loose (after getting stuck) because the game is technically still live until the ball drains (at least in my opinion and according to "real life" pinball). So the score wouldn't count until the ball drains.

But yeah in-game exploits/glitches should be considered when they come up. 

Fun contest so far! I've been playing 2022 8-bit Xmas as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

@NESfiend @RH

So, these contests don't have any explicit rules against in-game exploits, since under normal circumstances, I'd be inclined to allow them. You discovered a way to up your score faster/more efficiently than you'd normally be able to, more power to you. However... yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and say doing this isn't allowed, scores using this method won't be counted towards the leaderboard. The fact that once the glitch happens, you can literally just sit there and do nothing, and wait for the score to slowly climb pushes it over the edge for me. That ruins both the fun, and the point of this contest. Sorry guys!

@NESfiend I'll still count your 5.5 mil score since that was acquired prior to abusing the glitch, but @RH if you're putting all your eggs in to that basket, well... time to get some more practice in!

I actually think from this point forward, I will probably go ahead and add to the ruleset that you aren't allowed to abuse an in-game exploit like this to up your score, if it completely dodges the need to actually PLAY the game. I'll say in the future, if anyone discovers any exploits like this, ask me about it first before assuming that I'll allow it. Can always PM me if you don't want other people to discover it.

If you will except @NESfiend’s 5.5m, will you accept my photo that over 7m? Why I ask and it might be relevant is when I saw the ball was locked, I put it down and let it run—I didn’t want to touch any buttons in case you could shake/tilt this system.  That’s why I even asked. I intended to tilt the unit (if that was possible) after 10m.  Later experimentation, some time after 18m, I picked up the device, took a photo and then messed with the controls to see if they’d shake the ball loose.

So, in a way, I didn’t know it was a fully locked glitch until about 18m but I do have an early photo around 7m before I ever tried to free the ball.

Edited by RH

8 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

@NESfiend @RH

I figured this would not be allowed. It sucks that it ends your run without a mistake on your part. Its not like I was looking for a glitch. It happened to me. But yeah, you cant crown a winner when its blind luck to find that

Edited by NESfiend

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, RH said:

If you will except @NESfiend’s 5.5m, will you accept my photo that over 7m? Why I ask and it might be relevant is when I saw the ball was locked, I put it down and let it run—I didn’t want to touch any buttons in case you could shake/tilt this system.  That’s why I even asked. I intended to tilt the unit (if that was possible) after 10m.  Later experimentation, some time after 18m, I picked up the device, took a photo and then messed with the controls to see if they’d shake the ball loose.

So, in a way, I didn’t know it was a fully locked glitch until about 18m but I do have an early photo around 7m before I ever tried to free the ball.

Well, do you recall what your score was at when the ball was first locked? If your 7 million score was around the time it first got locked then yeah, I would allow it so long as you have the photo.

22 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Well, do you recall what your score was at when the ball was first locked? If your 7 million score was around the time it first got locked then yeah, I would allow it so long as you have the photo.

I see now.  No, nevermind. That run was shaping up to be a bad one.

For a while I was just playing it as it was. Letting the table lay. But resetting the game has the ball lock ready to go right away giving you a chance for multiball early on. Hitting those multipliers on the left side is essential. Then hope for good rolls on the roulette. And it seems like you get the Christmas million more often with multiball. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I actually just played the best game, skill-wise, yet for me.  I got at least 3x multi-balls, each time they stayed alive a while and I got an Extra Ball more times than I could count… but I rarely hit any million bonuses so I only scored about 3.7m.  It was like a 20-30 minute game.  However, my best scoring game was a bunch of luck hits with one multi-ball that might have lasted 60 seconds.

I know this is homebrew but it just feels like this game could have baked in the oven a bit more. I’m no pinhead but I can enjoy a good pinball table and I like watching repair videos on these machines.  This game could be 1,000x better if there was a tad less randomness to it and if it had better hit detection. I’m not saying it’s bad.  It’s just that it feels like if it had a bit more time and polish, it could be a whole lot better, and maybe even excellent.

14 hours ago, RH said:

I know this is homebrew

It's funny, I had delusions of grandeur the other night and was thinking of asking Bunnyboy if I could license this pinball engine and then make a brand new pinball NES game! I love pinball and NES but I can't code, so maybe not the best idea. But it would be a fun project.

• Like 1