IGNORED

Meme You Just Have to Share

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tenjikuronin said:

Oh Sharon

I’ve seen that one before.  I’ve wondered who Sharon B. Really was and what her more recent thoughts on video games have become.

She was partially right, though. The reason the “fad” never died is because video games kept changing and getting better a lot more quickly.  We were wowed with each new console up to the PS2/XBox before, IMHO, each new console felt like an expected iterative improvement.  By that time, the market was obviously well established.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RH said:

I’ve seen that one before.  I’ve wondered who Sharon B. Really was and what her more recent thoughts on video games have become.

She was partially right, though. The reason the “fad” never died is because video games kept changing and getting better a lot more quickly.  We were wowed with each new console up to the PS2/XBox before, IMHO, each new console felt like an expected iterative improvement.  By that time, the market was obviously well established.

It reminds me of this article.

0*pFVq7xQLCMO2l3M3

Social Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It reminds me of this article.

0*pFVq7xQLCMO2l3M3

Daily Mail again (edit: actually first article was Daily NEWS).... sounds like that newspaper is the WORST with opinions on what will happen in the future.  Looks like they are still around and still making bad predictions 😂

image.png.ae0747c1e62c806727ee3bfeb017f34b.png

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tenjikuronin said:

Oh Sharon

In 1982, video games mostly meant arcades, and that goes double if you weren't a gamer, so in that sense, she's not really wrong.  But now that the term "video games" encompasses pretty much any game on earth where you interact with a screen, it makes her comments seem ridiculous in hindsight...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

Daily Mail again (edit: actually first article was Daily NEWS).... sounds like that newspaper is the WORST with opinions on what will happen in the future.  Looks like they are still around and still making bad predictions 😂

image.png.ae0747c1e62c806727ee3bfeb017f34b.png

It's like the Babylon Bee, except they are being serious.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:
12 hours ago, Tenjikuronin said:

Oh Sharon

In 1982, video games mostly meant arcades, and that goes double if you weren't a gamer, so in that sense, she's not really wrong.  But now that the term "video games" encompasses pretty much any game on earth where you interact with a screen, it makes her comments seem ridiculous in hindsight...

Can't wait to see what becomes of "Screen Games" once the "Real-Deal-Life-Replacing-Virtual-Reality" arrives...

• Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 11/20/2022 at 1:33 AM, Tenjikuronin said:

Oh Sharon

The idea that home video games were a fad in 1982 (when this article was released) isn't actually all that inaccurate.

The video game crash happened just a year later in 1983, although it was mostly due to an oversaturation of low-quality games in the market rather than boredom or lack of educational qualities like that statement suggests.

-CasualCart

5 hours ago, CasualCart said:

The idea that home video games were a fad in 1982 (when this article was released) isn't actually all that inaccurate.

The video game crash happened just a year later in 1983, although it was mostly due to an oversaturation of low-quality games in the market rather than boredom or lack of educational qualities like that statement suggests.

-CasualCart

I didn’t mention the crash because that was 100% a business problem.  It’s similar to a population crash when a species overtakes a geographical area that has desirable food resources that also have no means to protect itself.  In such cases, you’ll see an explosion of the invasive species until it consumes all of the resources and then there’s a mass die off.

For the video game crash, making games for the Atari (which was super hot) became ridiculously easy.  To much software flooded the market and even Atari and other big publishers couldn’t compete with all of the shovelware that was $30 at launch but $10 two weeks later. There was just too much supply to support the industry (for a time) but demand (which is what a fad measures) never died.

I’m not sure what would have happened if Nintendo never entered the market but I can almost guarantee there would have been some form of re-emerging game market by at least 1990, and it would have taken off regardless.  People never stopped liking the potential on computers and having fun with them was never an exception.