IGNORED

Game Debate #171: Dragon Age Origins

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

It gets a 10 from me, and it actually gets better as the years go by.  When this game was new, I thought there would be games like it forever.  It seemed we were just awash with excellent single player games, and the halcyon days would never end.  However, the great story driven epics coming out of Bioware seem to now be a thing of the past, and there just hasn't quite been a character set like this game had ever since.  Morrigan and Allistair might be the greatest video game companions of all time, and the lore created with this game was just fabulous.  Wardens, Dragons, Mages, Elves - absolutely brilliant world building with enough original ideas and a balance of classically recognizable races and classes.  Even the DLC is excellent.  The gameplay and visuals are probably a bit dated in 2023, but I remember them fondly.

I will say that as a series, the 3 main games are all very different, so this isn't a case of wanting to rate the 3rd game higher.  Origins is definitely my favorite.

Edited by wongojack

33 minutes ago, B.A. said:

This is the game that cured be of my Nintendo fanboyism. It was the first game not on a Nintendo platform that I really got into, the reason I bought an xbox 360.  Absolutely loved this game. 

It doesn’t have to be either/or. I love both the NES and Genesis and later the N64 and PSX for me were awesome and well loved, but it does make me wonder why you didn’t like the PS1 era?

I mean, if I had to pick one of the two (N64 vs PSX), it’d be the PSX because you can’t throw a rock at the library of thousands of games and not hit a classic, in any genre.

I love the N64 a lot, but it’s quite clear that SONY killed the competition in that generation.

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

That’s the one.  I‘m not really the biggest fan of the open world thing.

Dragon Age is a weird series, in that each game so far is a kind of window into games at the time. Origins was an attempt at a spiritual successor to Baldurs Gate, DA2 was much more action oriented and easier overall, while Inquisition went all in on open world. 

I really like the series itself though, especially for the roleplaying and storytelling, so I'm looking forward to the 4th game, Dreadwolf. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is the very first one, right? I started playing this WAY back in the day, probably when it was still relatively new but I only remember getting like an hour or so into it...and then my memory of anything about the game vanishes. I still own my copy. I can see it right on the shelf behind me. But I simply don't recall why I stopped playing and I somehow haven't picked it back up since. I probably got distracted by some other game, or maybe that was around the time my Xbox started crapping out on me. It's hard to say.

Will I ever get back to it? Honestly...probably not. Just too many other games. And these days, it would be competing for time with the likes of Baldur's Gate 3. Sorry, Dragon Age. I know you're well-loved. Looks like I missed the boat.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

This is the very first one, right? I started playing this WAY back in the day, probably when it was still relatively new but I only remember getting like an hour or so into it...and then my memory of anything about the game vanishes. I still own my copy. I can see it right on the shelf behind me. But I simply don't recall why I stopped playing and I somehow haven't picked it back up since. I probably got distracted by some other game, or maybe that was around the time my Xbox started crapping out on me. It's hard to say.

Will I ever get back to it? Honestly...probably not. Just too many other games. And these days, it would be competing for time with the likes of Baldur's Gate 3. Sorry, Dragon Age. I know you're well-loved. Looks like I missed the boat.

The irony is that DAO was the spiritual Baldur's Gate 3

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You also never seen him again after the first 6 seconds of the game

It's the dude at your camp. When I met him, he asked me to free his family's tower from ghosts or something. When I said yes, the XBL Marketplace purchase content window popped up.

I shut the game off and never played it again.

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, Gentlegamer said:

It's the dude at your camp. When I met him, he asked me to free his family's tower from ghosts or something. When I said yes, the XBL Marketplace purchase content window popped up.

I shut the game off and never played it again.

I don't get this attitude. The game had an update which added paid dlc, so they added an in-game character to let you know about it. Like, what's even the problem? THAT makes you uninstall the game? Something you could easily just straight up ignore? 

It's sad to me that people will deprive themselves of genuinely great games for such petty reasons. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I don't get this attitude. The game had an update which added paid dlc, so they added an in-game character to let you know about it. Like, what's even the problem? THAT makes you uninstall the game? Something you could easily just straight up ignore? 

It's sad to me that people will deprive themselves of genuinely great gaben for such petty reasons. 

Yeah I agree. I had actually totally forgotten about that guy.

The DLC wasn't forced upon you to win the game or act like a loot box. Yes DLC sucks vs old school expansions but as long as they aren't a requirement to finish the game then I just ignore them and enjoy the game. The game is great and not worth uninstalling over something so insignificant. 

• Agree 1