IGNORED

How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

phart010

11 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Sure, but what have they done for me lately ?

They did develop a great concrete which we are only now beginning to appreciate/implement - only took several centuries (which shows that we are really slow learners).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_concrete

18 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Olives kick ass...I used to have a similar feeling as you, but then I saw the light. You can find the video of my olive baptism here on VGS if you search hard enough.

I really don’t see how that happens.  They overpower the flavor of whatever they are in and now your whole pizza just tastes like shit.

31 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I really don’t see how that happens.  They overpower the flavor of whatever they are in and now your whole pizza just tastes like shit.

black olives have a mild taste. Now if you meant onions, i'd agree, extremely strong taste that ruins anything from pizza to pasta to sandwiches and beyond.

17 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

black olives have a mild taste. Now if you meant onions, i'd agree, extremely strong taste that ruins anything from pizza to pasta to sandwiches and beyond.

I like onions usually but people go crazy with the amount and that totally ruins a dish.  We‘ll get a hello fresh box or something and I always use half the amount of onion that it calls for or less.

23 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I like onions usually but people go crazy with the amount and that totally ruins a dish.  We‘ll get a hello fresh box or something and I always use half the amount of onion that it calls for or less.

I always see adverts for Hello Fresh yet I obviously never tried it. How do the dishes taste? Is is quite good then? 

Administrator · Posted
17 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I always see adverts for Hello Fresh yet I obviously never tried it. How do the dishes taste? Is is quite good then? 

I've found the quality of the food to be hit and miss. I actually just recently re-upped my subscription to try it out here in Nova Scotia and found the issue remains out here as well as back in Toronto. Stuff like vegetables gone off way early, squished veg turned slimy and/or mouldy, etc.. The quantity otherwise is basically perfect for the serving sizes, the recipes themselves are okay (if incredibly simple). Just steal their recipes and buy your own ingredients.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I've found the quality of the food to be hit and miss. I actually just recently re-upped my subscription to try it out here in Nova Scotia and found the issue remains out here as well as back in Toronto. Stuff like vegetables gone off way early, squished veg turned slimy and/or mouldy, etc.. The quantity otherwise is basically perfect for the serving sizes, the recipes themselves are okay (if incredibly simple). Just steal their recipes and buy your own ingredients.

We tend to bounce between whichever service is offering the best deals at the moment.  I’ve found the vegetables and stuff to usually be fine.  I do steal their moves all the time for my own cooking though.  We will get a box usually when we’re going to have a busy week because it takes all the thinking out which is nice.  Most of the work is chopping vegetables lol.  Some of the dishes are really good but some of it is meh.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

We tend to bounce between whichever service is offering the best deals at the moment.  I’ve found the vegetables and stuff to usually be fine.  I do steal their moves all the time for my own cooking though.  We will get a box usually when we’re going to have a busy week because it takes all the thinking out which is nice.  Most of the work is chopping vegetables lol.  Some of the dishes are really good but some of it is meh.

I find their burgers to be especially "meh", personally. There was a promising sounding dill cream cheese topping last week but it was really dull.

At least once a day. I listen to several ancient history and Byzantine history podcasts, and am rereading the Aeneid at the moment.

Even though he's pre-Empire, Caesar's influence still resonates to this day. Diocletian and Constantine I are right up there too in terms of impact on European history up until the Renaissance.

Edited by Daniel_Doyce
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I took Latin for three years in high school so the answer is NEVER.  I buried those bad memories deep deep down to never think of them again.

Yeah I was part of the crew that took Latin in high school too. It was a miserable language to learn, but the teacher was amazing.

18 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah I was part of the crew that took Latin in high school too. It was a miserable language to learn, but the teacher was amazing.

Was not by choice.  I think it's got a formal name, "classical education".  But EVERYONE had to take it if you when there.  There were weirdo's who volunteered for the 4th year of it.  Teachers were all good.  Hell the high school in general has for the most part amazing teachers with a few exceptions that were meh.  But composulary 3 years of speaking a dead language.  I would of much more preferred Japanese or Spanish.  I ended up taking German for 2 years and that wasn't too bad.  I would of been WAY more into it had I been into beer when I learned the language.